Super detailed Spitfire Build

nistrum

haha. wel you better hurry up sir! i built test flown and crashed my FT cruiser already (nothing damaged was just insanely tail heavy).

will be teaching a mate of mine this weekend as we do a dual FT-22 build. will be my 3rd scratch build :p

dont rush though, would hate to see you rush something this cool, just really looking forwards to seeing this finished :D

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Haha cheers man, yeah I'd hate to rush it too. I think taking time with preparation and careful planning usually gives a better chance of success in general. Good to hear you're having fun too! (the failures make success even better, just remember that) :)

Ive been building this in the mean time: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?8852-Speedy-Versa-Wing-Build

Im estimating the Spitfire will be complete in two weeks. Any longer than that and It will have to be delayed until mid June (when exam season ends).

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
No retracts on this one! Im pretty much a noob with most things so Im keeping this build simple :) Maybe next time.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
A quick update; I've been getting into the painting stage of the build and so have started the process by doing the base coat of Earth Brown. A Dark Green will be applied over this with masked off areas to create the curves and arcs of the camouflage patterns.

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

It may look slightly patchy, but another very light coat of brown will sort that out. Most of it will be covered with green anyway. I also need to paint one half of the underside black soon too. Should be all complete in a week or so.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Well, what can I say - things are going very well at the moment.

The masking tape was applied liberally.

IMG_1781.jpg

After a while outside, patiently painting away, this was the end result. Very rewarding.

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

Next step it the gloss spray varnish. Pretty simple really, and I've tested it out already on this paint and foam board - should look even nicer than it does now. I actually started detailing the exhausts too, but any weathering will come before the first gloss coat as I don't want dirt and oil streaks to be too shiny.
The plan is to do that, paint the underside black and white (should be easy in comparison to the camo), weather it all slightly and add panel lines etc, paint up the cockpit, then decal everything up, then some panel lines over the decals, and finally give a second coat of spray varnish.

I hope you guys like how its going as much as I do!

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Ran into a bit of a problem, as I haven't got any black spray paint, or any black normal paint come to think of it. Im going to have to wait until next week unfortunately as the local hobby shop is shut until then. Thats the problem with living in a remote area. In the meantime, Ive been painting up the cockpit details.

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

This must be the longest FT build ever...

Lee923MD

Creative detail!

Wonderful looking model! I have a fairly detailed FT Spitfire project underway and wanted to know what type of tape you used for your wing filets. Need something paint will adhere to. My paint keeps pulling off the "Scotch tape" sections. Also, I'm struggling with the canopy. Is that a Great Planes .25 size canopy? What spinner is that? I am having difficulty matching my suppo motor collet, APC prop and spinner combo.

Attachments

• Spit 4.JPG
    Spit 4.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Wonderful looking model! I have a fairly detailed FT Spitfire project underway and wanted to know what type of tape you used for your wing filets. Need something paint will adhere to. My paint keeps pulling off the "Scotch tape" sections. Also, I'm struggling with the canopy. Is that a Great Planes .25 size canopy? What spinner is that? I am having difficulty matching my suppo motor collet, APC prop and spinner combo.

Nice build man! Thanks for your compliments. Okay so the wing filets are just card bent round into shape and glued and taped together. Paper went over the top to hide the tape from the paint. Im not sure what advice to give you about the paint coming off other than to glue put paper over those areas and then paint over the top. My canopy is off the very first Parkzone Spitfire. You could buy a spare one for pretty cheap from a website that sells their new version of the spitfire's spares. I think it's a Mk 5 spitfire too so it should match your Spitfire very well! I ended up using a Master Airscrew 10/6 prop and an aluminium based spinner from Hobbyking.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Here's the latest update guys. Its practically done (aside from fine tuning and decaling).

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 19.17.34.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 19.17.43.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 19.17.21.png

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Any tips for the maiden flight? Glide tests? CG? I really don't want to damage this on the first hand launch :p

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Its immaculate, James. I don't blame you for being nervous.

Just balance it upside down on the wing spars close to the fuselage. I'm sure you know slightly nose-heavy is better than tail-heavy.
Crank up the throttle to 75% or so and give it a good toss up. Expect a little torque roll before it gets up to speed. I just give it a little elevator and let it climb up into the sky before I let back on the throttle. It glides nicely, so if you start to get into trouble, you can coast back safely.

You got this! :)

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
haha thanks man. Yeah, thats some good advice. It should be fine.

Nice one.

Last edited:

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Three to test fly, Spit, Racer, Bf 109 001.jpg Three to test fly, Spit, Racer, Bf 109 005.jpg

James
Here are some pics of my stable.... Spit modified to look like one of the Reno Racers, flies great... An FT Racer modified, again, with the spit wing... Made a big difference in flying...
And thirdly, I used both Spit and Racer plans to build my son his Bf 109, also a good flyer but I sure like the Spit wing on my Racer....
Good luck on your first maiden flight, just hang on, they are beautiful in the air....
Art, from London Ontario Canada...

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Wedding reception at Jim n Margs 018.jpg Jims plane and wedding reception makeready 001.jpg
Oh, by the way, I forgot to commend you on a beautiful job on your Spit...
One thing about my son's Bf, he was up for a 10 minute flight and got disorented, hit the water tower... Damage has all been repaird now and it's back flying.....
A.