• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

*Unofficial* FT Legacy (Founders Plane)

Sweet project, right up my alley. I made a very similar suspension on my timber x! Works wonders except you still run into the same problem under compression of the wheel moving outwards. I’m looking at a more draco style gear but this would move the rotational point for takeoff and landing. Looking forward to more build updates!

mrjdstewart

i got the LED's working on the wing tips...:devilish:

20200625_195023.jpg

if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. :LOL:

i designed and 3D printed the wing tips in grey PLA, and then used translucent PETG for the light frame and cover.

below you can see the 4 different 3V LED's. i will have one of these on each wing tip plus a center belly pod.

20200625_195030.jpg

i still have to design the belly pod but that's just details... :sneaky:

tickled pink,

me :cool:

Last edited:
shocks came off for last time for oil and adjustment.

20200629_144710.jpg

filled with oil and re-installed. upper mount has been attached to fuse.

20200629_152025.jpg

glad i went with 2 BIG shocks. i actually had thought about dropping to 1 per side because i thought they were overkill. turns out i'm almost half on adjustment and will need to find some thicker oil for the shocks. i used mineral oil that i had but think i will have to cough up some money for some real oil.

almost there... ;)

glad i went with 2 BIG shocks. i actually had thought about dropping to 1 per side because i thought they were overkill. turns out i'm almost half on adjustment and will need to find some thicker oil for the shocks. i used mineral oil that i had but think i will have to cough up some money for some real oil.

almost there... ;)

Thicker oil will increase damping, and only slow the movement of the piston in the shock. The collars are only for adjusting ride height. If you have used much of the collar adjustment, it could mean the springs are too soft for the weight of the plane.
Consider changing to a thicker spring, with a higher spring rate. It should help to suspend the weight of the plane better. After installing the right spring, you can try different oil wt to get the damping you want.

Thicker oil will increase damping, and only slow the movement of the piston in the shock. The collars are only for adjusting ride height. If you have used much of the collar adjustment, it could mean the springs are too soft for the weight of the plane.
Consider changing to a thicker spring, with a higher spring rate. It should help to suspend the weight of the plane better. After installing the right spring, you can try different oil wt to get the damping you want.
yup, agreed 100%.

springs are for height, dampening for movement. these are obviously very simple designs w/o real valving but i think we will still need thicker oil as well.

searching amazon for springs and oil as we speak.

thanks,