F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

Winglet

Put 3 flights on the second one. I modified this one with cheater vents on the sides. I only flew it 3 times and the first two were spent trimming mostly. I flubbed the 4th launch and sadly went head on with a fence post. The fuselage is mangled but the wing and tail will be good for another day. Seemed like the vents helped it some. I'm just guessing I was getting another 10-15 percent out of it? I'll probably rebuild her and try again. I still have my origional orange one.

Zephyr1

Elite member
After the last landing a week ago, I had to rebuild the nose and increase the elevator area. So I used the nose from the 70mm F-86 and resized the elevators 125%. I’m going to wait to try it again until the snow sets up a little. With fresh snow I’d hate to fill the fuselage with snow.QUOTE]

Nice! Yeah the 70mm nose looks a lot better on it. I'm glad you increased the elevator size as well. Recently while flying my 70mm version I didn't have enough elevator authority and went into a terminal dive. I managed to save most of the plane by rolling inverted at the last second but still. ...needed more elevator and yours looks really good!\

Zephyr1

Elite member
Put 3 flights on the second one. I modified this one with cheater vents on the sides. I only flew it 3 times and the first two were spent trimming mostly. I flubbed the 4th launch and sadly went head on with a fence post. The fuselage is mangled but the wing and tail will be good for another day. Seemed like the vents helped it some. I'm just guessing I was getting another 10-15 percent out of it? I'll probably rebuild her and try again. I still have my origional orange one.

I'm glad you've still got the orange one, it looks surprisingly good lol. Yeah initially when i went through the Sabre design, it had cheater holes until I attempted to do it without them and realized it could still fly. I'm not sure what the power increase was though. I might have to get some data on it.

synjin

Elite member
After the last landing a week ago, I had to rebuild the nose and increase the elevator area. So I used the nose from the 70mm F-86 and resized the elevators 125%. I’m going to wait to try it again until the snow sets up a little. With fresh snow I’d hate to fill the fuselage with snow. View attachment 152522 View attachment 152523 View attachment 152524
Finally flew this today, and once I got it in the air it flew okay, a bit squirrelly. The new elevators give it enough authority to loop. Not sure on a 3S that it has enough power. Of course, as I was coming in to land in a huge parking lot at a couple of feet off the ground and wind turned it towards me...like right at me. Instead of hitting me it hit the curb I was standing on. More glue to the nose for a fix. If it's nice I'll go out again tomorrow. I'm thinking of putting some cheater holes just aft of mid-wing to see if I'm starving the EDF.

Hineybadger

Finally got around to flying the maiden flight for my F-86 Sabre with a 50mm EDF. Only issue was the CG. The distance between nose heavy and tail heavy is very small. Had the 3s battery in the nose and obviously it was nose heavy since I had to keep pulling back on the stick and had the trim all the way back. Gonna reconfigure and launch it again today. All in all not too bad.

Ranger_107

Elite member
Hey. I really like this design and being an intermediate to advanced builder I thought I could. I can easily cut out all of it but its the building that confuses me. How do I build this. can Anyone who has built this explain how they built it and what all the colors mean?

Thanks!
Nick aka Ranger_107

Zephyr1

Elite member
Hey. I really like this design and being an intermediate to advanced builder I thought I could. I can easily cut out all of it but its the building that confuses me. How do I build this. can Anyone who has built .this explain how they built it and what all the colors mean?

Thanks!
Nick aka Ranger_107

Sure, so the black line are full cuts, the red lines are half cuts, blue lines are a double bevel and the green line is a reference to where the EDF should go. The exception to this is the bottom of the nose - there are two black lines parallel and innermost lines should be red - score cuts

The wings are fairly basic, especially if you do the fold over instead of mold over route. Molded over means you ignore the two red score lines and just remove the foamboard

The fuselage is somewhat tricky, assuming you don't do a molded one, you cut it out and then fold it together, using the bottom plates as guides. ther are build picture on page 3 - the 58th post on this thread.

ringo42

Are there plans for the 70mm version? Or is everyone just scaling it up by 70/50?
*edit - Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
049C3977-2CBD-4D12-875C-42DE313101BD.jpeg
The short answer is yes

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Maybe some folks may disagree, but I'd say "no." I build the 70mm EDF version and you really need to keep up with it when you are flying it. It can get away pretty fast. Mine didn't last very long- a bad hand launch busted off the nose and fuselage- and I haven't got around to repairing it yet.

I'd recommend the Viggen or Midnight's F-16 Viper instead.

TB__RC

Maybe some folks may disagree, but I'd say "no." I build the 70mm EDF version and you really need to keep up with it when you are flying it. It can get away pretty fast. Mine didn't last very long- a bad hand launch busted off the nose and fuselage- and I haven't got around to repairing it yet.

I'd recommend the Viggen or Midnight's F-16 Viper instead.
But I only have a 50mm edf and I’m not really a novice pilot it’s just that I have never flown any edfs

Last edited: