Mighty Mini Vampire (Fighter Jet)

Paracodespoder

Elite member
All foam cut, inside paper removed with my iron method. Putting a 2206 2200kv motor in it. Decided on a balsa spar because the foam one just seemed not to add much strength. Continuous curved upper wing surface rather than the usual folds. 5gm servos all round, this should be fun :)
Bedtime now !!!
What are you trying to do break the sound barrier ;)? I had a 2205 in mine and it’s still one of the fastest planes I have flown, a 2206 paired with a 5x5x3 on 4s would pass 100mph!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Glued down the balsa spar with UHU and leaving to dry whilst at work. Going to curve in the nose laterally also for extra swoopiness, of course that may bite me and make it impossible to get the battery far enough forward to balance ;)
If it does, I'll make another nose according to the plans and swap it out. Was going for the full nose swap for battery change anyway.

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Because there's no time like the present...
View attachment 126359

Great to hear people are building the Vampire! To answer some questions and comments:

- Balsa doublers can really be any thickness under 5mm. You can add them on both sides of the booms if needed to give even more strength. I decided to go with this solution to solve the issue with the booms ending up folding and breaking after too many landings. BBQ skewer isn't really needed if you use these doublers, yep.
- Curved wing surface sounds good! Beware of it being more slippery in the air though. High-speed stalls are more likely without the drag of a more angular airfoil.
- 3x 5g servos are recommended

Remember to post more pics! It's awesome to see people building these things.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Great to hear people are building the Vampire! To answer some questions and comments:

- Balsa doublers can really be any thickness under 5mm. You can add them on both sides of the booms if needed to give even more strength. I decided to go with this solution to solve the issue with the booms ending up folding and breaking after too many landings. BBQ skewer isn't really needed if you use these doublers, yep.
- Curved wing surface sounds good! Beware of it being more slippery in the air though. High-speed stalls are more likely without the drag of a more angular airfoil.
- 3x 5g servos are recommended

Remember to post more pics! It's awesome to see people building these things.
More build pictures coming this evening! hope to have the wing finished minus the control horns and getting on to putting the fuselage and booms together.
the position for the spar wasn't marked on the plans so I've basically guessed it.
I'm using the 5mm Westboard - so as for balancing....we shall see ;)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
@JamesWhom Does it balance OK with 5mm Westboard?

I've not tried Westboard specifically, but the UK foam I used worked fine. Depends on which battery you use really. A 1000mah 3 or 4s will ballence right off the bat, but an 800mah 2s will need some nose weight.

More build pictures coming this evening! hope to have the wing finished minus the control horns and getting on to putting the fuselage and booms together.
the position for the spar wasn't marked on the plans so I've basically guessed it.
I'm using the 5mm Westboard - so as for balancing....we shall see ;0

Cool! Oh, yep, I'll have to update the plans with the spar position. I haven't built the new 1.1 version yet, so you're in uncharted territory! Only slight upgrades over the older one, though, so don't worry haha.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Dang is that thing FAST!! I'd have to put a streamer on it so my slow mind could keep up with it.😂 Nice looking build too!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Progress this evening. Wing made, body made apart from the bottom plate which will be last after motor etc is fitted ( must print a firewall ), balsa cut and currently gluing to the booms.
IMG_20190315_201609764.jpg IMG_20190315_201617767.jpg IMG_20190315_201627211.jpg IMG_20190315_201634649.jpg IMG_20190315_201640058.jpg IMG_20190315_201758834.jpg IMG_20190315_201755229.jpg IMG_20190315_201748793.jpg IMG_20190315_203619771.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hmmmm looking super tail heavy, hitting that marked CofG is going to be very difficult using Westboard. However, the marked CofG looks very far forward to me. Glide tests will tell all 👍😁

FDS

Elite member
That was my concern also. Tell us what happens so I can add more nose to mine when I cut it out. It looks like you could loose a bit off the tail booms without unduly harming its performance.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Taking the motor down to an DYS 1806 2700Kv with a 5040 triblade Dalprop, on my 600mm wing this same combo kicked 625gms of thrust. that should be enough for me :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Firewall and control horns printing ..... Hopefully I will have this model made by the end of today.... Weather, well I have Wednesday to Friday off work and the weather is looking good for maidens. Hope so as I will have two to do :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
CofG calculator puts it at 47.5mm back from the front of the wing at the fuselage which looks more right to me and is easily obtainable. Flying weight with a 1300mAh 3S is just a smidgen under 300gm so looking at around 2:1 power to weight, that should be good!

Reactions: FDS

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Good luck with the maiden (y), this is a nice flier and it was a lot of fun, I need to build a new one. One thing I forgot to mention, this was one of my earlier planes with the f-pack and I wasn’t used to this type of flier so I had a ton of elevator throw, which is bad for this plane. It’s more of a bank and let it come around, not bank-n-yank, it’ll stall and fall out of it if you pull to hard on the elevator. Just FYI ;).

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Good luck with the maiden (y), this is a nice flier and it was a lot of fun, I need to build a new one. One thing I forgot to mention, this was one of my earlier planes with the f-pack and I wasn’t used to this type of flier so I had a ton of elevator throw, which is bad for this plane. It’s more of a bank and let it come around, not bank-n-yank, it’ll stall and fall out of it if you pull to hard on the elevator. Just FYI ;).
All recommendations taken! Thank you :)