Rhaps

Elite member
Current status:
1596177604499.png

There's actually lot's of wrinkles and not-too-perfect seams but nothing that would really twist the eyes from 1 meter or further.

.. until you turn the plane upside down
1596177789868.png

Frankenstein would be proud.
The ugliness is really more due my shortcomings as a builder. However it' is also really hard to pull the seams closed with just using hand.
I later realised that the way to go is to use tape to pull the foam. Oh well... maybe on next one. On this one I may or may not put a white packaging tape over the seam.

Biggest issue at the moment is the same that Johnny had in build video, namely this:
1596178232891.png

Lower wing would fit nicely to the skin - but the former and the inner hull wing cut suggests that wing should be behind the former.
(@Johnny): how did you solve this in your video build?)
This is totally solvable though. I'll will probably cut wing slot so that the wing fits behind the former and make a replacement poart for the skin on front of the wing - which will also fix my other small problem with the skin sides underside of the LE not reacing each other.
It actually seems that the skin should maybe be fitted so that the wing LE cutout meets the former. Almost everything else might then fit - altho you would need to move cockpit cutout bit forward and slightly trim the tail of the skin.

Here is my complete comment list (take this with grain of salt though, someone else may have totally different take) :

1. Use the tape to pull skin halves together (tape works everywhere else too).
2. Maybe move cockpit cutout slightly forward (or move former slightly backwards?). Then you can fit skin so that LE cutout sits just behind the former.
3. As with Johnny's your video my fuselage also tapers up bit too much before rudder. Maybe the last taper in skin is not needed?
1596181006982.png
4. I think that rudder piece that goes under hstab could be longer. Especially if you put tailwheel on the rudder
1596180264606.png
5. Would be nice if plans had reference marks on top of the former 6 and middle of the cockpit cutout of the skin.
1596180484060.png
5. Also reference mark in former 4 to show where skin LE cutout shoud be.
1596180332123.png
6. Top wing and bootom wing have their LE bevels placed differently. Not really an issue, just something that caught my eye. (Actually I rather like top wing bevel, makes wingtip transition cleaner)
7. I found nothing on how the bottom of the fuselage with wing attached should look. Again not really an issue but would be nice just for the reference.
8. It's an awesome build and I already love how it looks (stitches and all(y) )

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Current status:
View attachment 175944
There's actually lot's of wrinkles and not-too-perfect seams but nothing that would really twist the eyes from 1 meter or further.

.. until you turn the plane upside down
View attachment 175945
Frankenstein would be proud.
The ugliness is really more due my shortcomings as a builder. However it' is also really hard to pull the seams closed with just using hand.
I later realised that the way to go is to use tape to pull the foam. Oh well... maybe on next one. On this one I may or may not put a white packaging tape over the seam.

Biggest issue at the moment is the same that Johnny had in build video, namely this:
View attachment 175946
Lower wing would fit nicely to the skin - but the former and the inner hull wing cut suggests that wing should be behind the former.
(@Johnny): how did you solve this in your video build?)
This is totally solvable though. I'll will probably cut wing slot so that the wing fits behind the former and make a replacement poart for the skin on front of the wing - which will also fix my other small problem with the skin sides underside of the LE not reacing each other.
It actually seems that the skin should maybe be fitted so that the wing LE cutout meets the former. Almost everything else might then fit - altho you would need to move cockpit cutout bit forward and slightly trim the tail of the skin.

