ACE All Star Biplane

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very little progress over the weekend, but I did decide that instead of using epoxy and making a hard connection between the landing gear wire and the bulkhead, I would use a flexible adhesive - Shoe Goo!

Also put in a couple rails for battery mounting plates and such, and started gluing together the cabanes over the plans.

IMG_20190929_193033-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I might add: the cabanes need to be trimmed to fit so make them a bit long. I ended up not using them

I was hoping to get away without needing them - my Dreamer is just fine without them and they are just extra fiddly bits to get lost or out of alignment. Maybe maiden day happens without the cabanes and we see if she has any wing deflection problems :D

Piotrsko

Master member
If you do snappy snap rolls, sometimes the top wing touches the bottom wing, but hey, this is an ace bipe with one set of ailerons. Crisp 3D aerobatics is not what it does. Old man at bluff cove said "that thing flies like an ace bipe"

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Top wing touches the bottom wing? That would be disastrous for my Hog Bipe...

Yeah, I think (hope) it's a unique feature of rubber band mounted wings on bipes. Don't think that level of movement would be survivable on bolt-in balsa wings!

Keno

Ah, the beauty of ACE models. It bring back great memories and I thank you for its "outing". These are memories never forgotten. To hear a TD .049 pulling a ACE GLH round a circuit would revive many happy day memories . Happy flying

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The pinstripe tape arrived! Check this out! :D:D

IMG_20191001_223145-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20191001_223134-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20191001_223121-1024x768.jpg

And then I squirted some paint on the soda bottle canopy (from the inside)

IMG_20191001_224834-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20191001_224855-1024x768.jpg

Added a couple magnets for the battery hatch with epoxy - once these dry I'll do the matching ones in the hatch.
IMG_20191001_230053-1024x768.jpg

Final balanced flying weight - 27 ounces - way under the 34 ounce target I saw other builders getting with wet fuel builds, and on the good side of the manufacturer suggested 26-36 ounce range.

IMG_20191001_230837-768x1024.jpg

Doing the power analysis, 27 ounces = 1.69 pounds.

The Hacker A-20L motor with 10x4.7 prop on 3s is supposed to do 180 watts.

Works out to a ratio just over 100 watts per pound - ideal for general sport flying and basic / intermediate acrobatics https://www.rc-airplane-world.com/watts-per-pound.html - right on target! :D

If I remember the wing dimensions correctly, she's got 390 square inches of wing area for a wing cube loading of 6.1 which is firmly in the Trainer / Park Flyer / 3D range http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/ :D

So as long as I get the balance right and built things square and true, she should fly great! (y)

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys!

I really need to get a field video setup figured out. Had another maiden with no video. :(

So I took the All Star to the field two weekends ago and on the first rolling take off she started wobbling around in the sky. I figured tail heavy and brought her around and back on the ground right away. Added a 1/4oz weight up in the nose and on the second flight she was great! Just as maneuverable as I expect a 3 channel to be - that is I wish I could roll the wings level but she gets around the sky just fine. Loops are no problem, and I didn't have the guts to try for a rudder or snap roll as the morning was sort of windy. After getting her back on the ground, the field started to fill up with all the guys there for the fun fly so I put the All Star away for another day.

I did place an order a couple weeks back for an ACE constant chord wing kit from Steven's Aero so I can make an aileron bottom wing, but it hasn't shown up yet. So I cleaned the shop a bit and started another build - a Willy Nilie's Barnstormer 250 - while I wait for the extra wing kit to arrive. Thread and pictures starting on that one shortly....

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I did place an order a couple weeks back for an ACE constant chord wing kit from Steven's Aero so I can make an aileron bottom wing, but it hasn't shown up yet. So I cleaned the shop a bit and started another build - a Willy Nilie's Barnstormer 250 - while I wait for the extra wing kit to arrive. Thread and pictures starting on that one shortly....

So this morning I had an email from Steven's (BalsaBuilder actually, but same company/people) apologizing for the delay in shipping and telling me the kit had been cut and was going in the mail today - and they refunded the shipping costs too which was very nice of them!

Piotrsko

Master member
You ended up flying this then except for the new lower wing, it kinda went silent. Suprised it flew like an Ace bipe? And no they never axial roll, it's always barrelly, not sure you can call it a snap roll either unless you film in half speed.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's mostly because the last time I was at the flying field was when I maidened this plane! :ROFLMAO:

I'm almost done with the Barnstormer, and then I'll get back to putting the aileron wing together on this one. Had no idea or expectation what an ACE Bipe would fly like (this plane was designed before I was born) so it's all a learning experience! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So here's the guts of a BalsaBuilder.com ACE Wing Kit. The extra graph paper part of the plans is for drawing your own wing extensions, trailing edge shapes, etc. to customize the wing. Pretty neat idea! Also comes with the Steven's Aeromodel excellent quality step by step instruction book.
IMG_20191025_150553-1024x768.jpg

The kit doesn't come with the "strip stock" - if you see anything sold as a "short kit" that's what it means. Get yourself a handy little balsa stripper like this (or 3D print one) for best results.
IMG_20191025_153731-1024x768.jpg

And the gluing starts...
IMG_20191025_155038-1024x768.jpg

Hey - how often do you actually get to use those cut off pieces from other kits! :D Another great reason to buy short kits! :D

IMG_20191025_155333-1024x768.jpg

And now some ribs and shear webbing going in over the plans... it's a jigsaw puzzle but all the pieces do fit nicely!
IMG_20191025_161602-1024x768.jpg

Last edited: