Adventuring into my first MS design. BF-109 G2.

bwarz

Master member
the 109 have airintakes/cooling on side of cowl, that can be suited for extra cooling intakes for eg. battery and such.
Eg. as my scetch here, with opening in fuselage
I'll have to take a look! The intake under cowl just in front of the wing is functional. I'm planning on installing the ESC under the power pod so it can get into that airflow. The design to doesn't make it easy to get at it after the power pod is in, so I make rework the plans to accommodate.
The tough part I guess is air exhaust. I actually thought about using the wing radiators as outlets and providing a path from the fuselage out the wings, but I didn't realize that until after most of the assembly. In going to see how well it balances with the 2200 and how I might work done of these concepts in.
For now it should be fun. I really didn't do much in the line of a wooden spar as I knew I was going to rebuild, so I'm not going to put much effort into paint or much else in case the wing fails.

bwarz

Master member
the 109 have airintakes/cooling on side of cowl, that can be suited for extra cooling intakes for eg. battery and such.
Eg. as my scetch here, with opening in fuselage
I see a lot of variants with different intake methods. I never noticed that style until you made me dig for it 😆 The big round scoop on the left of the fuselage that I did is on later versions. Some others have a smaller intake on the left instead.
one thing I know I'm missing that would be cool are the guns on top of the cowl, but they'll probably end up being 3D printed

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
A few loose ends to wrap up, the rest of the electronics to install, looks like the prototype is just about ready for some nice weather! Plans have been updated as I've been finding stuff (hopefully 😆🤣) so we'll see how she flies, then make another one to see how the plans work from scratch. luckily as I was gluing in the wing servos, I realized I had one flap servo reversed - had ailerons on the mind!
View attachment 198852 View attachment 198850 View attachment 198849 View attachment 198851
I think I've got to include the spinner disc and a profile. the spinner would just top off the profile lines! I'm expecting to turn it out of 2" foam insulation....
Beautiful my good sir! i shall need to build one eventually.

bwarz

Master member
Beautiful my good sir! i shall need to build one eventually.
Very cool - I'd be honored :D I'm going to hold off on putting the plans up yet until I've had a chance to do a complete unmodified build from the plans. But first, see how she flies! The winds might be OK tomorrow evening per the forecast - fingers crossed I can get to the field and it's not too windy to keep my nerves from flying!

bwarz

Master member
20210424_111809.jpg

Maiden flight this morning! I ended up falling asleep last night and didn't get to finish things up. To add to it, I slept in :LOL: so a mad rush ensued after eating breakfast. Install receiver, motor, aileron control arms and pushrods. I ended up taping off the flaps as I needed taller control arms and I didn't have them printed. I still need to update the drawings with the cutouts in the wing for the pushrods (reminder for later).

Headed to the field and stopped at the hobby shop first to get some spare props (expecting the worst). I love my LHS - Rory took a look and highly suggested some nose weight as it was a tad tail heavy. Two flattened bullets later :)ROFLMAO::LOL:) provided an additional 27g of weight to put the CG at 5cm back for leading edge. Luckily I picked up a 10x6 prop as well (foreshadowing...)

Up to the field and the wind was mild to start, but picked up a bit as the morning wore on. (ended up like 10mph+) My son tossed my mini Zero up for a bit of confidence building. One thing to note for anyone reading - I've now built 5 master series styled planes, but have flown exactly zero of them as of last night! The largest I've flown is my FT Bronco in low wind off ReadiBoard runway.

So to get past the suspense...

We launched it with a 2200mAh 3S and a 10x5 prop. It flew quite well! But as you'll hear on the video once I get it uploaded, the 10x5 prop left it quite underpowered. Maybe with a 4S (which I did not have). My throws were a bit off and took mental notes during flight. I noted a very weak rudder, which ended up being pretty much no rudder :eek: as the adjuster wasn't tightened down enough. Having no tools and also having glued the canopy on in a rush left me with taping off the rudder as well and flying bank-and-yank (note for whomever, I do love the rudder, and it would have been much more enjoyable had I actually tightened things down :ROFLMAO:, well, maybe not that much more enjoyable - I HAD A BLAST!!!)

I swapped out the battery for a new one as the 10x5 had me needing to run pretty much full throttle to get out of the mushy stage. Installing that aforementioned 10x6 prop and up for another 5 minutes. The 10x6 prop did the trick and gave a nice cruise speed at about 50-60% throttle.

