F4U Black Corsair

richb2599

Sorry for being dense but do you have the specific brand name. I was looking at the Home Depot website and they have a dozen different kinds.

Inside the stores at home depot in Phoenix they have the 1" thick pink foam in 2'x2' square sheets.

bstanley72

Sorry for being dense but do you have the specific brand name. I was looking at the Home Depot website and they have a dozen different kinds.

Here it is. In NJ you should be able to buy it in 2 inch thicknesses if you want.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foamular...uare-Edge-Insulating-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

I've been teaching myself how to work with it in a non-plane related project:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?29640-Teaching-myself-to-work-with-pink-foam!

jpot1

Elite member
Did everyone mount both rudder and elevator servos side by side in the canopy area? Any tips for running control rods? I know I'm going to have to use carbon fiber rods as I don't have any piano wire long enough.

Also when joining the fuse where did others do it? By the wing cut outs like in the plan?

Last edited:

Troutbum24

I mounted them side by side in the canopy area. However I feel they could be moved back a former or two and I don't think it would affect things negatively. Mine balances out pretty well as far as CG goes. My battery sits right below the motor at the very front of the plane. However I wouldn't mind having the battery sitting back a little further since I often get nose overs on landing (if I did this I would design some sort of battery hatch over the wing like nerdnic does for his planes.... I just did it for the FT spitfire and am very pleased with the outcome.) I used coffee straws routed through the formers for pushrod guides.

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks Troutbum24. I have built 1 wing and the fuse at this point and starting to drop in the servos. I already cut the battery hatch but I like your idea of a top hatch - maybe for v2.

IMG_0283.JPG

I already use a shorter power pod. I basically take the standard FT pod and chop it off after the first set of tabs. Unfortunately, Alp's plans use a slightly different length pod, so I had to elongate the cutouts in the top of the fuse.

IMG_0284.JPG

Plans are great and everything is fitting together very nicely!

Troutbum24

Nice work dude. Let me offer you a suggestion. Insert the Power Pod and then secure it with barbecuers skewers. Make sure that the hours are long enough to stick out both sides of the cowling. When you cover the fuselage with poster paper make small holes for those skewers to go through it is kind of tricky but well worth it in the end as I think most people just flew in the Power Pod and I find that when I crash the Power Pod is what gets smashed however my Corsair that I build is my only plane that still flies without a complete rebuild I take very good care of her. I hope all that made sense as I am not looking, just talking to the phone while driving I know shame shame shame. I can respond tonight after work.

jpot1

Elite member
Having a heck of a time figuring how to route the pushrods. Can't seem to get things to align without binding and then get that to align with the rear poster board cover. Any tips?

Troutbum24

Having a heck of a time figuring how to route the pushrods. Can't seem to get things to align without binding and then get that to align with the rear poster board cover. Any tips?

I would install the servos and pushrods and connect them up to the elevator and Rudder first before I put the poster paper covering on. Then I would do a mock install of the poster board and figure out where it needed to be cut you're going to have to cut some holes in it larger than you want and then make a new poster paper cover from the first template that you butchered by putting giant holes in. That is how I did it.

jpot1

Elite member
I would install the servos and pushrods and connect them up to the elevator and Rudder first before I put the poster paper covering on. Then I would do a mock install of the poster board and figure out where it needed to be cut you're going to have to cut some holes in it larger than you want and then make a new poster paper cover from the first template that you butchered by putting giant holes in. That is how I did it.

Thanks, that worked pretty well. Decided this one was going to be my test bed. Need to go get some more poster board and then build the other half of the wing. One question, where did you mount your receiver. I'm trying to keep this swappable but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room anywhere.

Troutbum24

I mounted my TX below and behind the tail servos underneath the main body if I remember right. I basically got it all hooked up and velcro'd in place then put the bottom plate (cover on). So my RX is not easily removed, only the power pod is removable. I kept my plane fixed wing as well (it is not removable) If you do that make sure you can access the servo wires somehow and have decent extensions on them. I remember I installed my wing and could not access the wires and had a heck of a time trying to fish them out. Also the plans for the wing... I felt there was something incorrect about them... See this thread I did a short write up http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?20094-Building-Alp-s-F4U-Corsair

jpot1

Elite member
Well I was finally able to finish this up. Not happy with several items so I didn't bother adding tape over all the surfaces, just a little to help orientation. Unable to maiden as it's been really windy since Sunday.

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG Hi do you have a CG issue as I had to add so much weight to the front to get the CG correct now it won't fly too heavy any one else have the same problem?

jpot1

Elite member
I have built a second one and the problem is the same View attachment 76330

Builds look really nice. I do not have a problem with the cg, balances at 3 inches back from the LE when I put the battery directly beneath the power pod. I'm guessing that your foamboard is heavier than the DTFB and since so much of it is behind the cg you then have to add a lot of nose weight. Two solutions - heavier/bigger motor up front or lengthen the nose to see if that helps out.

BTW if you can share some pics of the routing of your push rods, I would appreciate it. Looking for a better approach for when I build v2.

jpot1

Elite member
Got to maiden today. Was quite windy but flew great. Landing broke through the small hatch so I added some reinforcement. Just going to leave the opening for now.

IMG_0294.JPG

Footage is not the best but my camera operator is young. :)

SKuhn68

Corsair f4u basic spec:
Wingspan: 1155mm
Lenght: 890mm
Weight: 920gr without battery
Motor: Tgy dt750 (rewound)
Propeller: 12x6
Battery: 3s2200
Material: foamboard and coated paper or poster board.

Maiden flight:

Here is my design,
View attachment 40958 View attachment 40959 View attachment 40960 View attachment 40961 View attachment 40962 View attachment 40963

View attachment 42742 (edited/tiled by SP0NZ)

View attachment 41944
View attachment 41941
View attachment 42299 (powerpod corrected)
View attachment 42472 (skin "D" corrected)
What "corrections" did you make to the "D" skin?