Foamboard F-22 EDF

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Sure thing, thanks for the info :) I might go with Grifflyer's L39 / Grunjet as a first EDF if they weigh a bit less / are easy to handle. Not sure if this amazing F22 is the right candidate for first EDF.
The grunjet would be a much better first jet than the L-39. The grunjet handles weight and lower thrust much better than the L-39.

AussieBison

Try grifflyer's grunjet!
Sure, looks of this F22 are so tempting.. almost going to print it last night.. :ROFLMAO:

The grunjet would be a much better first jet than the L-39. The grunjet handles weight and lower thrust much better than the L-39.
Yeah, I will go with the Grunjet.. I won't have to worry too much about scaling the entire plan to fit 64mm EDF so long as thrust tube is scaled up correctly.. right?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Sure, looks of this F22 are so tempting.. almost going to print it last night.. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I will go with the Grunjet.. I won't have to worry too much about scaling the entire plan to fit 64mm EDF so long as thrust tube is scaled up correctly.. right?
Yeah the plane could carry a 64 at it’s stock size. It wouldn’t hurt to scale it up 10% or so just to lighten the wing loading.

chris398mx

Master member
Yeah the plane could carry a 64 at it’s stock size. It wouldn’t hurt to scale it up 10% or so just to lighten the wing loading.
I put a 100 mm BDF on this plane and it flew great. Looked a little funny, that's all.
grunjet 2.jpg
grunjet 1.jpg

AussieBison

Perfect, I will make Grunjet my first edf then :) build isn't too intimidating and the same time looks cool too :D

I put a 100 mm BDF on this plane and it flew great. Looked a little funny, that's all.
View attachment 193470 View attachment 193471

Wow! Looks cool really.. would be awesome if you could disguise the thrust tube as a space shuttle or something.. I understand the opening can't be modified, but maybe adding little Vertical and Horizontal stab kinda things onto the thrust tube might make it look a little more interesting ;)

AussieBison

It means Ben Ducted Fan, basically it’s a mini quad motor spinning a normal prop inside a duct and it’s basically a cheaper version of EDF’s.

cheaper and probably bigger diameter than EDF.. as Ben once mentioned somewhere, it's not an alternative of EDF.. EDFs are more power hungry and produce comparatively more thrust for not so light frames (overall everything is heavier - power consumption / battery / ESCs / airframe / speed too!).. BDFs are not power hungry.. well suited for lighter airframes, and you don't get super fast speed... This is my understanding of BDFs anyway :)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The GrunJet flys great with a 64mm EDF, no need to scale it up. Mine hand launches easily and is still nice and floaty when you want to land it. I can cut the throttle and it still has quite a glide distance.
Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind thank you!