A Random Thread! (Everyone can post!) [*NEW POLL*]

Do you think there should be a secret message in this forum every week?

• Yes!

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • No!

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • I Don't Know!

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

tesseract

Master member
Lippisch's Aerodyne consisted of an engine within a ducted shroud that exhausted through a pair of vectored cascades that provided both the propulsive lift when in VTOL mode and then shifted via a series of vanes to provide forward thrust while retaining enough of a downward thrust component to stay airborne without the use of wings. A conventional tail unit provided directional control while in forward flight.
View attachment 182430
:)(y)

leaded50

Legendary member
  • Length: 5.5 metres (18 ft)
  • Width: 1.9 metres (6 ft 3 in)
  • Fan Diameter: 1.1 metres (3 ft 7 in)
In 1967, Dornier picked up the Lippisch Aerodyne concept with the intent on further development. The Dornier Aerodyne was the designation of an unmanned "wingless" VTOL aircraft. Conceived by Alexander Lippisch, it was developed and built by Dornier on behalf of the Federal German Ministry of Defense. Lippisch was part of the team. The first flight took place on 18 September 1972. The development ended on 30 November 1972 after successful hovering-flight testing with the aircraft. Experimentation did not continue due to lack of interest in the Bundeswehr (German Armed Forces), and/or the desire to undertake plans for manned helicopters.

The principle behind the Aerodyne is the combination of lift and thrust production in a single construction unit and flow channel, i.e. a ducted fan. Flaps at the end of the fan divert the outflowing air to produce lift, thrust, or a combination of both. As a result, the Aerodyne could be steered and flown in the entire range between hovering and full-forward flight.
For forward flight, the Aerodyne had a conventional tail unit at the rear, which allowed for pitch and yaw control. The equipment was unmanned and operated by remote control.
It was intended to be a land- or ship-supported drone (UAV) for aerial reconnaissance.

---so yes, if get enough thrust, a model will be flyable !
underside of the Aerodyne
AerodyneLowAngle.jpg

original from rear:
nas1.jpg

Last edited:

tesseract

Master member
Hey every1! I'm gonna make an FT Tiny Trainer in the next week or so so that I can learn to fly with a real plane. I've been using sims, but sims aren't exactly real, per se. I'm thinking I'll also make a pair of landing gear, skis, and floats so I can fly it every day (almost). Wish me luck!
images

Piotrsko

Master member
Be advised that while my son can outfly me on the sim on the order of 1000 times, he has NOT ever flown sucessfully without major crashing damage in reality.

Make sure it has decent flight characteristics by testing it old school before you attempt controlled flight, it will help loads.

tesseract

Master member
Be advised that while my son can outfly me on the sim on the order of 1000 times, he has NOT ever flown sucessfully without major crashing damage in reality.

Make sure it has decent flight characteristics by testing it old school before you attempt controlled flight, it will help loads.
Okay...sounds good! I have a humidifier I can get my hands on, so I have a artificial wind tunnel in the works.
images

images

Yusernaym

I'm just confused as to why you want to do wind tunnel testing. A glide test will tell you a lot more than a jerry rigged wind tunnel. As long as your plane is close to symmetrical and the center of gravity is right, you'll be fine.

tesseract

Master member
I'm just confused as to why you want to do wind tunnel testing. A glide test will tell you a lot more than a jerry rigged wind tunnel. As long as your plane is close to symmetrical and the center of gravity is right, you'll be fine.
You have a point, but if I use wind tunnel before gliding, it minimizes risk of crashing. I will use glide test afterwards, though :)