Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am really debating about the Tx. @Arcfyre recommended the Jumper T12, @kilroy07 FkySky i6x and @Hai-Lee the FlySky iA6 A2 and I myself originally thought of the RadioLink AT9S. I am really lost here...

On one note I’d rather buy something that wouldn’t make me want to change a Tx later on the other the price range compared to the FlySky radios are expensive.

Like I said I am lost...
Now you understand the real problem with Radio selection! Each couple of months someone comes out with a new radio which is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and each person who buys a radio will swear that it is the best even though they have never used any of the others! (Unless of course they got a radio that had serious issues).

You need to make a value judgement based upon your current needs AND have a guess what your future needs will be! Also you will need to accept any limitations in your choice or any functions, (for which you may have paid extra), that you will never use! A bit like trying to by a new car without a test drive, (you can only guess about performance and its long term suitability to fulfill your current and future needs.

With the FlySky I purchased I initially purchased it knowing that I may need to contemplate a replacement in the near future so I took the functionality and the price as BIG determinants in the selection. I had expected to need a replacement within 12 months. I was wrong! Now I have 2 and over 20 Receivers which should keep me happy and flying for a long time yet! As I build and fly mostly in FB nowadays the thought of a bird that needs 10 channels and 4 or more mixes is somewhat unrealistic! Besides my radio has already well and truly exceeded my life estimate and so each day is a real bonus!

You need to make your selection based upon your own estimate of your needs and the life expectancy you require. That way if you get it wrong there is only one person to blame! You should look at the various features and mark them as either required, nice to have, or will never use it! Discount the never use it, and see which radio system does the other 2 Vs the asking price and then if repairs are available locally or what warranty you will get!

Good luck with your choice, (I have it with mine).

Have fun!

Tonero311

Took me a long time to read this entire thread, but definitely worth it. Really inspiring seeing how you have progressed and gives me an insight of what to expect as I go through the hobby too(hopefully progress as well as you @mayan).
So far I have built one plane, a pietenpol from speed build kit. Made many mistakes mainly with the power setup and Tx setup. Too big a motor and battery, didn't have a clue about run a rates, expos and setting end points. Getting everything together to scratch build 2 more properly with recommended set ups.
I can give a thumbs up on the i6x and ia6b. For a first Tx it's been really good so far. Only gripes I would have is it's a bit cheap and plasticy feeling(for £40 with Rx I can live with that and give to my son when I step up to a better one). It doesn't have battery telemetry as standard, but seen ways to modify it to do it but it's not ideal. iirc it'll only read up to 10v with the mod.

daxian

Elite member
flysky ia6 is perfect, used mine for over 2 years, never any problem ...only reason i moved to qx7 frsky ?
only 20 models in the memory space (i have over 40 models now )of the i6 ..now with the qx7 i have room for 60 models lol...plus with a 4 in 1 module i can use all the receivers from the ia6 ....bonus !!

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks everyone I am starting to get a better idea of how to choose my next Tx hope to make good decision during my afternoon shift. Any how keep the tips coming :).

@Tonero311 if I helped you in any way, I did my job. The goal of the thread was/is to show the first year of my experience. Lately I was actually thinking to ending it, but every now and then someone new comes in and reads the whole 43 pages and growing of the thread; and that makes me rethink the stopping of the thread before I reach one year. So thank you for supporting the continuation of the thread.

I went to the field today and had a blast. I felt so in control of the planes I was flying even without deflection rates and expos, and that was an amazing feeling.

I felt like I could fly the TT inverted all day long, and got a rush each time I pulled it up a second before hitting the ground. I don’t know if my flying will impress the judge on the fly inverted challenge but I don’t care :). I was happy with the ability I have shown myself and that’s what counts. No offense @Hai-Lee I love you man.

The SpiTTT didn’t fly to well I need to check the motor on it. Or maybe it’s just that a 920kV motor is such a slow flyer that I am not used to it. Tried inverted on it but think I have an issue with the elevator, not having enough authority.

Flying the Edge today was heaven even though I crashed it quite a lot I was able to climb vertically, fly knife edge, fly inverted and roll so fast that it looked like I was drilling through the sky. I tried a few touch and gos but with no real success as the grain field got me every time. I am so happy with my growing ability to fly this model as hardcore as possible that am excited like a child that just got a new toy :).

I had some videos taken but not sure of their quality though, because the person who filmed them had never filmed a flying plane before.

Hope they are good, more to come later...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Like I said I am lost...
I’ve found (as you have) ask three RC pilots which radio to get and you’ll get 4 different answers.

Some are raving fanboys, others take it personally, some think it’s a status symbol.
But, I don’t think you’re going to hurt anyone’s feelings here if you choose something different.

