d8veh

Elite member
I think the problem you had with the right hand aileron at the beginning was that it was catching on the rubber band. I share your joy from the successful flying.

The ESC will be no problem with the 2S battery, and will probably be OK with 3S as long as you don't hold full throttle for very long. I cringed a bit when you held full throttle for so long after launching. You should have been able to go to half-throttle as soon as you had control of the plane because that's still 50% more power than you had at half-throttle with 2S.

mayan

Legendary member
I think the problem you had with the right hand aileron at the beginning was that it was catching on the rubber band.

Not very likely because of the way I have the rubber band setup. In the past I had that problem and it was annoying me until I came up with this solution.
A11934C2-272B-4FB4-834D-4E833E9215DF.jpeg

It’s a U shaped 1.5mm wire stuck with hot glue at the back of the wing the rubber bands hold on that and don’t get close to the ailerons. Highly recommend.

mayan

Legendary member
That's a good idea, though it looks very close at 1:18 in the video
I just looked again and you know what? Hell I might be wrong maybe it was touching :). At least I managed to somehow fix it and go flying. :)

PoorManRC

Master member
Hooray for you, my friend!!!

You're a PILOT now! I'm happy for you!
NOW, it's my turn.....

Since I was gifted a Tiny Trainer, that's what I'm starting with as well. I saw the problem you were having with the Ailerons. I just watched the TT Build Video again, and noticed that the inner cuts for the Ailerons are really TOO close to the Fuse! I'm almost surprised that nobody has caught that after all these years!!

Since the Ailerons are just "Drawn on" the Wings, because it's an option.....
I'm thinking (OH NO), WHY not just cut the inner lines about a 1/2"(1cm) away from the Fuse??? :eek: Would it make an enormous difference, shortening the Ailerons by a 1/2" each?
It would certainly give ample clearance for the Rubber Bands. When I'm up for 4 Channel Flying, that's exactly what I'm going to do!

If you can get hold of another sheet of Foam Board, maybe you would want to make a new Wing, with slightly shorter Ailerons? Up to you of course, but it might give you a margin of safety. ;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hooray for you, my friend!!!

NOW, it's my turn.....

Since I was gifted a Tiny Trainer, that's what I'm starting with as well. I saw the problem you were having with the Ailerons. I just watched the TT Build Video again, and noticed that the inner cuts for the Ailerons are really TOO close to the Fuse! I'm almost surprised that nobody has caught that after all these years!!

Since the Ailerons are just "Drawn on" the Wings, because it's an option.....
I'm thinking (OH NO), WHY not just cut the inner lines about a 1/2"(1cm) away from the Fuse??? :eek: Would it make an enormous difference, shortening the Ailerons by a 1/2" each?
It would certainly give ample clearance for the Rubber Bands. When I'm up for 4 Channel Flying, that's exactly what I'm going to do!

If you can get hold of another sheet of Foam Board, maybe you would want to make a new Wing, with slightly shorter Ailerons? Up to you of course, but it might give you a margin of safety. ;)
The effect of the aileron deflection is greater the further from the centre of mass you get. Torque being related to the applied force and the distance at which it is applied. As you are talking about a dimension reduction so very close to the centre of mass the effect would be so little that for all intents and purposes it would be zero.

besides a little extra deflection could make up for any loss, (USE WITH CAUTION!).

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
The effect of the aileron deflection is greater the further from the centre of mass you get. Torque being related to the applied force and the distance at which it is applied. As you are talking about a dimension reduction so very close to the centre of mass the effect would be so little that for all intents and purposes it would be zero.

besides a little extra deflection could make up for any loss, (USE WITH CAUTION!).

Have fun!

I had the exact same feeling.... I've done experimenting with Aerodynamics in the past. Mostly stemming from conversations with my Dad.
I AM cognizant of the fact that HE was an Aeronautical Engineer - I .......... was not. However I am a great listener, and absorb knowledge quickly.

That might explain why I over think EVERYTHING!! :eek::p
I can't help people enough to be a Mentor....yet. But I did see what I thought was an obvious flaw, in a very common design. My friend here is just getting the hang of Flying with success.