In all, a little trimming and maybe a touch of up thrust angle (then again, maybe not) and she flies quite well! We came home in with a little dirt on the nose from a rough landing (which I say the rudder would have really helped with!) and no wrinkles that weren't already there! Looks like she is going to the paint booth.

So the final notes:
10x6 prop
2200mAh 3S battery
max draw 20A
2216 1120kV motor
needed 27g nose weight
all-up-weight of 840g
CG at 5cm back (pretty much front edge of spar)
Aileron throws needed to be a bit aggressive at 18-20 degrees (although I may have been flying a bit slow)
Elevator throws at 13-15 degrees
Nice glide path, might need a touch of up thrust angle

I did try an 11x5.5 prop at home on the power meter and it peaked at 22A - I think I'm goign to give that prop a try next flight!

Last edited:

bwarz

Master member
Raw video - I didn't bother to edit it. There's two separate flights here, first (maiden) with a 10x5 prop (under-powered), the second with a 10x6 prop (much better). Both flights had pretty much no rudder as the adjuster wasn't tightened down well. No flaps either as I taped them off due to being in a rush to fly it (probably a good thing as I'm not familiar with flying with flaps:ROFLMAO::LOL:)

bwarz

Master member
Well I just finished a bit of final work on the plans. Now to print them out again and see how it all goes together from the raw data. I'm going to need to to a little housekeeping on the plans to polish them up for upload, but hoping to get things wrapped up by the weekend. Maybe I'll even get some paint on version 1... (I'm probably going to have 2-3 built by the time this is all done, so I don't need to stress to much on which paint to put on it!

Thoughts?
9c6f3356f64c51862f959c10d4b74c30.jpg

bwarz

Master member
Got to lacquer the model last night and got some paint on tonight. Didn;t realize I was out of light gray for the bottom (not doing blue like above), so finished up all of the yellow as well as the red and blue on the rudder. Tomorrow morning! So in my 'downtime' I did a 3D model of better exhaust with the first print running right now. Also cleaned up the plans a little as well as added insignia for Romanian and German versions. 2AM and I don't feel sleep coming anytime soon :confused: Waiting patiently for the plans to be approved so I can post updated files...

Javiester

Elite member
Got to lacquer the model last night and got some paint on tonight. Didn;t realize I was out of light gray for the bottom (not doing blue like above), so finished up all of the yellow as well as the red and blue on the rudder. Tomorrow morning! So in my 'downtime' I did a 3D model of better exhaust with the first print running right now. Also cleaned up the plans a little as well as added insignia for Romanian and German versions. 2AM and I don't feel sleep coming anytime soon :confused: Waiting patiently for the plans to be approved so I can post updated files...
fantastic job
but I have problems to import with the inkscape to cut it with the needle machine, could you publish or send me the SVG files?
Thank you so much

bwarz

Master member
20210502_234826.jpg

Getting there... Still needs the 'decals', but the paint shop is closed.

I always heard about it, but I just never thought much about it.... painting added some weight! I don't know if I mis-measured before cuz I can't believe that lacquer and spray paint added as much as it seems (although I did add 6 magnets - yea that's probably it...) - it's weighing in at 888g - that 48g over last weigh in! It's going to be more as that has whacked the CG and I'm going to need more nose weight...

On a side note, I'll hopefully print out the plans this week and do a build #2 to see how accurate (and repeatable) my design is. If someone else decides to give it a go, let me know if you run into any snags!

Oh yea - maybe I'll upload the file for these too, in case any 3D printers out there want to add the detail...
20210503_005505.jpg

bwarz

Master member
firewall fixed and paintshop done! I just need to add some noise weight and she's ready for the air again!
20210508_003738.jpg

I did get the plans printed yesterday for a second "check my plans" build this weekend, but that might get bumped as my son is wanting a BV-141:rolleyes: Maybe I can try to do both....:p

The Fopster

Master member
firewall fixed and paintshop done! I just need to add some noise weight and she's ready for the air again! View attachment 199799
I did get the plans printed yesterday for a second "check my plans" build this weekend, but that might get bumped as my son is wanting a BV-141:rolleyes: Maybe I can try to do both....:p
Very, very cool. Brilliant design and build - another to add to my never ending build list! I’m going to need to crash a few to make room.

bwarz

Master member
never finished the first canopy (had a little redesign needed and haven't recut the frame yet) but have printed the plans as uploaded to see how things go together and to video and take pictures along the way.
20210514_000734.jpg

fits on 6 sheets of dtfb with a little room to spare. Time to see how the plans work out! I think I probably should have waited to upload, it was just kinda exciting for my first major design 😆🤣😂