Contest Commercial - Old Timer Rubber Free Flight to RC Conversion

TooJung2Die

Master member
OH NO! :eek::eek: At least being all stick built it'll be a quick and easy repair.

Yup. I would kick myself if I knew how. :sick: Your comment about stick built being easy is right on. I made a new half fuselage this afternoon and evening, even taking a break to watch Harvick win the Pocono race. A little touch up sanding and it'll be ready to cover. Four flat sheets of document laminate film won't take long. Another great thing about doculam is patch seams are invisible.

IMG_2182 crash repaired.jpg

It would be so nice if they would have laminating film in colors, I won an Apprentice 15E and was going to sell it but decided to keep it. I am going to laminate it with 1.5 mill to protect the foam from light dents and dirt works excellent for this purpose.

Colors would be great for us airplane builders but we are re-purposing a product. I think document laminating film caught on first as a protective covering for foam airplanes. I'd like to see how your Apprentice turns out.

Jon

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yup. I would kick myself if I knew how. :sick: Your comment about stick built being easy is right on. I made a new half fuselage this afternoon and evening, even taking a break to watch Harvick win the Pocono race. A little touch up sanding and it'll be ready to cover. Four flat sheets of laminate won't take long. Another great thing about doculam is patch seams are invisible.

View attachment 173134

Colors would be great for us airplane builders but we are re-purposing a product. I think document laminating film caught on first as a protective covering for foam airplanes. I'd like to see how your Apprentice turns out.

Jon

Looks good as new already! Nice work!

I have a bunch of Doculam from Mountain Models kits and have wanted to give it a try on a plane but just haven't done it yet. I've had a Multiplex FunJet that years ago I started sanding and 'glassing it using WBPU. I only got the two vertical fins done, primered and finish sanded then put it back on the shelf to start yet another project. The fins look really good but are probably heavy compared to using Doculam and a light coat of paint. It looks like the Telemaster 40 is going back into dust collection and the FunJet (my only foamy) goes back on the bench again. I love pulling out all these old half finished projects. It's like a whole new build that I didn't have to buy again! LOL....

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
Maybe another video of the same airplane flying would be repetitive. Check out Post #27. It flies the same as it did before the crash. One of the coolest things about this airplane is the climb. Give it 3/4 throttle and it stands on it's tail and zoom! It's unexpected because it looks so light and fragile. It's only about 5 ounces.