mayan

Legendary member
Night shift at work and I am working on making long term plans for the Mini Edge and cutting out pieces to a puzzle that @Hai-Lee recommend I build. How cool is that?

Taking a break so thought I’d update you all.

mayan

Legendary member
Pieces of the puzzle are cut out.
img_0681.jpg

The Mini Edge plans have been glued to poster paper that is now going to be cut out into pieces. Then if I still have time I'll score them, and cut out all the internal pieces.
img_0682.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
The Mini Edge plans have been glued to poster paper that is now going to be cut out into pieces. Then if I still have time I'll score them, and cut out all the internal pieces.
The pieces have been cut out, but I didn’t have time to score them so that will wait for a different day or different night shift.

mayan

Legendary member
Does anyone know if the Jumper T12 or Jumper T12 Plus can work with a RadioLink R8EF reciever it works on PPM and SBus signals? Also could it work with the FlySky iA6 and iA6B recievers? How about buddy boxing, can it buddy box with the RadioLink T8BS or Specktrum DX4e transmitters?

And last question can the DX4e transmitter work with the FlySky iA6 and iA6b recievers?

mayan

Legendary member
Does anyone know if the Jumper T12 or Jumper T12 Plus can work with a RadioLink R8EF reciever it works on PPM and SBus signals? Also could it work with the FlySky iA6 and iA6B recievers? How about buddy boxing, can it buddy box with the RadioLink T8BS or Specktrum DX4e transmitters?

And last question can the DX4e transmitter work with the FlySky iA6 and iA6b recievers?
@Arcfyre, @Hai-Lee, @kilroy07, @CarolineTyler any knowledge about these questions?

Arcfyre

Elite member
I think @CarolineTyler covered it as far as radio compatibility goes.

As for buddy boxing I think the DX4e predates the wireless buddy box protocol, so you would need the proper buddy boxing cable. The chances of that cable working with a non-Spektrum radio would be pretty slim.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I had all FlySky equipment until I got my Spektrum DX8 for the two RTFs I have.

So, I can tell you all about FlySky, but not how it can work with other equipment... (if at all)

mayan

Legendary member
I had all FlySky equipment until I got my Spektrum DX8 for the two RTFs I have.

So, I can tell you all about FlySky, but not how it can work with other equipment... (if at all)
Why did you make the change? Is it only because of the models it would store?

kilroy07

Legendary member
I didn't make the change. I still fly my builds with the Flysky...
I had two planes gifted to me, the wildcat for my Birthday and the Night Radian for helping out at Flite Fest.... I had the wildcat for almost a year before I flew it (in fact my friend was giving me grief about "aren't you ever going to fly that thing?!!") so I finally broke down and bought one (if you've watched my Maiden video for the Radian you might know why I'm not sold on spektrum...)

I have a Butt-load of the flysky receivers and plan on continuing to use them as currently I only have a single spare Spektrum which will probably go into my "high class" FT Edge build (I bought expensive digital servos and everything!) :LOL:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Why use the Spektrum Tx if you don't fancy them all that much?
:LOL: I don't!
I only have used the Spektrum radio when I've flown the Horizon Wildcat or the Night radian (well, and I use it on the flight sim).
They both came with the receivers built in (as3x and all) so I picked up the radio to go with the planes...

Now that they have come out with those Sport receivers, I might give one of those a try...

But I still believe it was a Loss of Signal that killed my Night Radian, so I'm still a bit salty about that.
(I have the replacement fuselage, and I'm home this week... maybe I should get her back in the air!) :unsure:

mayan

Legendary member
Please excuse me in advance that this post is long. Over the last week or so I have been debating with myself if to continue posting things on this thread. Why? I’ll be honest and say, I don’t think the title fits the description anymore and so today I have finally decided that this will be my last post on this thread.

This thread has been a journey, my journey into this amazing hobby. One in which I went from knowing nothing about RC planes into actually being able to build, modify, create and fly them. I owe my success in the journey to many people out there. First to the FT team for the wonderful thing they have going; with free plans, excellent build videos and other inspiring content. To the forum and the many wonderful people that share their knowledge and support on it. To my wife for sticking up with my madness and children with whom out I wouldn’t have stumbled upon this hobby while looking for something that I can bond with them on.

