Bush Plane Build Challenge II

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My parts came for my scrappy cub (the ones I mentioned in my other post), but to make the motor reversing work I need to update the esc with a spektrum smart esc programmer/battery checker.
So I ordered it and it should be at the PO. box soon.
View attachment 202825
ESC reversing huh.
Does anybody know if an FT 35 amp esc could also do that? That could be fun to mess around with.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I may enter into this!
I've never done any online RC challenges.
Do I just build the plane, post the video and all that? Or is there any small things I should know ahead of time?

Just waiting for my local store to finally get some foam!
Nope, nothing to it! Just post a video for each of the challenges. Rules are on the first page.

Like @Ketchup said, some of the challenges can be a little hard on the equipment! Lol. I'd say a c pack size would be better...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I also used 1/8" steel wire. My landing gear wasn't light at all though lol, it's the one place where I went with strength over lightness. I doubled up on the wires for extra support, and I never got any visible bends or flex in the landing gear.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
i use 5 or 4 mm aluminium rod.... that stuff is rock solid
I'd say it depends heavily on what you are doing with it. For lighter loads a 4 or 5mm aluminum rod would work fine, but with a C pack sized plane, the payloads and heavy landings would really bend that stuff up for sure, it even went close to warping some super beefy steel gear that I used. It didn't bend it, but it was very close.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I'd say it depends heavily on what you are doing with it. For lighter loads a 4 or 5mm aluminum rod would work fine, but with a C pack sized plane, the payloads and heavy landings would really bend that stuff up for sure, it even went close to warping some super beefy steel gear that I used. It didn't bend it, but it was very close.
sorry but i would have to argue against that.... but hey i'll do a strength test

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
sorry but i would have to argue against that.... but hey i'll do a strength test
Make a video, I would like to see it for sure, and it would be a good thing to use for comparisons too.
I said what I said because of some experience that I have had with materials like this and the forces at play. I have absolutely no doubt that even a 5mm piece of aluminum would have some warping or bending after having to support a 5 pound plane doing a hard landing.
Since you are going to put your own plane in this challenge anyways, maybe we could see what happens then. A good learning moment is always nice, no matter who is correct in this situation.
Also, just to clarify, what planes have you used the aluminum rod in?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@Ketchup Yeah, I remember your gear was quite sturdy lol
I went with the heavy 1/8" steel rod but only used single piece and braced it with foam and packing tape for reinforcement. Basically the bushwacker's gear only heavier, longer, and hinged with rubber bands for suspension. That design was strong and simple, may use it again with a few upgrades.

As far as steel vs aluminum, Aluminum is stronger per pound but it has limitations. If it were a normal model for normal use I could see using aluminum as an advantage but due to the requirements of this challenge I'm not sure it would be best. The main problem is that aluminum has no memory so any harder landings than normal, especially loaded, would tend to tweak the aluminum where the steel would spring back.

Would be interesting to see a head to head set of designs compete in the challenge!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Make a video, I would like to see it for sure, and it would be a good thing to use for comparisons too.
I said what I said because of some experience that I have had with materials like this and the forces at play. I have absolutely no doubt that even a 5mm piece of aluminum would have some warping or bending after having to support a 5 pound plane doing a hard landing.
Since you are going to put your own plane in this challenge anyways, maybe we could see what happens then. A good learning moment is always nice, no matter who is correct in this situation.
Also, just to clarify, what planes have you used the aluminum rod in?
WHILE I HAVEN'T PUT IT ON A PLANE YET I'VE USED IT FOR OTHER STUFF AND IT'S PRETTY STRONG... BUT YEA I'LL MAKE A VID

Bush plane update -
Just made a 3D mock up of my airplane on a game called "SimplePlanes" now I can see how it will be constructed.

Screenshot (99).png

All the white is foam board and the blue is 1/2 inch insulation foam, I could use foamboard for that and make it hollow but a block of foam is simpler. The main tail boom and wing struts are wood and that truss on the tail is foam mainly to make it look better and give some strength. You can see how I plan to make a steerable tail wheel.
The only things not there are all the electronics (the motor/prop is there) but I'll have to figure that out later. I'm thinking of using a power pack F (give it super STOL) and have a wing span of about 35 inches or so.

Screenshot (97).png Screenshot (98).png

It may be painted on the real one but for now that's in its basic unpainted form.

Thanks for looking :)