Here is my complete comment list (take this with grain of salt though, someone else may have totally different take) :

1. Use the tape to pull skin halves together (tape works everywhere else too).
2. Maybe move cockpit cutout slightly forward (or move former slightly backwards?). Then you can fit skin so that LE cutout sits just behind the former.
3. As with Johnny's your video my fuselage also tapers up bit too much before rudder. Maybe the last taper in skin is not needed?
View attachment 175952
4. I think that rudder piece that goes under hstab could be longer. Especially if you put tailwheel on the rudder
View attachment 175948
5. Would be nice if plans had reference marks on top of the former 6 and middle of the cockpit cutout of the skin.
View attachment 175951
5. Also reference mark in former 4 to show where skin LE cutout shoud be.
View attachment 175949
6. Top wing and bootom wing have their LE bevels placed differently. Not really an issue, just something that caught my eye. (Actually I rather like top wing bevel, makes wingtip transition cleaner)
7. I found nothing on how the bottom of the fuselage with wing attached should look. Again not really an issue but would be nice just for the reference.
8. It's an awesome build and I already love how it looks (stitches and all(y) )
Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I am surely going to go back and work out a few flaws. I am very sorry for any issues or aesthetic flaws that you may run into, as it is ultimately a flaw of my design. This is my first public design, so I am always learning. Please continue to update me on your build, and please leave more suggestions!

My end goal with this design is to make it as repeatable and simple as possible. Unfortunately, I sort of dug myself into a hole, so I will probably completely redesign the fuselage at some point. I admit that between almost a year of designing, two weeks of filming and editing, and all of the requests for plans, I rushed to get it out and overlooked a few errors.
I have learned a lot so far and hope to continue. My next release will be much more thought out and I hope to finalize it much better than I did with the Stearman.
Hint: It’s a general aviation twin 😉

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I am surely going to go back and work out a few flaws. I am very sorry for any issues or aesthetic flaws that you may run into, as it is ultimately a flaw of my design. This is my first public design, so I am always learning. Please continue to update me on your build, and please leave more suggestions!

My end goal with this design is to make it as repeatable and simple as possible. Unfortunately, I sort of dug myself into a hole, so I will probably completely redesign the fuselage at some point. I admit that between almost a year of designing, two weeks of filming and editing, and all of the requests for plans, I rushed to get it out and overlooked a few errors.
I have learned a lot so far and hope to continue. My next release will be much more thought out and I hope to finalize it much better than I did with the Stearman.
I definitely don't know what it is 😉😉

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member

This is an awesome design! Don't worry about some small flaws, I'm just thankful you took the time to make free plans!

Your designing another airplane? Let me guess what it is, a Cessna 402.

Tench745

Master member

I think beta-builders who will knock out a couple of them at a time (by the plans, no mods) makes a big difference in catching those errors.

Rhaps

Elite member

It's very obvious you have already poured a lot of sweat, love and foam on the plans and video and they are already excellent as they are. My list was more of a remainder for myself for the next unit altough if you or anyone else get anything from it all the better :)

This is an awesome design! Don't worry about some small flaws, I'm just thankful you took the time to make free plans!
This!

I think beta-builders who will knock out a couple of them at a time (by the plans, no mods) makes a big difference in catching those errors.
And This :)

Jonny Gum

Elite member
It's very obvious you have already poured a lot of sweat, love and foam on the plans and video and they are already excellent as they are. My list was more of a remainder for myself for the next unit altough if you or anyone else get anything from it all the better :)

This!

And This :)
Thanks for understanding. I’d still like to further improve the design at some point. I have a few people who may be interested in beta building, so that should help with the next designs.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Like has been said at least 100 times...
That thing is BEAUTIFUL!! 💯👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
The Stearman is one of my favorite Planes - my favorite Bipe!!

I tried making one from someone else's plans... But my FAT arthritic Fingers failed me only a third of the way through. 😢😭😖
I've even got a 3D Printed Stearman Engine, to fit over the C Pack Motor.

I would love it if I could get someone to cut one for me.
I am getting me needle cutter set up soon. Once I get it up and running, I'll see if I can get a couple of planes cut and shipped to you. Maybe this, A-10, and P-47? And of course a simple stick. :D

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Wetaher pemitting I'll try maiden tomorrow
View attachment 176944

I am somewhat worried about cg.
At th moment with 1300mah 3-cell as far front as i can get it the plane balances ot the top wings TE cutout.
I suspect that might be tail heavy.
Looks great! Reminds me of my grandpa's old stearman. I believe the CG is at the leading edge of the lower wing, but I will check when I have a minute.