HK Super Mini Quadcopter_ Build Log

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Hi there, been watching this thread closely as have built the same kit. Just got it flying but a bit unpredictable at the moment. I think the issues I have are needing to reprogram ESCs to have no soft-start as when I take off a bit to quick it shoots up into the air as the ESCs bring the motor speed up, also need to smooth out any vibrations.

Not sure about the 'shoot' - could be programming of end points on the ESCs. Could try programming a throt curve in idle up on a heli program (e.g. 20% - INH - 50% - INH - 100%).

How did you balance the motors, did you take the bells off and balance them individually or did you just balance the props?

I was a bit lazy and just placed tape on props until the vibes went down. I did try the zip tie method on the motors individually but that didn't help (I guess the motors are too small/ light and a whole zip tie put it off).

Great build, wish I was in Australia, probably a tad warmer than here in Scotland.

Cheers, yes Australia has a wonderful climate. Where I live (Canberra) it gets cool in winter by Australian standards... however I've never seen snow in Canberra (on the hills closeby, yes, but not in my backyard) so I think we have it fine!

@glydr: i dont think so, before that it tipped over every time, i reversed yaw gyro and it could take off normally now, so i dont think its the yaw gyro. It could be that i tested it indoor so i couldnt really tell if it drifted because of taking off or systematically drifted.
@Kokiemonster: im flying + mode, its still the stock firmware, im new to quad so i dont want to fiddle with the control board just yet.. Ill take it out to the field tmr to see if it could fly properly.. so far i have only tested it in my apartment

just a quick update, I flashed the FC with 4.6+ firmware, still had lazy #4 motor. I took it out for a flight today and it flew great. as soon as it took off the problem disappear,very stable hovering. my only problem was that the HK plywood frame was pretty fragile, I broke my landing gear after a hard landing.
Thanks for your help everyone.

raykiii

Hey! Did anyone know about the HK Beer Lift 2012. It looked like a lot of fun. The winning posts are on the HK website. Did Bixler or Scott or anyone at FliteTest have an entry? I would love to see a vid or episode on it.

I fixed it with some glue but now thinking of building my own frame. HK frame can't take a hard landing and it looks pretty flimsy too. I have some square balsa wood sticks laying around so why not. I'm thinking of reinforcing the boom with fiberglass tape or maybe shrink tube. what do you think? i hope it won't add that much weight to the frame...

glydr

Hey! Did anyone know about the HK Beer Lift 2012. It looked like a lot of fun. The winning posts are on the HK website. Did Bixler or Scott or anyone at FliteTest have an entry? I would love to see a vid or episode on it.

Yes, looks fun. Unfortunately I don't have a heavy lift quad and don't feel like making an octa out of DT750s in the hope of winning (it would cost a great deal of the winnings to make the thing!).

glydr

I have some square balsa wood sticks laying around so why not. I'm thinking of reinforcing the boom with fiberglass tape or maybe shrink tube. what do you think? i hope it won't add that much weight to the frame...

Probably wouldn't work too well. What I have seen done is CF strip laminated over the balsa/ pine/ spruce/ oak and bound with ca soaked thread for extra strength.

Maybe the repaired frame could have some spongy landing gear (e.g. pool noodle material)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yes, looks fun. Unfortunately I don't have a heavy lift quad and don't feel like making an octa out of DT750s in the hope of winning (it would cost a great deal of the winnings to make the thing!).

It's $1000 store credit, isn't it? That's not too shabby... You'll have to beat 3.6kg though!

glydr

It's $1000 store credit, isn't it? That's not too shabby... You'll have to beat 3.6kg though!

That's a lot of beer! I usually only get away with keeping a half dozen bottles in the fridge at any time.

And I've none left. Dad and I have been building a cubby house for the kids. All this work requires a beer at beer-o-clock each day.

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't work too well. What I have seen done is CF strip laminated over the balsa/ pine/ spruce/ oak and bound with ca soaked thread for extra strength.

Maybe the repaired frame could have some spongy landing gear (e.g. pool noodle material)

What I have in mind is that using fiberglass tape will prevent the stick from splitting in case there's a hard landing or mild crash, at the same time remain the flexibility for vibration reduction. Of course landing gear made out of pool noodle foam ( like what Eric did in the other thread) will help too.
And yes I planned to add the pool noodle foam to the other landing gear. I used the normal white glue to fix the frame, so far it's good to go.

glydr

How is it holding up Nguyen?

Was flying mine in the front drive this morning, great fun.

Oh i made a new quad from balsa stick, just like i said earlier i reinforced with fiberglass tape. Very light yet strong. And what a coincidence i was flying mine in the nearby park this morning too.
For some reason, when i brought it outside it suddenly didn't have enough power to lift up, which is very weird because i tested indoor and it flew just fine. I even had my throttle trimmed all the way up. Tried re-calibrating it but it still didnt work.
I strapped on a 3s from my friend at which point it barely took off, but not enough power to fly very high. There was a lot of wind today but I could'nt imagine the wind being the sole factor. Have you ever gotten that problem?

I had a video in my friend's phone, ill post it when he finish uploading it to youtube.

teeone

This thread is amazing! I just got my parts from HK and cant wait putting it together. Besides a RC glider i had as a kid, I'm all new to building models, so really the ESCs, brushless motors, LiPo cells etc. was pretty much a blur to me until i ordered the quad. I do have a Art Tech MD500 (which will be gutted - need the receiver for the quad), and a couple of RC cars but the quad just had a strange irresistible feeling to it.

So, hopefully i'll get started over the next couple of days - this thread has certainly helped me a lot!

I'm sure that I'll have some questions along the way anyway, and i hope that you guys can help me out if needed ;)

Thanks, from Copenhagen Denmark

teeone

Glydr - will do!

Yesterday i got around to fix one of my motors that had the same rubbing issue as you described - the whiteboard marker trick worked perfect!

teeone

Okay, building was pretty fun - no real issues so far! Got the board loaded with KK 4.7, and hopefully winds will drop so i can try this baby out tomorrow. I think i need to balance some props (at least one of them makes the whole thing vibrate like crazy) - but im not really sure how to go about that (add tape??). Well, I'll have to google my way around :)

Here's a pic of the build - still need a canopy of some kind.

GEDV0526.JPG

Do you guys have any idea about the load that this thing should be able to carry?

glydr

Nice.

There are vids on YouTube on balancing. My favourite method uses a seismograph application on my android phone. But yes, just add tape to one side, if it gets worse try the other side instead.

Payload, not much. I have flown my ipod nano (with camera) but I wouldn't trust my gopro on it.

G