Just pick the one that fits you best and learn it.
As you said, you can always pass it along for the kids later if you upgrade.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I can give a thumbs up on the i6x and ia6b. For a first Tx it's been really good so far. Only gripes I would have is it's a bit cheap and plasticy feeling(for £40 with Rx I can live with that and give to my son when I step up to a better one). It doesn't have battery telemetry as standard, but seen ways to modify it to do it but it's not ideal. iirc it'll only read up to 10v with the mod.
No mod is needed for the i6x!
You just need a telemetry module.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...18-4995-aeac-3a4abd1eed03&transAbTest=ae803_5

Just an example,shop around.
On the ia6b there’s a plug in just above the servo pins to plug sensors in (you can daisy chain them)
Been using them for awhile now and they work great!
If you need help setting that up just ask!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks everyone I am starting to get a better idea of how to choose my next Tx hope to make good decision during my afternoon shift. Any how keep the tips coming :).

@Tonero311 if I helped you in any way, I did my job. The goal of the thread was/is to show the first year of my experience. Lately I was actually thinking to ending it, but every now and then someone new comes in and reads the whole 43 pages and growing of the thread; and that makes me rethink the stopping of the thread before I reach one year. So thank you for supporting the continuation of the thread.

I went to the field today and had a blast. I felt so in control of the planes I was flying even without deflection rates and expos, and that was an amazing feeling.

I felt like I could fly the TT inverted all day long, and got a rush each time I pulled it up a second before hitting the ground. I don’t know if my flying will impress the judge on the fly inverted challenge but I don’t care :). I was happy with the ability I have shown myself and that’s what counts. No offense @Hai-Lee I love you man.

The SpiTTT didn’t fly to well I need to check the motor on it. Or maybe it’s just that a 920kV motor is such a slow flyer that I am not used to it. Tried inverted on it but think I have an issue with the elevator, not having enough authority.

Flying the Edge today was heaven even though I crashed it quite a lot I was able to climb vertically, fly knife edge, fly inverted and roll so fast that it looked like I was drilling through the sky. I tried a few touch and gos but with no real success as the grain field got me every time. I am so happy with my growing ability to fly this model as hardcore as possible that am excited like a child that just got a new toy :).

I had some videos taken but not sure of their quality though, because the person who filmed them had never filmed a flying plane before.

Hope they are good, more to come later...
Well the Spittt had the recommended deflections calmed right down because it was/is light weight and your flying was a little like riding the Roller-coaster at the time. When you get a radio with expo double the deflections and you will see what it can really do, Inverted or no!

As for your time on the Edge wait until you get the Expo it will transform it into a totally and far easier to control sport/3D bird with same amazing capabilities. (You will find out:p).

Just remember that until I got my current radio I was having a crash every flying day and now I teach and crashing that is very rare indeed!

The change to dual antenna system will remove the suspected LOS problem and thereby remove another possible cause of crashes!

It will all soon become so very clear to you, (in hindsight)!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I like my solution (Jumper T8SG V2) multi protocol, small, quality gimbals, not expensive, built well. Many would not like it as it runs Deviation software. Sadly it's now discontinued.
My choice now would be the Jumper T16 - OpenTX (called JumperTX), terrific colour screen, still multi protocol and fully supports the JR type addon for Crossfire modules.

Tonero311

No mod is needed for the i6x!
You just need a telemetry module.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...18-4995-aeac-3a4abd1eed03&transAbTest=ae803_5

Just an example,shop around.
On the ia6b there’s a plug in just above the servo pins to plug sensors in (you can daisy chain them)
Been using them for awhile now and they work great!
If you need help setting that up just ask!
Thank you. You have just sorted my biggest gripe with i6x. Would like to be able to read an accurate measurement straight from Tx instead of relying on a voltage alarm attached to the battery. Need to do a bit more research into this when I finish work. Nice and cheap by the looks of it too.

Kendalf

My choice now would be the Jumper T16 - OpenTX (called JumperTX), terrific colour screen, still multi protocol and fully supports the JR type addon for Crossfire modules.
I considered the Jumper T12 before I got the Taranis QX7. The T16 looks like a great new radio; I like the smooth clean look. My main concern with the Jumper T12 was that OpenTX Companion didn't support it. I like being able to configure settings and such on a PC via OpenTX Companion. I've not found anyone confirming that Companion will fully support the T16, though Oscar Liang's review of the T16 indicates that firmware updates can be done via Companion.

Though with the nice color screen on the T16 (supposedly the same as the FrSky Horus X10S) it may be easier to do programming on the radio itself without needing Companion.

mayan

Legendary member
I considered the Jumper T12 before I got the Taranis QX7. The T16 looks like a great new radio; I like the smooth clean look. My main concern with the Jumper T12 was that OpenTX Companion didn't support it. I like being able to configure settings and such on a PC via OpenTX Companion. I've not found anyone confirming that Companion will fully support the T16, though Oscar Liang's review of the T16 indicates that firmware updates can be done via Companion.

