Pun Jet build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi everyone. I usually hang out in the multirotor area, but lately I've been kicking around the idea of trying a fixed wing aircraft. When FT released the Pun Jet, I picked one up. I realize that it probably isn't the best for someone new to fixed wing flying, but I'm going to give it a shot. I'll keep track of my progress here.

Specs:

MK 11: Pun Jet

motor: Dragonfly 1806 2300KV
ESC: Emax Simon Series 12A
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
telemetry: FrSky SP-FLVS
servos: Hextronik HXT500
prop: HQ 5x4
battery: Tipple 2S 800 mAh 20C

wingspan: 360 mm
all up weight: 161 g

Last edited:

russj48

russj48
IMAG1404.jpg
This is my kit, cut from plans and ready for assembly.

IMAG1406.jpg
Almost ready to go.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
the fact im on a budget im going to get a 250 sized race quad with fpv and thats $345 or so and im getting a trex 150 for practicethats just 100(just). if i build the pun jet its going to be with electronics and that's 75 bucks

If you have the radio and battery gear already (gear you can use on all of them) . . .

Motor ~ $10
ESC ~ $10
2x servos ~ $6 ($9 for folding wing)
battery ~ $5/ea
Props ~ $4/pack

you're looking at $35-45 for electronics, with about $10 for a pair of right-sized batteries.

Now if it's not a priority, that's another issue, but if you run numbers and learn the skills to size parts and put it together yourself, even that 250 racer is overpriced at $375. I've built nice punchy RX-ready 250 quads for less than half that . . .

. . . and if you're on a budget, a Heli for training is not the way to go ;)

airhawk

Crashing Ace
If you have the radio and battery gear already (gear you can use on all of them) . . .

Motor ~ $10
ESC ~ $10
2x servos ~ $6 ($9 for folding wing)
battery ~ $5/ea
Props ~ $4/pack

you're looking at $35-45 for electronics, with about $10 for a pair of right-sized batteries.

Now if it's not a priority, that's another issue, but if you run numbers and learn the skills to size parts and put it together yourself, even that 250 racer is overpriced at $375. I've built nice punchy RX-ready 250 quads for less than half that . . .

. . . and if you're on a budget, a Heli for training is not the way to go ;)
its 375 because of the fpv gear including gogles and camera i basically have nothing for fpv so thats why but if its just 45 bucks for the pun jet i might go for it . im geting the 150 cause my freind is offering me 100 instead of 250

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm using a Dragonfly 1806 2300 KV motor with an HQ 5x4 prop, an Emax 12A ESC, and Hextronik HXT500 servos.

C0d3M0nk3y

I'm using the FrSky X4R-SB receiver with the FrSky SP-FLVS for battery telemetry.

I picked up a Tipple 2S 800 mAh 20C battery from the FT store when I ordered the speed build kit.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Did you maiden this yet? I managed to get the airframe built (scratch) but lost steam/interest for a minute while waiting for the missing electronics to show up :p

If you like this one, try a versa next :)

dharkless

The Pun Jet is really cool but I would not try it as a first fixed wing.

Simple Storch or Tiny Trainer would be good first fixed wing choices.

C0d3M0nk3y

Did you maiden this yet? I managed to get the airframe built (scratch) but lost steam/interest for a minute while waiting for the missing electronics to show up :p

I actually haven't maidened it yet. I've just been flying my mini quads every time I go out flying.

If you like this one, try a versa next :)

I have an idea of what my next fixed wing build will be if I like this one (or maybe if I don't because it's too difficult).

Winglet

Worst possible first fixed wing. I'm just saying. I hope it doesn't leave you with a sour taste for fixed wing flying because it really is a lot of fun. Your equipment will recycle well into a Tiny Trainer. Keep that in mind. Good Luck.