The Best It Will Ever Look

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Just finished my second mm DR1 - the first lasted through learning to fly again and about six months. Here is the second one skinned with card stock and some printed parts. Even with the heavier covering and a 850 3c battery the AUW is only 414g.s. Flew a little tail heavy on the maiden (and turned gustier than I thought) but made it down in one piece.

View attachment 202293 View attachment 202294 View attachment 202295

is it a durable and easy to fly plane?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Very durable, thankfully. I think it's easy to fly. It's my go to plane for a relaxing flight. The only quirk is that the throttle is as effective in pitch control as the elevator.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You might want to check out your thrust angles, a plane set up correctly should fly level at around half throttle and climb when you increase your throttle. I only use elevator for correction and in turns to maintain level flight. Throttle was always considered the correct way to adjust altitude, but if its over sensitive check your thrust angles.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
You might want to check out your thrust angles, a plane set up correctly should fly level at around half throttle and climb when you increase your throttle. I only use elevator for correction and in turns to maintain level flight. Throttle was always considered the correct way to adjust altitude, but if its over sensitive check your thrust angles.
I always figured it was because the motor/thrust axis is slightly below the middle wing so the majority of lift and drag are above it. A little down angle might correct it though it makes short take offs a breeze.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just finished a Sportster and this is the best it will ever look!
IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3133.JPG

And here is the ignominious maiden flight. Good news, no damage.

skymaster

Elite member
That's funny.
My dad had a black lab, Abigail, the best dog in the world. I had a lady friend visiting from Costa Rica, and we went to visit at my dad's place. My sister was there too. We got there and Abbie ran out, her tail going crazy, to greet me & my friend. Marcela took a step back, she wasn't sure about the dog, and my sister says "Oh don't worry, she doesn't like spicy food!"
:LOL:
HAhahahahhaha did you get burn monte

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just finished a Sportster and this is the best it will ever look!
View attachment 203691 View attachment 203692 View attachment 203693

And here is the ignominious maiden flight. Good news, no damage.
Must admit mine did squirrel about in the air when I first got off the ground, I only managed 2 circuits before I landed and with great relief. I did have a tri-blade prop on which in hindsight was a little too big for the motor. I had replace the recommended 2 blade with a like for like size and pitch tri-blade. I should have reduced the size by one that would have given me a more comparable thrust to that of the 2 blade.
To add to this, I had put a variable mix on my transmitter which allowed me to undertake coordinated turns when ever I operated the ailerons. I made it variable so I could adjust it gradually from 0 to 50% rudder in stages using a slider so I could assess the optimum rudder percentage needed. However, I had forgotten about this in the excitement of the maiden and it was only when I landed, noticed the slider on my transmitter at 50% and remembered. This meant I had been permanently adding 25% rudder movement during my turns.
Since then I have reverted back to a two blade prop as specified for my motor and dis-armed the mix temporarily, so I can see how she flies without my modifications. I have still sadly never got around to that second maiden yet, but hope to complete it in coming weeks of summer.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I just finished the Mighty Mini Corsair and this is the best it will ever look!

IMG_3372.JPG IMG_3373.JPG

It was slightly tail heavy but close enough, right? NO........
I ended up adding 1 1/2 oz nose weight to get it slightly (and that may be generous) nose heavy. So after flights 1-6 or so this is all the damage I was able to inflict.

IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3375.JPG

But it is a sturdy plane, fast, and beyond my current flying abilities.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I just finished the Mighty Mini Corsair and this is the best it will ever look!

View attachment 210213 View attachment 210214

It was slightly tail heavy but close enough, right? NO........
I ended up adding 1 1/2 oz nose weight to get it slightly (and that may be generous) nose heavy. So after flights 1-6 or so this is all the damage I was able to inflict.

View attachment 210215 View attachment 210216

But it is a sturdy plane, fast, and beyond my current flying abilities.

Very hard plane to get right and very fast , experienced intermediate flyer I would call this one, haven't seen too many videos of great success with this plane, even saw one where it flew better inverted!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Very hard plane to get right and very fast , experienced intermediate flyer I would call this one, haven't seen too many videos of great success with this plane, even saw one where it flew better inverted!
I absolutely concur!! It may become my display plane.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Having just watched your video with the FT mini version of the Corsair, I am now feeling nervous about flying this one I just bought with an Enya 30ss 2 stroke in it. Particularly as its set up as a belly lander with no landing gear.
I will need somewhere with a nice patch of long grass to land it, or need to retro-fit some landing gear ideally retracts. My experience with props hitting the ground and demolishing front ends, make me wary of belly landers.
Corsair's are not renowned for being nice stable planes to fly, come to face it most classic scale war birds are the same. I suppose if you want a nice stable controlled flight its best sticking with trainers.
20211020_131053.jpg

Taildragger

Legendary member
Having just watched your video with the FT mini version of the Corsair, I am now feeling nervous about flying this one I just bought with an Enya 30ss 2 stroke in it. Particularly as its set up as a belly lander with no landing gear.
I will need somewhere with a nice patch of long grass to land it, or need to retro-fit some landing gear ideally retracts. My experience with props hitting the ground and demolishing front ends, make me wary of belly landers.
Corsair's are not renowned for being nice stable planes to fly, come to face it most classic scale war birds are the same. I suppose if you want a nice stable controlled flight its best sticking with trainers.
View attachment 210233
In RealFlight I've noticed the top flite corsair is actually surprisingly stable

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I think it depends on the model manufacturer and how its set-up. Some manufacturers put more effort into getting the model to fly well, rather than scale detail and aesthetics. The Corsair definitely flies better than the Spitfire, that's notorious for tip stalling, the Hurricane is a much better model to fly.
I recently watched a You Tube review on the new FMS 1400mm Corsair V3 and that appeared to fly well too, (it is an electric version though). Maybe I am just a bit apprehensive because I haven't flown a nitro powered model in years. I guess its a bit like getting back on a bike after a long break from riding.