Twitchity mini hex build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm building a mini hex using a frame from Twitchity. This is the third version of his mini hex frame. Mine is made of G10.

Initial specs:

MK 6: Twitchity mini hex v3

motors: Cobra 2204/28 2300 KV
ESCs: KISS 18A
FC: Naze32 acro rev5
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
telemetry: FrSky SP-FLVS
props: HQ 6x3
battery: nano-tech 3S 1800 mAh 65C
5V regulator: Pololu 2107
camera: Mobius wide angle

motor to motor distance: 335 mm
all up weight: 775 g

Current specs:

MK 6: TwitchFrames mini hex v3

motors: Cobra 2204/32 1960 KV
ESCs: DYS SN20a (BLHeli)
FC: RMRC Dodo (Cleanflight)
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
telemetry: FrSky FBVS-01
props: HQ 6x4.5

battery: nano-tech 4S 2250 mAh 65C
camera: GoPro HERO3+ Black

FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600 mW
FPV antenna: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET

motor to motor distance: 335 mm
all up weight: 979 g

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

I received the frame today. Here's what the parts look like.

The parts look great. All of the cuts are nice and clean.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
That looks like a version 3 to me. Those booms sink deeply into the center and you have two different lengths.

The deeper penetration will make the entire frame more rigid and eliminate some of the flex in the original two versions. The screw holes are also much further apart making the boom stronger.

You have the new bobbins too.

Very nice. What motors are you going to put on it?

Invid

That looks like a version 3 to me. Those booms sink deeply into the center and you have two different lengths.

The deeper penetration will make the entire frame more rigid and eliminate some of the flex in the original two versions. The screw holes are also much further apart making the boom stronger.

You have the new bobbins too.

Very nice. What motors are you going to put on it?

This is also the version I just received.

My build:
Naze32 Acro
MinimOSD running MWOSD R1.1
Surveilzone Sony Super HAD CCD 600TVL FPV w/ IR Block 2.8mm Lens
SunnySky x2204 2300kv motors
KISS 18A ESCs
HQProp 6045 glass filled props
IRC 4ch UHF mini Rx
IRC 600mw vTx with Pololu 12v step up regulator
Noname 5v BEC (can't remember where I got this from)
Mobius or GoPro (not sure which yet, perhaps both in rotation).

I need to get some circuit board and a new soldering iron as my cheapie is not up to the task of making a wiring harness.

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

My build:
Naze32 Acro
MinimOSD running MWOSD R1.1
Surveilzone Sony Super HAD CCD 600TVL FPV w/ IR Block 2.8mm Lens
SunnySky x2204 2300kv motors
KISS 18A ESCs
HQProp 6045 glass filled props
IRC 4ch UHF mini Rx
IRC 600mw vTx with Pololu 12v step up regulator
Noname 5v BEC (can't remember where I got this from)
Mobius or GoPro (not sure which yet, perhaps both in rotation).

I need to get some circuit board and a new soldering iron as my cheapie is not up to the task of making a wiring harness.

Very cool.

Twitchity

Cranial is correct, this is the third version of the hex all of you received, and the stiffness of the frame has been noticeably increased as he had mentioned. I'm glad to see all of the packages made it to everyone nice and safely.

Code, I love that shot with all of the parts laid out. That makes me really want to change up my purpleish cutting mat for one of a neutral color for picture taking.

I'm looking forward to watching these builds as they progress. I'll be away most of Saturday, but shoot me a PM if you have any questions and I should reply by Saturday night.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Looking forward to seeing both of these builds!

BTW - Twitchity made some GREAT progress today on getting the plate layout imported into DipTrace for me to start on a PDB. Going to spend some quality time on the quad board this weekend and will probably start on a design for the hex sooner than I was expecting now :D

Twitchity

Fantastic news jhitesma :) If I order from OSH Park again, I think we could possibly have three interested members looking for a PDB. I already know cranial wants one, but let's wait until right after he finishes his build to send him a PDB ;)

I'll try and get you the hex file by tomorrow night. I'm visiting family tonight/tomorrow so I'm limited to my phone at the moment.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Fantastic news jhitesma :) If I order from OSH Park again, I think we could possibly have three interested members looking for a PDB. I already know cranial wants one, but let's wait until right after he finishes his build to send him a PDB ;)

I was going to start on the v2 quad board tonight...but I'm still pretty beat from this virus. I've only been getting a few hours of sleep a night because I keep waking myself up with coughing fits :( Thankfully my wife and daughter didn't get it nearly as bad as I did and are pretty much healed up already. But it's hard to focus on projects when I'm on this little sleep.

I heard a rumor that Cranial may just build another when the PDB is ready so I don't feel that rushed :D

I'd like to be ordering v2 quad boards sometimes next week (not to get anyones hopes up) But we'll see...I'd really like to get a power circuit on there so they could be used with KISS esc's and not need an extra BEC. Doing that would slow things down for sure though.

I'll try and get you the hex file by tomorrow night. I'm visiting family tonight/tomorrow so I'm limited to my phone at the moment.

No big rush, I want to do the new quad board first. I got the outline ready to go and have most of the holes placed but then my eyes got too tired to keep staring at the screen :D

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Three current builds of the Twitchity Mini-Hex this weekend. :)

You have been busy Twitch. Glad to hear you are feeling better jhitesma. I like the idea of the onboard BEC on the PDB. KISS ESCs seem to be the way of the future. I too will be building with them this weekend.

C0d3M0nk3y

Almost all mini multirotors I see are all black, and all of my current multirotors are all black, so I'm going a different direction with this build.

I may have gone a little overboard with the paint. I added about 15 g to the total weight.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
One of the best parts of the G10 frame is the ability to paint it.

You got a color theme in mind like blue and white?

Twitchity

That hex is going to look amazing in all white once its built! That's a beautiful paint job you did too. Was it just your typical rattle can spray paint?

C0d3M0nk3y

That hex is going to look amazing in all white once its built! That's a beautiful paint job you did too. Was it just your typical rattle can spray paint?

Thanks!

This is the paint I used:

I sanded the G10 with some 220 grit sandpaper, then painted a few light coats, then sanded with 320 grit, then a few more light coats, then wet sanded with 400 grit to finish it off.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Well, it's frickin' beautiful.

If you use KISS ESCs, they have blue LEDs on them. If you use eMAX ESCs, they have red LEDs that shine down on the boom. With your paint job, you can really make LEDs pop. :)