Bush Plane Build Challenge II

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I said I was only going to do minor mods to the fuselage of my plane, but that didn't work. The wing changed so much that I needed to make some big changes to how I will mount the wing and stuff like that.
The fuse and top sheeting went from this:
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.44.36 PM.png

To this:
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 3.44.48 PM.png

Dang those screenshots have pretty bad quality lol.

I said I was only going to do minor mods to the fuselage of my plane, but that didn't work. The wing changed so much that I needed to make some big changes to how I will mount the wing and stuff like that.
The fuse and top sheeting went from this:
View attachment 202672
To this:
View attachment 202673
Dang those screenshots have pretty bad quality lol.
Oh heck no that'll never work. :LOL:
Seriously, what's happening on the underside of your wing? Is it a secret formula?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
the prop.... when my previous prop snapped i just super glued it together...... worked perfectly
I would highly recommend not using glued together props. They are so cheap that it just isn't worth the risk. Even if one of my props has a white crease mark I toss it and use a brand new one. The glue might be pretty strong, but just sticking together the prop can send it out of balance, mess with the prop's aerodynamics, and it probably also increases the chances of the prop just snapping while the plane is flying. I have been hit by spinning props, and trust me when I say that it isn't worth the risk at all, even the least powerful plane in my fleet gave me scars that I still have months later.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I would highly recommend not using glued together props. They are so cheap that it just isn't worth the risk. Even if one of my props has a white crease mark I toss it and use a brand new one. The glue might be pretty strong, but just sticking together the prop can send it out of balance, mess with the prop's aerodynamics, and it probably also increases the chances of the prop just snapping while the plane is flying. I have been hit by spinning props, and trust me when I say that it isn't worth the risk at all, even the least powerful plane in my fleet gave me scars that I still have months later.
Never do that. It will shed the blade and it could do serious damage to a person. You're much better off buying a new prop since they are so cheap as @Ketchup stated
while what you guys say is true, for USA.
in SA here props are not so easy to come by, pretty expensive and shipping takes some time.
i have run my motor at full throttle for 1 hour, with the glued together prop, and it was still perfectly solid.
I completely understand the risks, and i do exercise extreme caution while working around props, but it's a risk i'm willing to take.
If in the case were i fly in a crowded area, or there are any people/animals/vehicles etc, around i will not use the glued prop, but as normally i am flying in a 2 hectare field with nothing but long grass and myself in it, i feel that i can fairly safely take the risk

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
This will hopefully end up in the plane shedding a prop blade and not hitting anyone or thing. If you're in line with the prop at all you're in the danger zone. Take our advice or leave it, but this is a huge safety risk
as i stated before there is no "thing" except me for it to hit....
i truly understand the risks...
but at the moment..... props are scarce... i am planning to order a 10pack from aliexpress. but that'll take a month or 2

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
no they have LG
Either way, If you're in line with the propeller you're not safe by any means. I normally try to stay out of the line of the propeller even when they're new because you never know, I've seen more unlikely things happen. Let me put it this way, If you're gluing blades back onto the prop, you're just asking for trouble, I don't care if it's a 3" or a 20", you're just asking it to shed a blade.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I may enter into this!
I've never done any online RC challenges.
Do I just build the plane, post the video and all that? Or is there any small things I should know ahead of time?

Just waiting for my local store to finally get some foam!
It's pretty much just build the plane and do the videos to my knowledge. There are little problems that some of us may have to deal with, like finding locations to do the challenges, but that's pretty obvious I guess.
Also, one thing to note. I say this a lot but the payload challenge is really hard on airplanes, sometimes even more of a durability test than the actual durability challenge. Maybe it was just my plane, but it definitely took some hits and had to withstand a lot of force during that one, since landing with a plane that is double what it is supposed to weigh is a little hard lol.

So, what plane are you making? Your own design or something else?

Thank you!
I’m going to try my own design, something like this, basically a forward section with a wood boom and some foam to make it look more structured. It will fly off a Power pack A or I may blow it up to be a power pack C I have no idea.
image.jpg

I just need to figure out the best way to make landing gear…