FT-22... On Steroids

Tonero311

What if you put in a couple degrees of down thrust in? Do you think that would help?

First one crashed and crinkled its powerpod slightly with a bit of down thrust being the result. Just enough to look like it may have been done purposefully. It had an adverse effect on the control. I was thinking this was because the prop is no longer blowing directly over the elevons. Didn't increase stability either.
Best way I found to even out the pitching was to use less reflex on the elevons, but that comes at a cost though. You will need to fly the model faster to maintain lift and launching is harder with the model sinking more before it stabilises after launch.
This is just what I thought with my setup and my findings though. Yours will most likely vary.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
This is just what I thought with my setup and my findings though. Yours will most likely vary.
More then likely it will, I won't be adding any thrust angle. It seems like 6 of one, half dozen of another. Down thrust may keep it from ballooning but pitch it down aggressively at slower speeds being the center of thrust is above the wing. Up thrust would solve the slow speed issue but you will be back to the same problems under acceleration.

Got some early morning work on the bench done:
20190924_101229.jpg

Belly pan is on. Ironed the edges flat because of the angle of the sides made for an angled edge up top, helped seal off the exposed edges behind the pan. Gives it a stealthy look as well.

Which brings me to the nose. I cut a diamond pattern out of paper just to see how it would fit up to the wing body and just by looking at the shape of the original nose and motor cowl, it would be difficult to transition from a diamond shape to square for the motor mount and still keep the nose slimmed down enough to not take up a lot of space on the front of the plane as it sits. It also would take up a lot of inlet area as well. The nose was kind of a "see how it goes" thing as the build went on, if i planned it out better or had a CAD program I could draw it up better before hand instead of just trying to go by what the voices in my head are telling me lol.
20190924_101421.jpg

In order to raise the wing up the fuse and get the center of thrust closer to the center of the wing I extended the sides down 3/4" down, this also helps to get the bottom of the cockpit flush with the belly pan, and not sagging down like a double chin. The cool thing that turned out of this is I was able to taper the back of the sides to the original height to help with a more realistic profile.

On the nose however I will be tapering the sides of the cone just like it is on top and bottom, so there will be some profile to that as well.

More to come.

Tonero311

More then likely it will, I won't be adding any thrust angle. It seems like 6 of one, half dozen of another. Down thrust may keep it from ballooning but pitch it down aggressively at slower speeds being the center of thrust is above the wing. Up thrust would solve the slow speed issue but you will be back to the same problems under acceleration.

Got some early morning work on the bench done: View attachment 143437
Belly pan is on. Ironed the edges flat because of the angle of the sides made for an angled edge up top, helped seal off the exposed edges behind the pan. Gives it a stealthy look as well.

Which brings me to the nose. I cut a diamond pattern out of paper just to see how it would fit up to the wing body and just by looking at the shape of the original nose and motor cowl, it would be difficult to transition from a diamond shape to square for the motor mount and still keep the nose slimmed down enough to not take up a lot of space on the front of the plane as it sits. It also would take up a lot of inlet area as well. The nose was kind of a "see how it goes" thing as the build went on, if i planned it out better or had a CAD program I could draw it up better before hand instead of just trying to go by what the voices in my head are telling me lol. View attachment 143438
In order to raise the wing up the fuse and get the center of thrust closer to the center of the wing I extended the sides down 3/4" down, this also helps to get the bottom of the cockpit flush with the belly pan, and not sagging down like a double chin. The cool thing that turned out of this is I was able to taper the back of the sides to the original height to help with a more realistic profile.

On the nose however I will be tapering the sides of the cone just like it is on top and bottom, so there will be some profile to that as well.

More to come.
Oh my, if that's what you can do with a simple prop and slot, I'm looking forward to the edf version.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh my, if that's what you can do with a simple prop and slot, I'm looking forward to the edf version.
Looking good. A profile or small box fuselage prop in slot fighter might be in my near future. I'm thinking an F-5,F-104, or F-94. It's nice to see how you are doing yours, your methods for construction and stuff look solid.
Thanks guys, It seems there is always a way to improve on a good design. V1 was fun, that's why I got onto the second one right away, plus to do the thread justice. I like where its going and it's almost done, just gotta make the Vstabs and we are ready for it's maiden. Will be done tonight.