I'm hoping to remove a potential problem, that can possibly hold any of us back.
Thank you Bob! I'm glad you were able to vindicate my theory!!

mayan

Legendary member
RC Pilot... :) And sure I still have a lot that I can learn. Like I just did now about the shortening the Ailerons. I still highly recommend the solution I was using cause it's simple and does the job great. :)

I do have a question you @Hai-Lee, I saw that in some models the ailerons are very short and are basicly only closer to the wing tips, what effect does that have on the flying chracteristics of the plane?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
RC Pilot... :) And sure I still have a lot that I can learn. Like I just did now about the shortening the Ailerons. I still highly recommend the solution I was using cause it's simple and does the job great. :)

I do have a question you @Hai-Lee, I saw that in some models the ailerons are very short and are basicly only closer to the wing tips, what effect does that have on the flying chracteristics of the plane?
There are a few differences in handling especially on a model but only one is considered as being very significant. The most significant is that the ailerons at the wing tips are normally NOT in the airflow caused by the propeller thrust and therefore the roll control attributable to the operation of the ailerons can be almost zero at take off and landing. This effect is exacerbated by ground effect but that is another story in itself. As a note the lack of effective roll control is greatest in planes where the tip cord is significantly less than the root cord of the wing. This is often a bit of a trap for newbies, (flying their first warbird or similar performance model), and the forum is littered with complaints of planes that turn sharply, roll and crash on take off.

Next most significant effect is that due to the increased deflection required for the same roll control force compared to full span ailerons, The roll control surface induced drag differential from the greater deflection of each of the ailerons can cause a much larger yaw component when a roll or bank is initiated. This is often noted where an aircraft actually barrel rolls rather than rolling axially. This is often compensated for by the use of differential on the ailerons to balance the yaw component due to the aileron induced drag.

Advantages are more scale like appearance, more rigid control surface, ability to have extremely fine control responses at high speed and simpler implementation of flaps.

Actually the operation of control surfaces require almost a complete encyclopedia volume to describe fully but I am sure from the above you can get the gist of it!

Hope that helps with the basic attributes. if more explanation is required about the topic or anything else I mentioned just let me know but I will not be giving advanced classes in aerodynamics or the mathematics involved, (I leave that for others:whistle:).

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yes I have and still the same thing happens.
I would check the motor to ESC wiring, the motor windings for breakages where the coils join together to make a motor lead and finally I would play with the timing. Sometimes the Auto timing can have issues when the motor/esc get older or impact effected!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@Hai-Lee I took your advice from last time and just didn’t bother fixing the faulty ESC. I have a spare one so I am using that for now. Up untill last night we had rain so I couldn’t go flying. The next few days should be sunny so in 2-3 days I’ll try to go out to the field once it had some time to dry up. Might try to fix the faulty ESC when there will be no sign of sunny days in distance.

mayan

Legendary member
Plan for tonight’s shift (if people don’t call in to complain about anything).

1) Start the building process for a new TT with a special modification added to it. Stay tuned for this.
2) Document the build process of the modified TT for an article I hope to post once I finish the build and take it out for a first maiden.
3) Finish creating the reusable plans of the FT Stem Alpha, Barvo, Charlie.
4) Create reusable plans for a 50% scale of the original FT TT, that’s only if I have enough time.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Plan for tonight’s shift (if people don’t call in to complain about anything).

1) Start the building process for a new TT with a special modification added to it. Stay tuned for this.
2) Document the build process of the modified TT for an article I hope to post once I finish the build and take it out for a first maiden.
4) Create reusable plans for a 50% scale of the original FT TT, that’s only if I have enough time.

With a 50% TT you will need to reject the original wing construction method and the wing plane and redo the wing in the same technique as os used in the Mini Scout.

As you scale it down the material thickness becomes an issue as does its relatively high weight.

I often scale FT designs to 60% and use 3mm FB with the paper removed on one side. It seems to work ok though in all honestly still a little heavy.

Just a thought or 2!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member

1) DONE.
2) IN THE WORKS.
3) NOT HAPPENING TONIGHT.
4) NOT HAPPENING TONIGHT.