During this journey I have learned a lot, and a lot of the information that I have learned from is actually in this thread. I’ve learned to fly different models starting with the best trainer out there the FT Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer all the way up to an FT Edge 540. I learned to experiment; resizing models that I have flown before to make things like the Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer and the Mini Edge 540. I have learned to create; modifying models to give them different flying characteristics like the SpiTTT. So if you are completely new to the hobby, I recommend you read the entire thread; I know it’s long but it might help you with your learning curve and if it does, please just post about it I’d be very happy to know.

To conclude this post I’d like to share with you a few things that I have learned during this journey.

# When building any model there are many ways to transfer the plans to the foam board. I have two different methods that I use and pick which one to use depending on the model and on what stage it is, let me try to explain. When I have a model that has been flown before with a certain power system by me or someone else knowing it will fly well and I know that I want to have this model laying around the I’ll create long term plans for it. When creating long term plans I’ll print out the plans, connect the titled pages, then glue the full plans to poster paper (240g) using 3M Super 77, I will then cut out the plane parts, and score cut and mark the parts based on the plans. When I want to use the plans I place the parts on the foam board trace score and mark (a little difficult because sometimes the parts move), then cut out the foam board as you normally do to get all your puzzle pieces. Sometimes I’ll add another step into the making of the plans to stop them from moving when placed on the foam board to trace, score and mark. What I’ll do is using 3M Super 77 I’ll glue a plastic book wrapping on the back of the plane parts. When it’s dry I’ll cut off all the extra plastic book wrapping, now I’ll use 3M Super 77 just once more spraying the plastic booking wrapping on the back of the part and will let it dry for a good 30 mins. When 30 mins are over you will have a sticky layer that will stick well to the foam board and avoid the plan part from moving but won’t make a strong enough bond to stay glued and thus it can be removed after you’ve traced, scored and marked the parts. Then cut as you would normally do. When building a test model or one that I am not sure if I’d like to have laying around I use a fast build technique and stick the plans directly to the foam board using either thin masking tape if I don’t want the plans to remain stuck to the foam board or 3M Super 77 if I don’t care for the extra weight and then I’ll usually leave the plans attached to the foam board.

# On any build you do I recommend that you reinforce the holes where the BBQ skewers go through using an old credit card, gift cards, plywood, or poster board; reinforcing these holes will make things last longer. I personally use post board as it’s cheap and easy to find.

# Have spares! Spare power pods with firewalls and with or without a motor and ESC connected to them, servo arms, wing sets, basically anything that you can break and can easily be replaced at the field. Ain’t nothing more annoying than having charged batteries and nothing to fly while at the field.

# CRAP check before every single flight and after every single crash. If you don’t there will be consequences, you have been warned.

# Embrace your crashes. Understand that a crash is not a failure but a lesson to be learned and a way to improve and get better.

# Build, Fly, Crash, (Repair), Repeat! The more you do this the better you will get at everything; building, flying and not crashing :).

# ASK! Use the forum to ask questions, if something doesn’t work or you need advice post it on the forum. Everyone here will be happy to help with knowledge or even just motivation.

# A plane doesn’t have to look good to fly good, it hurts less when an ugly looking plane crashes.

# Share! We all love to see what you are up too and love giving a good word and advice too, so don’t be shy :)! Plus it helps with one’s moral.

# Read the forum, you’ll always find something interesting to read and something new that you can learn.

# Experiment! Try things on your own the more you try the more you’ll learn, lessons learned alone are lessons learned for life.

# Have fun! After all that’s what it’s all about! If you are not having fun anymore something is wrong; stop think and rethink how to bring back the fun, come back when you’ve found it.

# Explore! Understand that every model you’ll fly will have a different flying experience, will handle different, and react different. After all the more models that you’ll fly the more experience you will get and understand what models you like more and which less.

# Learn to fly straight while staying leveled making shallow left and right turns , it seems easy but it’s not! Try it and you’ll find out.

# Learn to fly inverted if you’ve mastered this with a model you are in control of the model feel free to move on.

# When crashing take notice of a couple of fixed scenery in the field it will help you find your plane and / or use a lost plane buzzer.

# Don’t drain your battery voltage too low so you won’t ruin them. Draining a battery to low will make it not charge any more.

