ACE All Star Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Was really not looking forward to cutting slots in these thin edges for hinges, so I got a used Great Planes hinge slot cutter. As a used tool, it's not so bad and I will probably use it on about half of my builds. Not sure how happy I would be paying full price for it though. This little bugger jumps all over the place unless you get it pushed into the wood before starting it (and sometimes it jumps out anyway) and it is an awkward shape to hold too.
IMG_20190923_220955-1024x768.jpg

But once I had the slots cut, I glued in the CA hinges on the stabilizer side
IMG_20190923_220942-1024x768.jpg

Then it was time to drill out the hole for the tail wheel guide in the rudder. Was very concerned about the strength of the thin sides, so added a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass to both side of the rudder bottom.

IMG_20190923_222900-1024x768.jpg

Next it's back to covering...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Theres a special way to hold the hinge machine so it’s stable. Once you do it a few times it wont jump around anymore. You can probably google the instructions. If not I can make a picture of them for you.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I agree, the Slot Machine can be a little awkward at first and it can easily jump if you're not ready for it. One nice thing about the slot it cuts is that the slot is just deep enough for a factory-cut CA hinge, while also being a little wider than necessary. This gives you room to slide the hinge a bit so it lines up well with the other hinges cut. I don't do a lot of CA hinges, but if I did I'd certainly buy a replacement Slot Machine if mine died.

L Edge

Master member
Exactly! Amazing tensile strength - but worthless for compression so apply with appropriate planning. :D

Wow, been a long time since I seen anybody even mentioning the carbon fiber tape. When we built our pattern planes back in the 70's, use to use 4 strips (2 on top and 2 on bottom) then fiberglass over them to handle the positive and negative loadings on the wing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sounds like I just need to pick a piece of scrap and punch a dozen slots into it till I figure out how to use it properly! :D

I really hope I don't need that much tape on this wing - not going for race performance! But I do like the idea of putting them under a fiberglass layer rather than on top - much easier to finish that way!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Covered the elevator and rudder and glued in the hinges

IMG_20190924_231908-1024x768.jpg

And started on the wings. Did a layer of white on the bottom, traced out and cut the patterns for the top, and cut the white bottom layer for the top of wings too.

IMG_20190924_232156-1024x768.jpg

Next is finishing up the top of the wings, and then it's time to make and install the cabanes!

If I ever try using iron on covering on a foam wing with balsa parts in the future, I'm going to do a quick coat of sealer and white paint on the balsa so it doesn't show through... :cautious: Sadly the covering doesn't want to come off the foam without starting to do some damage so this one is just going to be like it is. So kids - pay attention to Uncle Rocky's mistakes so you can avoid them! :D

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Sounds like I just need to pick a piece of scrap and punch a dozen slots into it till I figure out how to use it properly! :D

I really hope I don't need that much tape on this wing - not going for race performance! But I do like the idea of putting them under a fiberglass layer rather than on top - much easier to finish that way!

I primarily used the tape so we could end up with a lighter plane that improved the flight performance, yet have safety factor of stress. I even moved the fuel tank over the CG of the wing so as the fuel ran down quickly(tuned pipe) it did not change the effects of the control surfaces. This came about from exploring strapping tape on foam wings in high speed turns. Just like now, what works with foam to better the flight curve.
Glad to see more pilots trying bipes .

Piotrsko

Master member
I'm back..... I take a 2 week vacation.... back in the day, ace wings hardly ever broke. Crinkled the monocoat, yes. With your tape, should not foresee a problem unless you do a death dive and crank full up at the bottom. Top wing should separate first and they don't fly well as a low wing.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I primarily used the tape so we could end up with a lighter plane that improved the flight performance, yet have safety factor of stress. I even moved the fuel tank over the CG of the wing so as the fuel ran down quickly(tuned pipe) it did not change the effects of the control surfaces. This came about from exploring strapping tape on foam wings in high speed turns. Just like now, what works with foam to better the flight curve.
Glad to see more pilots trying bipes .

I love the bipes! A little extra work building them, but they just look so cool in the air :cool:

I'm back..... I take a 2 week vacation.... back in the day, ace wings hardly ever broke. Crinkled the monocoat, yes. With your tape, should not foresee a problem unless you do a death dive and crank full up at the bottom. Top wing should separate first and they don't fly well as a low wing.

LOL! I'll keep that in mind and try to pull up gently after the death dives :ROFLMAO:

man-bot

This is turning out to be quite the show piece mate. Beautiful work. Will attract attention and compliments where ever it goes I am sure.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Productive evening - first I trimmed a canopy out of a 1 litre seltzer bottle. Will paint it up a bit before glueing it on I think.

IMG_20190926_160227-1024x768.jpg

Then it was landing gear time. Soldered on some brass tube so the holes in the wheel better matched the wire size, and a washer on the inside to keep it rolling straight.

IMG_20190926_165518-1024x768.jpg

Then soldered on the landing gear brace and rough fitting
MVIMG_20190926_173626-1024x768.jpg

Glued on the landing gear plate locking the gear into place. The instructions / plans don't address if the gear should be epoxied to the bulkhead or left to flex around, so still thinking about that.

IMG_20190926_180136-1024x768.jpg

Next I used kevlar thread and CA to bind the wire to the top wing struts

IMG_20190926_182548-1024x768.jpg

And here's the wing held in place by the rubber bands looped on the front of the wire and over the back.
IMG_20190926_220441-1024x768.jpg

And here she is pretty well put together...
IMG_20190926_220756-1024x768.jpg

Those control horns still need to be installed...

IMG_20190926_220740-1024x768.jpg

Took some digging but found a 10x3.8 prop in the box - there must be 30 props in there all together, but no 10x4.7 which is the target for this motor. 10x3.8 will work I think, but won't quite peak out the thrust and amp ratings for the motor which is what I want performance wise.
IMG_20190926_221704-1024x768.jpg

I do think a white spinner would be a nice touch.

Still on the to do list...

- double check wing incidence and glue in the wing struts to lock it in place
- build the cabanes
- install the cabanes in the wings
- control horns on rudder and elevator
- receiver install
- transmitter programming
- battery tray
- figure out why the tail wheel is binding instead of rolling free
- paint canopy
- glue on canopy
- wing saddle padding - the fit could be a little better on the bottom wing.
- think a little more about the exit air vent
- final balancing

Almost there!

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Can't remember actually using landing gear on mine. I do recall the balsa insert between the wires ala super cub gear.

An hour later: I used only the front wire, thought the whole assembly was stupid

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Can't remember actually using landing gear on mine. I do recall the balsa insert between the wires ala super cub gear.

A balsa insert between the wires? I don't remember seeing that in the plans, but a lot of things were "assumed" in there. The way the fuselage sides came together, there was a slot for the wires to sit into the fuselage sides, and I think I should be able to go back and fit a piece between the wires too...

Thanks!

Piotrsko

Master member
Your post #54 picture of motor installed: 3/32 balsa piece between wires. Showing on plans. I had thought the rear wire was held in place by the wing rubber bands and lower wing. My plans memory is faulty any more.