Twitchity mini hex build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I went out for a quick LOS test.

Good news: it has plenty of power. It hovers with the throttle somewhere around 1250-1275.

Bad news: I did a couple flips, and motor #1 stopped completely. I was able to bring it back in for a landing without it, which was very surprising to me. Now I'll have to troubleshoot to try to figure out what went wrong.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
That lipo is a brick. Wonder what kind of flight times you will get with it.

I just smoke tested (passed) my CF Twitch hex for the new video camera, transmitter and EZOSD.

Bummer about motor 1. Hope it isn't a fried KISS.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Wow, I'm about 735g or so in the air. But that's without a camera, and all I have for that is a mobius which is barely 30g.

But I'm using 2.2 turnigy 35-45c's I've had horrible luck with nanotechs but would like something with a bit more punch. How much does that battery weigh by itself? Or is the gopro that heavy...

BTW - did some tests on the skirt material today. Ordinary rustoleum spray paint works great on it if you end up deciding you don't want to stick with white. I had some matte black I tried and it went on super easy and even after slitting and sliding it over posts it hasn't chipped.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Rustoleum on what? Did you use that plastic notebook material from the grocery store?

I finally got my OSD working (had to remove the XT-60s from the current sensor to make it all fit) and even after cutting out 4" chunks of cabling and removing all the extraneous wires I have a birds nest in the center of my copter.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The battery is 267 g. The GoPro is 95 g.

Wow, that is a big difference. My 2.2 Turnigy is only 199 g

Cranial - I haven't found any folders that are big enough to make a skirt for the hex yet. I'm just using the "waterproof posterboard" I talked about in my thread. I send CM a few strips for his as well. Drop me a PM if your Twitchity Hex is feeling a little left out and naked ;)

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
It could be an ESC, but I'm running the SN20a ESCs, not KISS. Both the ESC and motor where cool to the touch right after, so I suspect it's an issue with wiring.

I'm leaning more toward an ESC now.

I think I'm going to decommission this hex and use some of the parts in a 6" quad build.

jipp

I picked up a nano-tech 4S 2250 mAh 65C to try out.

It makes the AUW 979 g.

what can i say.. its so pretty. :)

the white sets that twitch off. i like the FT logo oo ( err i see the error in my logic.. that is code monkey logo.. ).. the only thing i can see improving the visual of your twitch.. tribal flames. LOL

and yeah that battery is huge.. i guess that would be better suited to a AP machine?
chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Dang, that does look sharp on the white frame :D

I still need to get Cranial's finished and off to him.

Sorry to hear the hex is going into retirement. I admit though I've considered the same with mine several times. I like it...but I just find four motors more satisfying. That and the props being in the frame of both the FPV cam and the mobius bugs me. But honestly my main complaint is that I don't fly it enough and the only reason for that I'm always scared to fly it because of how much it would cost to replace and the lack of replacements parts availability. (Twitch does still answer my e-mails and I'm sure I could talk him into cutting some new arms if I provided material...but he's busy and I'd rather not bother him.)

Had hoped to fly it today but things just didn't work out for a number of reasons. May try to get some stick time in tomorrow...but today was exhausting and I've got a really full day planned for tomorrow as well.

My Twitch 230 frame is still bugging me. Every time I sit down at my "workbench" I see it sitting there with three motors calling to me. I've been tempted to pickup a set of cheap 2204's to toss on it just to see how bad a set of cheap 2204's would be...but I'm trying to save for a 3D printer so any expenditure is a bad idea right now. Yesterday as I was fixing the hex up in case I did get to fly today I started thinking about how "easy" it would be to swap four of the motors onto the 230 for some acro fun.....But I just can't bring myself to strip the hex like that.

That white sure is pretty though....