# Learn to fly in wind, you can’t keep waiting for the perfect sunny windless day, you might be waiting forever :).

I just reread the 45 pages of my journey and think that’s all tips I can think of. Any how this will be my last post on this thread. If you’ve liked my content so far and want to be part of the second part of my journey I invite you to check out this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey.58013/. A thread that will be dedicated to the second part of my journey, which will be just as exciting as this one probably even more.

P.S. - Thank you all for your advice about choosing my next Tx, please don’t get insulted if I didn’t choose the one you recommended but after many checks that I have done I decided the the best one for me at the moment will be the FlySky i6x Tx with both iA6 and iA6b Rx.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Please excuse me in advance that this post is long. Over the last week or so I have been debating with myself if to continue posting things on this thread. Why? I’ll be honest and say, I don’t think the title fits the description anymore and so today I have finally decided that this will be my last post on this thread.

This thread has been a journey, my journey into this amazing hobby. One in which I went from knowing nothing about RC planes into actually being able to build, modify, create and fly them. I owe my success in the journey to many people out there. First to the FT team for the wonderful thing they have going; with free plans, excellent build videos and other inspiring content. To the forum and the many wonderful people that share their knowledge and support on it. To my wife for sticking up with my madness and children with whom out I wouldn’t have stumbled upon this hobby while looking for something that I can bond with them on.

During this journey I have learned a lot, and a lot of the information that I have learned from is actually in this thread. I’ve learned to fly different models starting with the best trainer out there the FT Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer all the way up to an FT Edge 540. I learned to experiment; resizing models that I have flown before to make things like the Mini Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer and the Mini Edge 540. I have learned to create; modifying models to give them different flying characteristics like the SpiTTT. So if you are completely new to the hobby, I recommend you read the entire thread; I know it’s long but it might help you with your learning curve and if it does, please just post about it I’d be very happy to know.

To conclude this post I’d like to share with you a few things that I have learned during this journey.

# When building any model there are many ways to transfer the plans to the foam board. I have two different methods that I use and pick which one to use depending on the model and on what stage it is, let me try to explain. When I have a model that has been flown before with a certain power system by me or someone else knowing it will fly well and I know that I want to have this model laying around the I’ll create long term plans for it. When creating long term plans I’ll print out the plans, connect the titled pages, then glue the full plans to poster paper (240g) using 3M Super 77, I will then cut out the plane parts, and score cut and mark the parts based on the plans. When I want to use the plans I place the parts on the foam board trace score and mark (a little difficult because sometimes the parts move), then cut out the foam board as you normally do to get all your puzzle pieces. Sometimes I’ll add another step into the making of the plans to stop them from moving when placed on the foam board to trace, score and mark. What I’ll do is using 3M Super 77 I’ll glue a plastic book wrapping on the back of the plane parts. When it’s dry I’ll cut off all the extra plastic book wrapping, now I’ll use 3M Super 77 just once more spraying the plastic booking wrapping on the back of the part and will let it dry for a good 30 mins. When 30 mins are over you will have a sticky layer that will stick well to the foam board and avoid the plan part from moving but won’t make a strong enough bond to stay glued and thus it can be removed after you’ve traced, scored and marked the parts. Then cut as you would normally do. When building a test model or one that I am not sure if I’d like to have laying around I use a fast build technique and stick the plans directly to the foam board using either thin masking tape if I don’t want the plans to remain stuck to the foam board or 3M Super 77 if I don’t care for the extra weight and then I’ll usually leave the plans attached to the foam board.

# On any build you do I recommend that you reinforce the holes where the BBQ skewers go through using an old credit card, gift cards, plywood, or poster board; reinforcing these holes will make things last longer. I personally use post board as it’s cheap and easy to find.

# Have spares! Spare power pods with firewalls and with or without a motor and ESC connected to them, servo arms, wing sets, basically anything that you can break and can easily be replaced at the field. Ain’t nothing more annoying than having charged batteries and nothing to fly while at the field.

# CRAP check before every single flight and after every single crash. If you don’t there will be consequences, you have been warned.

# Embrace your crashes. Understand that a crash is not a failure but a lesson to be learned and a way to improve and get better.

# Build, Fly, Crash, (Repair), Repeat! The more you do this the better you will get at everything; building, flying and not crashing :).

# ASK! Use the forum to ask questions, if something doesn’t work or you need advice post it on the forum. Everyone here will be happy to help with knowledge or even just motivation.