Though with the nice color screen on the T16 (supposedly the same as the FrSky Horus X10S) it may be easier to do programming on the radio itself without needing Companion.
Thanks for bringing up the PC thing on the Jumper T12, that's actually what is giving me hell with the RadioLink TB9S Tx that I have now.

mayan

Legendary member
Ok so I owe you all the details on the Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer build and some more videos of my first try on it. Excuse me in advance for the crap footage :(.

Motor: MT1806 2280kV
Prop: 6x4.5
ESC: 12A
Battery: 2S 1000mah (56g/1.9oz)

Wingspan: 72cm/28.3in
Wing core: 10.5cm/4.1in
Fuselage length: 48.5cm/19in
Fuselage width: 4cm/1.5in
Weight excluding battery: 178g/6.2oz
AUW: 234g/8.2oz

mayan

Legendary member
Ok so I owe you all the details on the Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer build and some more videos of my first try on it. Excuse me in advance for the crap footage :(.

Motor: MT1806 2280kV
Prop: 6x4.5
ESC: 12A
Battery: 2S 1000mah (56g/1.9oz)

Wingspan: 72cm/28.3in
Wing core: 10.5cm/4.1in
Fuselage length: 48.5cm/19in
Fuselage width: 4cm/1.5in
Weight excluding battery: 178g/6.2oz
AUW: 234g/8.2oz

Must ask how do you control a plane in small flying areas? Is there a trick? I am pretty sure that if I had more area fly in I do amazing things with this little plane.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Must ask how do you control a plane in small flying areas? Is there a trick? I am pretty sure that if I had more area fly in I do amazing things with this little plane.
The real trick is to consider your flying field as if it was an aircraft carrier. Small take off and landing area with a limitless sky above it!

Take off, climb high, do what flying you want, and land back in the small area. Just make sure you are high enough so that local obstructions do not obscure your line of sight to the plane and it all should be fine!

Have fun!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
If you can't fly your plane in high alpha the only thing you can really do is keep turning.

Maybe someone else will chime in but there's nothing else I can think of if you want to stay in relatively neutral angles of attack.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The real trick is to consider your flying field as if it was an aircraft carrier. Small take off and landing area with a limitless sky above it!

Take off, climb high, do what flying you want, and land back in the small area. Just make sure you are high enough so that local obstructions do not obscure your line of sight to the plane and it all should be fine!

Have fun!
I've tried this before and after I got a little to far away the tree line blocked my visuals and my plane went down, so I tend to steer clear of that method.

Maybe I just got unlucky... but I also feel it's risky if a gust of wind ever comes because if you're flying in an area surrounded by trees or buildings you might not be able to analyse wind strength as accurately. Am I right in my thinking?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I've tried this before and after I got a little to far away the tree line blocked my visuals and my plane went down, so I tend to steer clear of that method.

Maybe I just got unlucky... but I also feel it's risky if a gust of wind ever comes because if you're flying in an area surrounded by trees or buildings you might not be able to analyse wind strength as accurately. Am I right in my thinking?
As with all things it is up to each person to make their own decisions.

I use the tree line to gauge the wind strength and direction. Close to the ground the air can be extremely turbulent when the wind is blowing but at height the wind is generally more constant though a little stronger.

In my case where the field is tiny I position myself roughly in the centre of the field so i get a far better all around view and will turn in any direction I require to keep sight of the model. When you fly from the edge of a field you have already eliminated half of the sky from your flying area.

If possible I do tend to fly mostly in the area of the sky upwind of my location especially as the time starts to run down so if I have a battery go flat or the like I can drift back to the field for a landing, (diving on high wind days can be required).

As stated you need to make your own judgments based upon your capabilities and on the capabilities of the plane to be flown. I try to NEVER allow a plane to fly out of sight even momentarily as to do so is to invite disaster!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
What do you do if you have buildings around you? On my very first maiden I went high but the wind was stronger there and drove me towards the houses, that’s when I started worrying and freaked out leading me to crash into a tree. Of course it’s better than crashing into someone’s house but I’d rather avoid both cases :).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
What do you do if you have buildings around you? On my very first maiden I went high but the wind was stronger there and drove me towards the houses, that’s when I started worrying and freaked out leading me to crash into a tree. Of course it’s better than crashing into someone’s house but I’d rather avoid both cases :).

If you can get on the top of one of the buildings and launch from there and possible try to land in the small area below when your flight is finished.

A bit like what the slope soaring boys do!

have fun!