hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - the fuse will be a raw 3D print no FB skin - only FB skin on the wing - formers (yellow) in the fuse are the glue points for the fuse outer skin sections - in this way all the 3D printing is linear!

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.19.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 9.53.36 PM.png

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
The print settings for the skins on the planes from 3DLab the temp is at 220 and no fan. Single wall so very thin and pretty flexible, you had to be careful where you picked up the plane so you didn't poke your finger through. Very similar to using the Spiralize setting in Cura.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I will go with 1.0mm for everything and see how that goes - I think it will be a good balance of weight and strength - battery tray is in - all I need now is the servo mounts and pushrod paths!

bracesport

Legendary member
nine hours later - three tail members completed - 3x20=60cm done 40cm to go on the printer now (10 hrs) - the built in V slot for the tail feathers is nice - WOW they are stiff (torsionally) and oh so light!

hopefully, I can get the joiners printed tomorrow!

IMG_6515.JPG
IMG_6516.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I will redesign the canopy and have another go - the Pheonix canopy clips on so I will see what I can achieve - the printer has the joining sections on the go at the moment so there is no rush!

bracesport

Legendary member
So I corrected the front fuse section (dark blue) to add the canopy hatch - I have joined them for the 3D printing so as to minimise the raft supports and help to keep the shape accuracy while printing - the joiner sections have just finished (5hr print), so I can get the nose back on overnight!

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 12.33.39 PM.png

bracesport

Legendary member
the joiner sections are all done - the accuracy of the parts is very good and testing a couple of the parts fitting together and also fitting the CF tubes it all looks quite impressive - I made the holes for the CF tubes 7.4mm for a 7.3mm rod which has a nice fit - I need to think about the glueing of the CF to the PLA!

IMG_6537.JPG
IMG_6538.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
the joiner sections are all done - the accuracy of the parts is very good and testing a couple of the parts fitting together and also fitting the CF tubes it all looks quite impressive - I made the holes for the CF tubes 7.4mm for a 7.3mm rod which has a nice fit - I need to think about the glueing of the CF to the PLA!
Looks fantastic,

I used medium ca glue on the cf rods, so far it seems to be working. You had to work fast though because sometimes it would almost setup instantly and the next time you could move it around for a minute or so. Next time I think I would try the thick ca glue, I believe it takes a little longer to setup. All the 3D parts even the 3DLabprint planes was all medium ca glue, wing and everything and it holds together.

bracesport

Legendary member
And I guess there is always an epoxy option so I don’t have to rush - with any luck next week I can get the wing formers printed - I have quite a bit on at the moment with work.

@Wildthing - I designed the push rod supports last night. They plug onto the internal joiners and are repositionable so I can mess with the alignment - I made three sizes to allow for more options - the whole build is modular!

Note - these images are from running my CAD on my phone - gotta love modern cloud CAD!

D18244A0-F371-4FE8-B30D-E27F83E969DA.png

FBA81382-0AE9-42C4-BE1A-9B533D252F94.png

Wildthing

Legendary member
Excellent work, this will be great , no doubt in my mind.

For the glue, if that cell ca stuff sets up slower and gives you more time I would go with it. No scientific reason just my gut feeling :D

bracesport

Legendary member
I reprinted the front fuse with the removable hatch - it is all good, I just need to remove a small amount of buildup material for a perfect fit!

IMG_6553.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I finished the small parts to route the push rods - I have normally run with bank and yank, but I will go with two pushrods to make it a proper V tail with 4ch controls! :LOL:

The tall skinny part will repair my DLG tail!

IMG_6552.JPG