Went to the city to pick up a some props, and went stupid with it. Like I said I did get an 8x8 for this plane and to share it with the P-40... but I also went and got an 8x10. I put the 8x8 on the FT-22 and there are a couple things I noticed. V1 was maidened on a 9x6 Master Airscrew and you all saw the video, not only was it fun but the fastest flight I have had. The 8x8 APC Sport i put on, ran it up in my hand and not only did it push more air with another 2 inches of pitch but it ran up faster, more burst, torque out of the hole kinda stuff. Went from 0 to full throttle so fast, might have something to do with the smaller diameter, easier to turn. This is a bit of a revelation for future planes.

I can't wait to fly this thing, pump up the endorphins with a side of adrenaline!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My ft-22 is ready to maiden! Too windy today, but hopefully tomorrow will be better!
Thanks guys, It seems there is always a way to improve on a good design. V1 was fun, that's why I got onto the second one right away, plus to do the thread justice. I like where its going and it's almost done, just gotta make the Vstabs and we are ready for it's maiden. Will be done tonight.

Went to the city to pick up a some props, and went stupid with it. Like I said I did get an 8x8 for this plane and to share it with the P-40... but I also went and got an 8x10. I put the 8x8 on the FT-22 and there are a couple things I noticed. V1 was maidened on a 9x6 Master Airscrew and you all saw the video, not only was it fun but the fastest flight I have had. The 8x8 APC Sport i put on, ran it up in my hand and not only did it push more air with another 2 inches of pitch but it ran up faster, more burst, torque out of the hole kinda stuff. Went from 0 to full throttle so fast, might have something to do with the smaller diameter, easier to turn. This is a bit of a revelation for future planes.

I can't wait to fly this thing, pump up the endorphins with a side of adrenaline!
eager to see how the 8x8 prop performs! Also, you should try flying the ft-22 on the 8x10 prop and 4s power!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Along with grabbing some cajones and clenching the glutes! Can't wait for the video of the maiden! :D
Cajones are grabbed... CHECK! Glutes clenched... CHECK!

My ft-22 is ready to maiden! Too windy today, but hopefully tomorrow will be better!

eager to see how the 8x8 prop performs! Also, you should try flying the ft-22 on the 8x10 prop and 4s power!
Yea it was really windy here too, not maiden kinda weather, but mind you I didn't force myself to rush and screw something up.

She is ready gents, take a peak:
20190924_210702.jpg
20190924_210622.jpg

Here you can see how the inlets are way better tapered then straight
20190924_210825.jpg

The fuse being flat and flush to the belly pan just makes more sense, which with the raised wing to the center of the fuse is more scale
20190924_210757.jpg

20190924_211014.jpg

Which also brings the center of thrust down closer to the wing
20190924_210936.jpg

Again another great build as always a pleasure. V3 I might design myself based off this one, build the fuse first and build the wing around that. I again want another try at a diamond shape for the nose that will be user friendly as a battery box. It will take some pen to paper kind thinking and planning.

I hope the weather is nice tomorrow, the woman has the next 3-4 days off so that will be a distraction somewhat. When i do maiden there will be an onboard cam if I can figure that out. If the maiden goes well then I will varithane it and paint. I am like a kid at Xmas

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Cajones are grabbed... CHECK! Glutes clenched... CHECK!

Yea it was really windy here too, not maiden kinda weather, but mind you I didn't force myself to rush and screw something up.

She is ready gents, take a peak: View attachment 143499 View attachment 143498
Here you can see how the inlets are way better tapered then straight
View attachment 143501
The fuse being flat and flush to the belly pan just makes more sense, which with the raised wing to the center of the fuse is more scale
View attachment 143500
View attachment 143503
Which also brings the center of thrust down closer to the wing
View attachment 143502
Again another great build as always a pleasure. V3 I might design myself based off this one, build the fuse first and build the wing around that. I again want another try at a diamond shape for the nose that will be user friendly as a battery box. It will take some pen to paper kind thinking and planning.

