White Diamond revealed! - single sheet DTFB flier

JGplanes

Quick update, since I'm not going to be able to work on this any more this week. I made a slide on horizontal stabilizer. It's more of a prototype for now, but I'm slowly working toward an easy build no glue design. That way, you can easily swap wings or power pods. I also want to incorporate LEDs in the trailing edge for racing. One other thing... I've spaced the holes for a 2204 motor in an effort to have more compatibility, and because I want to make it as quiet as possible. The 1806s I've been using really scream, and it can be a little intimidating to people when I fly in public places. I can't stand the suspense to see how well it flies, but I guess I'm going to have to let it go for a few days.

IMG_8316.JPG
IMG_8317.JPG
IMG_8320.JPG

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Quick update, since I'm not going to be able to work on this any more this week. I made a slide on horizontal stabilizer. It's more of a prototype for now, but I'm slowly working toward an easy build no glue design. That way, you can easily swap wings or power pods. I also want to incorporate LEDs in the trailing edge for racing. One other thing... I've spaced the holes for a 2204 motor in an effort to have more compatibility, and because I want to make it as quiet as possible. The 1806s I've been using really scream, and it can be a little intimidating to people when I fly in public places. I can't stand the suspense to see how well it flies, but I guess I'm going to have to let it go for a few days.

View attachment 142809 View attachment 142812 View attachment 142810
I really like where you are going with this.

L Edge

Master member
JGplanes

I have come to the conclusion that your design is in the catagory of unique planes. I agree with you that you need to quite the motor down and with that, it will widen the flight environment. Going up in size makes this an all weather plane to fly and it is my go-to plane now.

It will:
1) Handle gust even up to 15 mph.(used my wind surfing meter) Last to fly at field. Everyone else quit in high winds.
2) Right itself and allows me to recover even if I lost the direction of it.
3) Will actually hover when no wind!!!
4) Do stall turns and very acrobatic .
5) Will fly inverted(20 degrees dihedral) and do figure 8's!!!!
6) Down low, flies straight length over runway with rudder when you have cross winds.
7) Can do low limbo runs and do them slow, and I mean slow. Should put it in competition for slow landings.
8) Good way to land ship, just pull up, cut engine, prop stops and plops to ground with no damage to motor, prop, etc.

This week I have over 2 3/4 hrs on your diamond design. Keeps on ticking.

Last edited:

JGplanes

Short update...

1. Latest (and hopefully final) design is on the printer.
2. Clips added to assemble both halves without gluing.
3. Made velcro strap pass through for attaching pod to wing. It also functions as battery strap.
4. Removed material to lighten rear half since the larger motor (2204) causes balancing issues.
5. Added 2mm width to the camera mount.
6. Printed and tested clip control horns. No gluing needed.
7. Tested 5g servo screw mounts. I'm a little concerned these should be 9g servos, but I don't want the added weight. I'll continue testing with 5g for now.

That's all. I'm working a full day tomorrow, so I'm not sure when the next update will be.

Powerpod update.png

JGplanes

Looking great can't wait to see it complete and flying. Now how to fit my EDF to it;):ROFLMAO:

I’m mentally working on that... just don’t have enough time to do everything. I will say that the next design on the drawing board has an EDF power pod and looks awesome, IMHO. ;) If I knew it wouldn’t disappoint, I’d start a new thread with the concept drawings, but I’ll wait until it’s a little more developed. One thing at a time...

jfaleo1

I’m mentally working on that... just don’t have enough time to do everything. I will say that the next design on the drawing board has an EDF power pod and looks awesome, IMHO. ;) If I knew it wouldn’t disappoint, I’d start a new thread with the concept drawings, but I’ll wait until it’s a little more developed. One thing at a time...
Yeah 1 thing at a time never works for me.
I do love to fly this design in both prop and EDF versions. Just let me know when the pod is ready to beta test or available😎. By the time it is ready my FPV equipment may all be here. The pod is a lot like what I was envisioning for a full fuselage design. I am a big sci-fi fan and this screams of a fighter design from the future for space or atmospheric use. I was joking about the EDF but that sounds cool. FYI I have used both 5 and 9g servos on the EDF versions and don’t find a lot of difference in the operation yet so keep weight down and use 5g unless you HAVE to go up.

