Willy Nillie's Barnstormer Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks everyone! :D

I do like the gold idea @PsyBorg - it really does feel like something other than a stereotypical WW2 German design to me... maybe it's the color of red coming out so differently than the inspiration plane... I need to keep thinking about this a bit more before I just cut and apply iron crosses to it.

And yeah, I'm a balsa addict. First step to recovery is acknowledging there is a problem, right? :unsure: Not sure what the second step is, I'm still too busy finding more cool kits & plans to figure that out! :ROFLMAO:

I did get the horizontal stabilizer glued on last night too. Everything carefully checked for alignment before walking away from it.

IMG_20191202_182149-1024x768.jpg

RKeller

Beautiful work! What size motor and what bolt pattern are you planning on using with the cox motor mount?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Getting closer.... here she is with all the base colors...

IMG_20191203_183147-1024x768.jpg

I did go with a black pinstripe to separate the red and white panels (and found some black rubber bands for the top wing mounting), but decided to stick with the iron cross for the main vinyl pieces.

IMG_20191204_231248-1024x768.jpg

I did throw a little bit of nautical in there with the diving helmet squadron insignia - completely fictitious but I ran across the image and thought it was cool. :)

IMG_20191204_231303-1024x768.jpg

Still on the to do list:
  • Install control horns
  • Experiment with checkerboard trim for tail
  • Install 3D printed Cox motor mount
  • Install outer wheel collars
  • Final weight and balance

Last edited:

chris398mx

Master member
Thanks everyone!

I love how a little pinstripe is so easy and really makes it pop! For these little strips I just cut them with a sharp razor and a steel straight edge from the same black covering used on the rest of the model. Very easy for anyone to do!
When do you expect to finish? Can't wait to see the maiden.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Lots of distractions in the past week, and lots of rain, but she's ready when I get a break in the weather!

I found these pics on my phone and don't think I posted the control horn setups. I really like Doug's clever hiding of the elevator control horn by taking it straight out the back of the fuselage. I needed to carve out a little from the sides of the fuselage so it wouldn't bind, and it works great! Although looking at the close up picture, I need to add a little more white where I scraped things up getting her installed...

IMG_20191207_095106-1024x768.jpg

Ailerons installed per the plans using the nice sheeting with built in holes for the servo control horns. Yes, I'm sure it's possible to save a gram or two by bending the wire just right and not using the linkage stoppers, but I like being able to mechanically adjust things so I can reserve the full radio trim for when I'm flying.
IMG_20191207_093712-1024x768.jpg

And lookee there!! Love that 3D printed Faux motor! :D All the holes lined up perfectly - excellent printing job - but when you get your own one of these, be very careful to make sure the screws going into the motor aren't going to hit the windings. Since I have landing gear on this one I did switch out the folding prop for a 6x3 fixed prop, and added a little black / transparent trim tape on the horizontal stabilizer to get some checkers on the rear.

IMG_20191213_150920-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20191213_151003-1024x768.jpg

Hey - there's a pilot in there! :D Doug slipped something into the box with my latest order and his pointy little helmet fits right under the top wing!
IMG_20191213_150957-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20191213_150952-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20191213_150938-1024x768.jpg

I did get her balanced out about 1/8" back from the leading edge of the bottom wing (with an extra ounce of lead - you can see two pieces taped under the Faux motor mount). I hope that I'll be able to pull out a little bit of that once I get her flying - but I do need to get her flying.

I also need to remember to put her on the scale and do some wing loading calculations too... and since we're forecast to have rain all week it'll be a bit before we can try flying her...

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Totally Awesome! I can't wait to get caught up on all the current kits to get the Barnstormer Bipe kits going! :)

The pilot was a sample of what we are in the middle of producing in house. Nobody makes pilots for these size of planes! Production will be flesh colored and paint to suit. There will be at least 4 different variations.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com