FTFC20 Howard DGA-6 (Racing) designed by Mayan

mayan

Legendary member
Reading through the article @CarolineTyler mentioned got me thinking. One the original plane it seems like the tips of the wings have a bit of a positive dihedral, could that maybe help with a tip stall?
IMG_8945.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
I imagine if you built a slow-flying undercambered wing you would get more lift for this plane! :D
I don't want it to go slow though :), I want it to rip the sky :). Maybe have two set of wings available like in the TT, one for slow flying the other for fast flying. Great idea thanks buddy.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Reading through the article @CarolineTyler mentioned got me thinking. One the original plane it seems like the tips of the wings have a bit of a positive dihedral, could that maybe help with a tip stall?
IMG_8945.jpg
Yes, it would a bit, by having the underside of the wing thin upwards towards the tips they are reducing the amount of pressure differential at the tips, making the separation of the airflow (stall) less likely.
For a typical Flitetest fold over wing...
At any given airspeed the undercambered tip will produce more lift than the flat bottomed inner portion of the wing. Therefore at slow speeds the inner portion of the wing will stall before the tip stalls thus preventing a tip stall. The downside is that the undercambered tip produces more drag.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so plans have been updated for V2. Made a few changes to things that had to be addressed and have it all on a total of 4 sheets of FB for now. The reason being is because I did major changes to the wing to, and now actually have two sets of wings. I want to see which will work better hoping that one will give more speed and the other a more slow flyer. We’ll have to wait and see though. Yesterday I was just to tried to do much but I did manage to title up the pages so that tonight I can start taping the pieces to the FB and prepare for cutting out.

E3798F08-8F07-4790-A535-F025BC34A23F.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
Over the last few days I have been working super hard to finish building V2, so I can maiden it today. So hard that last night I even stayed up till 4am to finish it, even though this morning I had to get up at 6:30am, so although I am exhausted and so not focused I am super happy. Why?! Because this morning I got to maiden V2 and it flew, it still has handling issues that I need to work out but I managed to fly a whole battery on it. Again I forgot to weigh it but this time it came home undamaged so I don't have to pick up and weigh pieces :). What I do know is that I will have a huge difference on the weight between the two wing sets that I have created, the Master Series type wing being heavier. I also seem to have issuing balancing the plane out this time and it's not balancing using a 1000mah 3S battery like it used to even though I mounted the servos in the fuselage this time instead of the tail boom; so need to check that out. I also still need to make a lot of cosmetic changes to the plane to get the covers and everything to line up nicely, but that's something that I am leaving to the end. I have done the tests that I wanted to last time and couldn't so a lot of things learned from that, for you to be able to give me your feedback it will all be in the video that I will edit over the next few days.

I have learned a few things from the test though. I found out that the glide slope of the plane is horrible so I am either too nose heavy or generally thats how this plane is. The elevator has great authority and effects the plane termendously with every change on its position. The rest of the control surfaces though (rudder and ailerons) didn't have much authority and their effect was minimal, something I need to think about. I know that enlarging the controll surfaces will increase their authority, but that will change the design so I am not sure what to do yet. This plane loves speed it needs speed to fly good, and the way it was designed allows you to up the power setup and get a wide flight envelope.

Here are a few pictures of the plane before it's maiden today with the new set of wings. This wing is built similar to the way the Spitfire wings are built, having an undercamber to help with wing stalls.

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

Here are pictures of the two different wings that I have built and wanted to test. I haven't tested out both wings though because once I got it to fly ok with the new set of wings that I have created I didn't want to risk the plane.

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

I also took a ton of pictures during the build process so probably tomorrow I'll sit down to write a post about the build process including and explaination of what I did, how and why followed by all the pictures that I took.

More tomorrow cause I am too exhausted to think straight at the moment :/.

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - looking good (very good) - did the under camber wing work a bit better than the master's version - I am thinking the master's version needs a bit of bevelling at the edges to reduce the thickness when glued - for our DLG wings we also peal off 10mm of paper at the LE then sand a nice profile - just some thoughts going forward

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - looking good (very good) - did the under camber wing work a bit better than the master's version - I am thinking the master's version needs a bit of bevelling at the edges to reduce the thickness when glued - for our DLG wings we also peal off 10mm of paper at the LE then sand a nice profile - just some thoughts going forward
Possibly but I also change the position of the spar so that should change the airfoil a bit was just to chicken to try the MS wing. Will probably try it next time I am out with it.

mayan

Legendary member
Finished editing the video from the maiden of the DGA-6 V2 and it's long but I'd appreciate if you watch it through and tell me what you think of the plane's handling, I completed the rest of the checks that I didn't manage to last time :).

I still need to write the post with all the build pictures that I promised just really debating if not to wait for V3 and do it let just say with a plan :). What you'll think?