JGplanes

Ok, she flew... about one lap in I experienced a complete power cut, and then she glides down on her own for a rough landing. Crash report: the battery went through the nose (expected), but nothing broken or worse for ware. Just need to print a new nose. However, I can’t figure out why it lost power. The battery was still attached when I found it, but no signal. I was recording video and FPV, and my FPV signal died right at the point of power loss. BTW, I was at full throttle for the first lap, and the cutout happened shortly after I throttled back. I disconnected and immediately reconnected the battery, and all was good. Now I’m baffled. Anyone have a similar experience, or theories why the sudden loss of power?

jfaleo1

Ok, she flew... about one lap in I experienced a complete power cut, and then she glides down on her own for a rough landing. Crash report: the battery went through the nose (expected), but nothing broken or worse for ware. Just need to print a new nose. However, I can’t figure out why it lost power. The battery was still attached when I found it, but no signal. I was recording video and FPV, and my FPV signal died right at the point of power loss. BTW, I was at full throttle for the first lap, and the cutout happened shortly after I throttled back. I disconnected and immediately reconnected the battery, and all was good. Now I’m baffled. Anyone have a similar experience, or theories why the sudden loss of power?

Ok I have never had this but it sounds like an issue with either a connection failure tat shows up with heat. A bad ESC component, or bad solder connection could fail from heat and since all power was lost I lean toward the ESC or a solder joint between the battery and ESC. This is just an educated guess from an aircraft mechanic with some electrical experience, but it is still a guess none the less.🤷🏻‍♂️

JGplanes

After printing a new nose section, and trying again; I lost power but was able to keep it from a hard landing. I noticed that the plastic shell (approx 1mm thick) was melted where the ESC was up against it. So... ripped the 20A ESC out of my FT Alpha, and voila! I flew an entire battery out this morning with no issues. The ESC was a little warm when landing. I think I'm going to have to modify the pod design with more intakes near the front. Also, the clips to hold the power pod halves together tend to jar loose on landing. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the flight performance, and being able to remove the entire pod to work on the ESC by only removing the servo screws was awesome.

I goofed up a couple things building this one (control horns and aileron cuts were on the wrong side). I'll probably redo the pod again soon, and once I get the cooling redesigned, I'll upload it to thingiverse.

Glueless DTFB Control Horn Clips: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3899120

micmallent

Personally speaking I like the concept of this plane when it was a single sheet and easy build. I understand it was fairly rudimentary with it’s exposed components like flight controller, battery wires etc. but I’m not particularly excited see the direction the design is heading now with all this 3d printing. Not everyone has access and this is making the planes less an entry level experience and more a niche ascetic. I dont really care what type or size engine goes on it or if more stabilization is require to compliment the user experience but taking it from a few bucks to all the plastic is kind of off-putting. Im mean if your going to make a licensed design for retail then I can see all the revisions to get the most bang (not only) for your buck but for the end user.
My black diamond is done from the original template, I even purchased some 1806s to go with the designated design, I know I could have used my 2205s but wanted to try something as true to the concept as possible. With a hand built bolsa engine mount which was fun to glue together using only what was originally on the template.
Skins look nice and I’ll probably put one on; can I ask if possible to upload the one design that was on the original white diamond from the build video: the black pixel like squares?