I hope the weather is nice tomorrow, the woman has the next 3-4 days off so that will be a distraction somewhat. When i do maiden there will be an onboard cam if I can figure that out. If the maiden goes well then I will varithane it and paint. I am like a kid at Xmas
SWEET LOOKING PLANE! I love the side inlets and the modded nose and kfm wing! It all comes together so nicely! But hey - it means you have a “camerawoman”. An onboard camera would give a really cool perspective. I mounted my GoPro to my old speedster and started the video, or so I thought... when I landed I saw it had taken a picture when I tried to start it. And on my retry, something went wrong and I crashed and broke the prop, and I haven’t tried it since.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
SWEET LOOKING PLANE! I love the side inlets and the modded nose and kfm wing! It all comes together so nicely! But hey - it means you have a “camerawoman”. An onboard camera would give a really cool perspective. I mounted my GoPro to my old speedster and started the video, or so I thought... when I landed I saw it had taken a picture when I tried to start it. And on my retry, something went wrong and I crashed and broke the prop, and I haven’t tried it since.
Yea the camera I have belongs to my buddy who does the drone videography, he isn't around right now, at work. I will have to play with it to figure out how it works. I'll do that tomorrow morning to see if I can get an idea of what buttons do what. I want to put some orientation markers on it but if I do that it kinda takes away my option to polyurethane the plane. I could poly it first but then I will have to wait to maiden it. I'm torn between options... the smart thing to do would be to seal it up first.

How do you think yours will fly with rudders?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yea the camera I have belongs to my buddy who does the drone videography, he isn't around right now, at work. I will have to play with it to figure out how it works. I'll do that tomorrow morning to see if I can get an idea of what buttons do what. I want to put some orientation markers on it but if I do that it kinda takes away my option to polyurethane the plane. I could poly it first but then I will have to wait to maiden it. I'm torn between options... the smart thing to do would be to seal it up first.

How do you think yours will fly with rudders?
I’m optimistic. The throws seem pretty little compared to the elevons, but then they are only a little smaller than the ones on my cub, but since there are two of them, the whole moving rudder part is bigger than the cub. And I mean it flies great without rudder so it won’t be bad if the rudder doesn’t do anything. I have a feeling it will though.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’m optimistic. The throws seem pretty little compared to the elevons, but then they are only a little smaller than the ones on my cub, but since there are two of them, the whole moving rudder part is bigger than the cub. And I mean it flies great without rudder so it won’t be bad if the rudder doesn’t do anything. I have a feeling it will though.
I think it will work better then not having them. are you gonna try a knife edge?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You took too ironing like you invented it! You're modifications to the build are nothing but hugely impressive! You've got to fly it and get video, when the winds die down. Self-satisfaction is one thing. If you're going to post about it on the Forum, you've got to back it up with video!

Ok. That's not really all true. We'll rejoice with you on a good write-up of a flight. It's not the same as having the video, though. I'm flying tomorrow! I've got the Spit with the new motor, prop and a spinner. Plus my go-to MSBP to warm up.

I'll be taking crappy video of the flights. I could just write about it. I'm sure you'll agree, it's wouldn't be the same without the video! :p

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You took too ironing like you invented it! You're modifications to the build are nothing but hugely impressive! You've got to fly it and get video, when the winds die down. Self-satisfaction is one thing. If you're going to post about it on the Forum, you've got to back it up with video!

Ok. That's not really all true. We'll rejoice with you on a good write-up of a flight. It's not the same as having the video, though. I'm flying tomorrow! I've got the Spit with the new motor, prop and a spinner. Plus my go-to MSBP to warm up.

I'll be taking crappy video of the flights. I could just write about it. I'm sure you'll agree, it's wouldn't be the same without the video! :p
Have iron will travel. Had a panic attack the yesterday, the dog came into the garage when I was in there doing some cleaning and knocked the iron off the bench onto the floor, thought for sure it was broken. It worked today so no worries.

Now that it's done there is more i want to do to it, but it will be a sweet maiden. I got some faster props to try, this thing is going to rip!

I excited to see you fly your Spit, no holds barred! Its been awhile since you last flight with it. Now you have the right gear, are you gonna bring the Cajones?

Any video beats the write up. On board cam is even better...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I finally fixed my spit and took it out the other day. It really is a wonderful plane. I did crash it but she’s already fixed and ready to go again!