Frog Slingsby Skylark scratchbuild

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Another thing I forgot: the nose block. I had to glue some balsa together so it would be big enough, then glued the block to the nose. After that, I whittled it down to the rough shape. Sanding took some time but I am satisfied with the result.
image.jpg

You can see where I had to reglue a longeron because it is soft balsa and broke when I was sanding. I also covered the tail surfaces.

image.jpg
I love how it looks when they are drum tight. What I don’t love is the wrinkles in the front of the fin. That’s okay enough for me though.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
To be honest, I didn’t build referring to the instructions on the plans. I just put the pieces where they go and they fit. I should probably check the instructions to make sure I’m on the right track.
I didn't bother with following the instructions on the junior sailplane either. After building tons of airplanes I've found it usually works out better for me to build in the way I determine I want to based on looking at the plans.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Glue stick is awesome for applying tissue. I just got back into tissue covering after 40 years. I use Elmers school glue. I like how it gives you time to pull the tissue tight. If I'm not happy after shrinking a spritz of alcohol easily removes tissue. I seal the edges of the tissue with thinned Eze Dope before shrinking. For the clear doped look a lot of balsa tissue builders have switched to aerosol clear finish. A light spray with Krylon Crystal Clear looks just like dope. It adds a bit of strength, shrinks the the tissue a bit more and makes the tissue almost transparent. And it won't sag as much in high humidity.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I finished sanding the wings so I thought I’d put them together between between classes today. This wing is so long compared to the fuselage length. You’ll see in later pictures.
image.jpg
I think the sanding block I used to hold up one wing got moved without me noticing. This has happened before, not too big of a deal since I can add a balsa strip to the left side of the wing mount. I want to add struts, but I’m not sure how that will work with a removable wing. For aesthetic purposes, paper would be just fine. But I want to actually give it some strength. Any ideas?

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Well It looks like I’m not going to finish on time to test fly it this weekend( I’m leaving to go visit my uncle). Too bad I was rushing. Maybe I’ll find a bottle that fits the canopy while I’m out. Have a good weekend. I’ll be back on Tuesday.
:)

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I got back and am almost done with the wing covering. I remember the Guillows Chipmunk had a wing like this.
image.jpg

In the picture it looks way better than it actually is. I haven’t shrunk it yet, but the tissue sags between the ribs on the leading edge. Maybe I was supposed to sand the leading edge camber down more on the top side. I don’t think I’ll shrink it, lest wrinkles should form everywhere.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
It’s all put together now and pretty good looking in my opinion.
image.jpg
too bad about not finding a canopy, that’s fine, now Emmet can ride along. I already gave it a test throw in the backyard after adding nose weight(not Emmet) and yup, it’s a sailplane. Some flaws, though:
The vertical stab is warped a little bit,
As you know, the tissue on the wing is saggy,
Not as scale as I want-no struts(yet)
Other than that, it’s a pretty good sailplane.
I can’t wait to try tow launching. Just need a big field for that.
I tried to do a tow launch with a modified glider meant originally for catapult launching this weekend, but it didn’t work out too well. I will have to look into the method of that.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
I was also thinking an aerotow (or even piggyback) with my willy nillies eaglet, but the release would have to be on the eaglet. I don't even have it covered yet though. Covering it is probably the next thing on my list.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
A late follow-up:
I finally gave in and shrunk the covering on the wings. It’s not as bad as I thought. Performance has improved as well. The fuselage took a few tears and a part of the wing too. It was really difficult using thin CA everywhere. I’ll need to buy some medium or thick. I still have not found a suitable windshield yet, but I’m fine with an open-air cockpit.
image.jpg
I also finished covering the Eaglet 250 and got to maiden it today. Too much aileron throw. Next, I want to build a hanger rat. No radio control, it has been a goal of mine to get a free flight airplane to fly over 1 minute.
That’s all, thanks for showing interest and support. I probably would have lost motivation at some point and it would still be on my desk.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The tissue tightened up very well. It looks 100% better. Good luck with the Hanger Rat. I built an indoor RC airplane inspired by the Rat. One of the guys in our club builds rubber powered Rats for the arena we fly in during the winter. They can fly for a minute or more. One minute seems like a very long time when you're watching it fly!

Flion

Nice build! I think I'm going to stick with foam board... I. An only imagine what that thing would look like after I crashed it...

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Well I thought I was done here, turns out that it flys superb with the shrunk tissue, so I decided to make some upgrades.
I couldn't find a canopy, so I decided to make one out of balsa last night.
step 1:
IMG_0980.JPG
Cut out the pieces. The canopy is 7/8" wide, so 7 pieces of 1/8"balsa were used. I got the canopy shape from the plans.
step 2:
IMG_0981.JPG
Glue it together. I used thin CA because I wanted to get it done that night, but also clamping it was difficult since it would fall apart if I held it at anyplace other than the very top edge.
step 3:
IMG_0982.JPG
sand it to shape. I tried weighing it at this point, but the kitchen scale doesn't pick it up. That could be a good sign, or the scale doesn't work very well.¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯
step 4:
IMG_0983.JPG
Test fit. I have it attached with a piece of tape right now, I will find amore permanent hinge later. I don't think I'll paint it.
I also found some acrylic enamel in the garage so I put two coats of that on the covering. Final weight is around 29 grams (says the kitchen scale).

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Even later follow up/update

There is good news and bad news.
I got the spectrum programming cable so I was able to tune the throw on my Willy nillies eaglet. And, I even got to put window decals on it and it looks super awesome!!!!
However, the Slingsby skylark won’t be towed up(or piggybacked) with it since the skylark is no more(as far as I know).
Here’s what happened: I took it to my uncle’s place to fly it for real, with a tow line in a big field. But it got damaged twice in transport(something's gotta give after three hours in a crowded car) Luckily I had with me gorilla glue. But gorilla glue doesn’t fix tears in the tissue. Speaking of tears, also damaged in transport was my gentle lady. (There is a tear in the wing) That didn’t stop me from flying it on the slope though. I gave my skylark to my cousins, to throw around like a chuck glider, (since it probably wouldn’t have survived the trip back) I’m sure they had fun with it. (Know I know how useful wing bags are for transport. Got to get myself some bubble wrap)

P.S. Happy Halloween (y)