Just my two sense

Thx u

jfaleo1

Personally speaking I like the concept of this plane when it was a single sheet and easy build. I understand it was fairly rudimentary with it’s exposed components like flight controller, battery wires etc. but I’m not particularly excited see the direction the design is heading now with all this 3d printing. Not everyone has access and this is making the planes less an entry level experience and more a niche ascetic. I dont really care what type or size engine goes on it or if more stabilization is require to compliment the user experience but taking it from a few bucks to all the plastic is kind of off-putting. Im mean if your going to make a licensed design for retail then I can see all the revisions to get the most bang (not only) for your buck but for the end user.
My black diamond is done from the original template, I even purchased some 1806s to go with the designated design, I know I could have used my 2205s but wanted to try something as true to the concept as possible. With a hand built bolsa engine mount which was fun to glue together using only what was originally on the template.
Skins look nice and I’ll probably put one on; can I ask if possible to upload the one design that was on the original white diamond from the build video: the black pixel like squares?

Just my two sense

Thx u
I can understand your thoughts and opinion, I even share it in some ways, but I am going to throw out an opinion on this to possibly show a different side.
I have built this design in 4 different configurations now. One was just like the plans with a 1806, it flys great. One was just like the plans with an EDF, twitchy but flys great. One WAS with a modified wing tip section and an EDF trying to get more stability, NOPE, but fun to fly. The latest is a standard plans built with the 3D printed pod and a 2205 that due to weather and commitments at home and work I have not flown yet. I will say I did put “canopies” over the batteries on all of mine, you can see them in the photos I posted.
The beauty of the design is that it flys great in whatever configuration you would like.
The addition of the 3D parts are optional and very nice if it is something you want to or can use. I don’t use skins because of the need to use spray adhesive which my wife cannot be around and I just don’t have the time or energy to mess with them, and then let it off gas to be able to bring the board back inside to work on it.
To each his own on this design and that is the fun of it. It is good super simple, or modified. I even plan to make a larger version for 2 small or one larger EDFs just for fun.
In addition the designer can take his original and evolve it without losing the original. The best example is the Beechcraft Bonanza. Still in production but evolved into the King Air eventually (still has a common wing skin (new ones thicker).
Personally if the 3D print fuselage works out well, it will end up looking a little like a Babylon 5 White Star color scheme (modified fighter version). It just screams sci-fi fighter to me😃
Just my 2 cents as well.

JGplanes

Not everyone has access and this is making the planes less an entry level experience and more a niche ascetic. I dont really care what type or size engine goes on it or if more stabilization is require to compliment the user experience but taking it from a few bucks to all the plastic is kind of off-putting.

I'm glad you like the plane. The 3D printed parts are optional, and I've chosen to give away the design to give back to the community. It's free, so enjoy it however you wish to build/modify it. I personally think it's great to have options, especially for those that might use it as a STEM kit or an introduction to 3D printing planes. Either way, I hope everyone gets many hours of fun flying it!

can I ask if possible to upload the one design that was on the original white diamond from the build video: the black pixel like squares?

I will try to add it to a 2nd skin pack. That one was hand painted with a paint marker, but it definitely needs to be a skin! If you build one, please post a pic. I'd love to see it!

JG

L Edge

Master member
Added fixed landing gear(large aileron horns with wheels) where the nose wheel is larger so it launches quicker at a positive angle now making this a fun airplane in any type of weather. Still use a 1300mah battery keeping it real light.

With the thrust vectoring, it will take off and land in a small area.

Again, thanks for letting me upscale and adapt to a 64mm EDF. It was really a lot of fun.

JGplanes

Added fixed landing gear(large aileron horns with wheels) where the nose wheel is larger so it launches quicker at a positive angle now making this a fun airplane in any type of weather. Still use a 1300mah battery keeping it real light.

With the thrust vectoring, it will take off and land in a small area.

Again, thanks for letting me upscale and adapt to a 64mm EDF. It was really a lot of fun.

That’s awesome! It looks like it may be ever so slightly tail heavy, but it’s cool that it floats on landing. I love what you guys are doing with it. Now where did I put that EDF...?

L Edge

Master member
That’s awesome! It looks like it may be ever so slightly tail heavy, but it’s cool that it floats on landing. I love what you guys are doing with it. Now where did I put that EDF...?

I like to fly with an aft CG so I can can use the plane as a brake in air as well as doing sharp dropping turns which allows for those floating landings. Will work on those for improvement.