F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Not great video, but here's some vid of me having a little fun with the Coroplast version F22.
This was probably our last good flying weather weekend of the season but you never know.
Unedited- feel free to ff through the boring bits...

sharkovios

Hi All,
I've managed today to fly the F22 after the new e-max 2812 and it flies wonderfully.
Now all i need is a new airframe cause from that many crashes i had, it's like squidwards nose, xexe.

Thanks Everyone for helping me,

Antonis

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263

MrClean

Mine so far. Need to get an ESC and hook up the electronics. The engine pod is downstairs getting it's paint on.

MrClean

AWESOME! This thing is easy to fly on low rates, I didn't do much 'splorin at higher rates because it's 30 degrees out there, the wind and my Truck were at my back along with mr. sunshine but I got a bunch of flybys. I swear if I had camo'd the electronics you wouldn't see them on the plane. I also took advantage of a blank lot across the highway from where I live because it's 5 minutes closer then the park I usually fly at. What really is cool is I have a highway about 400 yards away with 75 foot tall bluffs about that so I was flying with the treeline behind me and even the terrible camo job I did was dis-appearing in there. Looks so cool.

Of course, when I launched the plane I managed to shift the camera on my hat. The 5-10 seconds that I actually got the plane in the widescreen shot only have it in the top right corner. Very irritating.

It looks cool though

MrClean

That's not a landing you know.

That's an arrival.

Don't have to sell me on coroplast. Spadfest is under 7 months away, Newton, Iowa again. Come one come all fly anything. Camping on site, no showers. Electricity on the flight line, air conditioned club house can hold a little over 20. Foood, oh man do we bring food and then it's catered.

earthsciteach

Ninja, next time this happens, drop a hula hoop on the ground centered around the plane and declare yourself the lawn-dart winner.

randelora

Hey guys I'm trying to save a little money here. I found a Turnigy park 480 brushless 1330kv and a plush 30 amp esc in my parts drawer. I've decided to build the F22 32 inch version and was wondering what size prop and lipo to use. Thanks

mattplaneflyer

Foamboard

I'm such a noob to scratchbuilding and airplanes XD. Here's a dumb question for y'all: What type of foam board works well, and where can i get it?

I used epp foam. DON'T USE IT!!!!!! I had to put so much carbon fyber in it and it still flopped around. :mad: Then I had to take dollertree foamboard and put it on top to make it more stiff, that worked but DON'T USE EPP use Adams dollertree foamboard instead, life will be alot esier for you. :D

MrClean

Dollar tree foamboard. It's heavier then nekked EPP but the paper sheeting gives it strength that you must make up for with expensive carbon fiber and in this application, you can go with the heavier paper. Won't work too whoopy on a water craft but then the EPP is supposed to be like a sponge there as well and you'd be better off using Fan Fold Foam from your local big box improvements center. That usually needs a little CF as well.

Don't apply the paint too much at one time or the solvents will seep through the paper and debond it from the foam. My Twirl has a bunch of loose edges. I'm wondering if I could use some thinned paper machete glue to seal those back down and the edges in general. Because of the paper, you also have to consider the effects of water in the atmosphere. I bought a really snazzy piece of foamboard at wallmart. It's got reflective tape applied to one side and it's quite dazzling. But it is humid as all get out today and by the time I got it home the bare paper side has expanded making a nice capital C out of the board. I've got it sandwiched under a pile of boards and when I got to work with it I'll have to consider how I'm going to seal the upper side. Plus, all that shiney tape isn't weight free. But it will look cool if I can use it, maybe on the outer wing panels of a Nutball.

Only been building foamies for a month. Know the Noob feeling. Biggest part is the motor/esc/battery/airframe combinations that you must work out. It's rather infinite compared to when I started flying glow years ago. Then that was confusing too but I was so young that I knew everything then. Not so much now.

Speaking of the Raptor, I should go fly it now though the roads are sweating out there. It's over 60 in December here in KCMO. But I moved a Piano yesterday. Today I ran all over the place buying a radial arm saw at Harbor Freight, getting and changing the oil in my truck and later I have my 3 month and 3 year old grandkids coming for an overnight, so I'm thinking nap time is more in order and maybe move and pull some carpet downstairs so I can start laying the Pergo that inspired the saw purchase.

Planes, my Baby Blender specifically, just went on the back burner again.

Did I mention I moved a piano to another floor of the house. Ooooo my back.....

Last edited:

janssene

Hi,

My first experience with RC planes was the STS from Waterdog which I build last year. Now it felt a good time to step it up a bit and decided to make this F22 as my 2nd scratchbuild.

20130104_181924.jpg )

Setup:
- 6mm depron
- Turnigy L2210-1650 Bell Style Motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18545__Turnigy_L2210_1650_Bell_Style_Motor_250w_.html
- 20A ESC
- 7 x 3.6 prop.
- 2S 1000 Mah LIPO
- Orange receiver

My tweak:
- Added additional carbodrod from left to right just after the prop for additional strength.

Maided was today in the wind (4 Bft); flies amazingly easy. I could even set the controls to high-rate. Setup has enough power for unlimited vertical.

natescraigslist

Park 300 1600kv with a 6x4 prop looking for a little more power ...

i got mine build and been flying it got the Cg and the thrust angle all dialed in and been flying it alot and enjoying it needles to say) im looking for a little more power im curently running the 1600kv park 300 with a 6x4 and its fine, but it could be better anyone know if i use a bigger prop or more pitch or a different motor with the same wieght? any thoughts are nice i just wana be able to do loops and rolls and hover better it does high alpha now pretty darn well but looking for some input thanks all!

MrClean

One of these with a 7x6 prop and 3 cells will give you another 300 grams of thrust at 15 amps of draw. Your motor specs with a 7 x 3.5 for thrust but doesn't want to go over 9 amps. My max amps is 15.

Theres a little more umph for you. In stock too.