# A plane doesn’t have to look good to fly good, it hurts less when an ugly looking plane crashes.

# Share! We all love to see what you are up too and love giving a good word and advice too, so don’t be shy :)! Plus it helps with one’s moral.

# Read the forum, you’ll always find something interesting to read and something new that you can learn.

# Experiment! Try things on your own the more you try the more you’ll learn, lessons learned alone are lessons learned for life.

# Have fun! After all that’s what it’s all about! If you are not having fun anymore something is wrong; stop think and rethink how to bring back the fun, come back when you’ve found it.

# Explore! Understand that every model you’ll fly will have a different flying experience, will handle different, and react different. After all the more models that you’ll fly the more experience you will get and understand what models you like more and which less.

# Learn to fly straight while staying leveled making shallow left and right turns , it seems easy but it’s not! Try it and you’ll find out.

# Learn to fly inverted if you’ve mastered this with a model you are in control of the model feel free to move on.

# When crashing take notice of a couple of fixed scenery in the field it will help you find your plane and / or use a lost plane buzzer.

# Don’t drain your battery voltage too low so you won’t ruin them. Draining a battery to low will make it not charge any more.

# Learn to fly in wind, you can’t keep waiting for the perfect sunny windless day, you might be waiting forever :).

I just reread the 45 pages of my journey and think that’s all tips I can think of. Any how this will be my last post on this thread. If you’ve liked my content so far and want to be part of the second part of my journey I invite you to check out this thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/the-second-part-of-my-journey.58013/. A thread that will be dedicated to the second part of my journey, which will be just as exciting as this one probably even more.

P.S. - Thank you all for your advice about choosing my next Tx, please don’t get insulted if I didn’t choose the one you recommended but after many checks that I have done I decided the the best one for me at the moment will be the FlySky i6x Tx with both iA6 and iA6b Rx.
I might just suggest a couple of additions to your list!

# If possible Video your efforts at flying because you can then examine the flight to see what the plane was doing and how it was responding OR NOT as the case may be.

# Use the forum mentors as a sounding board to assist you in analyzing flight problems and possibly even setup or piloting errors. Trying to fault find on your own with limited knowledge can result in much frustration AND WRONG diagnoses.

# If you do not understand the advice given ask for an explanation. Often the original advice given was correct but ignored because it was not fully understood until much later when the learning caught up with the explanation!

# Use a good and modern radio system. A good radio can make a poor pilot look good and a bad radio system can make an expert look like a very poor pilot! There are plenty of good radios available and some are quite inexpensive! Also learn how to setup your radio properly.

# Follow recommended settings for the FT planes you build. More control deflection does not improve performance!

# Be patient and if possible start at the beginning! Trying to learn on a warbird or similar performance model can add time to your learning to fly and lots of frustrating repairs and rebuilds.

# There is NO post of SHAME on the forum! We have all crashed models and most if not all of us still do, even the so called experts! Remember the forum is here to help you get in the air and stay there hopefully at the lowest possible cost!

@mayan Perhaps you could tabulate the list and post it separately as a bit of a guide for the newbies!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I might just suggest a couple of additions to your list!

# If possible Video your efforts at flying because you can then examine the flight to see what the plane was doing and how it was responding OR NOT as the case may be.

# Use the forum mentors as a sounding board to assist you in analyzing flight problems and possibly even setup or piloting errors. Trying to fault find on your own with limited knowledge can result in much frustration AND WRONG diagnoses.

# If you do not understand the advice given ask for an explanation. Often the original advice given was correct but ignored because it was not fully understood until much later when the learning caught up with the explanation!

# Use a good and modern radio system. A good radio can make a poor pilot look good and a bad radio system can make an expert look like a very poor pilot! There are plenty of good radios available and some are quite inexpensive! Also learn how to setup your radio properly.

# Follow recommended settings for the FT planes you build. More control deflection does not improve performance!

# Be patient and if possible start at the beginning! Trying to learn on a warbird or similar performance model can add time to your learning to fly and lots of frustrating repairs and rebuilds.

# There is NO post of SHAME on the forum! We have all crashed models and most if not all of us still do, even the so called experts! Remember the forum is here to help you get in the air and stay there hopefully at the lowest possible cost!

@mayan Perhaps you could tabulate the list and post it separately as a bit of a guide for the newbies!

Have fun!
Can you clarify your last sentence? Anything that I can do to help newbies like you all help me is something that I want to do.