Super detailed Spitfire Build

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thank you Art. You sure have some nice aircraft there too. Love the Reno Spit, nice colour scheme. Shame the BF 109 bought it into the tower, but I'm glad it has been fixed without it being a total write off! I'll let you know how my maiden flight goes.

James.

TehMaxwell

Tales of a Rookie
This is an awesome build, just goes to show how far some foamboard, paint, ingenuity and patience can go! I am super excited to see this fly, it's going to look a real spectacle in the air!

That is if the weather in the UK holds up for you, I'm in Yorkshire and the wind seems to vary every half a mile you move! Good luck!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Cheers guys, yeah the weather seems a bit off and on at the moment. I was flying my Versa tonight and it was very windy. Should be okay soon enough though as we've had some nice days recently.

I'm actually pretty confident about the flight now. Seems like everyone have had a good experience with the design on the whole.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Hurry up, I can't wait any longer! I'm joking. Wait for a good day! My spit was beaten hard by the wind today and ended up in a tree with pretty significant damage. Its back and better than ever, but yours is too pretty to go down like mine did.

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Racer with cowl 002.jpg Racer with cowl 001.jpg Well, cleanin up my workshop yesterday, of which I didn't get far on it, I found an old cowl that was for a plane wayyyyy in the past and I thought............................. why not fit it to my FTR/S, so I did...
Had several good flights with the Reno Spit in the morning and spent an hour or two in the workshop after, attaching the cowl.....
Makes it look pretty huh??

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
So yesterday I flew the spitfire for the first time.

The flight went well.
It is in one piece.
No one died.
Life is good.

Here are some photos.

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 13.06.58.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 13.11.01.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 13.11.25.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 13.11.37.png

No video as of yet as I picked an inconvenient time for anyone to come out with me to film. Sorry. Next time!

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
Wow that Spitfire looks great. I am making one for my dad for christmas( just ordered a SBK and electronics. I am planing to make his very similar to yours because it looks so good. Just out of curiosity what electronics are you running and what diameter spinner is that? I hope the Spitfire is still going strong! Also I was planing on using dualairlrons so he could have flaps as well. do you think that this is a good idea?

Thanks,
Jack

ianlh

Great build, I am doing a 92 Squadron at the moment, being UK based what paint did you end up using?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

Aeronaut: Thanks man. I think the spinner is like 2.5". The electronics are all standard hobby king gear and an orange receiver.

ianlh: Sounds good! I ended up using Tamiya spray cans.

Grounded Gremlin: Thanks! I will do, but I'm at University at the moment until mid November so no flying up until then unfortunately.

Cscottb84

Spitfire battery size to BIG?

IM NEW AND IM MOST LIKELY IN THE WRONG FORUM. I'm building the spitfire, and can anyone help me with where the heck does my battery go? In side the power pod or below it? Please send pics. Also, is the battery I'm using too big, it's a E-flite 3S 11.1V 2200mAh 30C. I have a feeling it's too big. Pleas help. I'm new to the sport! Thank you for the help.

desert wings

Foam Fan
2200's OK

IM NEW AND IM MOST LIKELY IN THE WRONG FORUM. I'm building the spitfire, and can anyone help me with where the heck does my battery go? In side the power pod or below it? Please send pics. Also, is the battery I'm using too big, it's a E-flite 3S 11.1V 2200mAh 30C. I have a feeling it's too big. Pleas help. I'm new to the sport! Thank you for the help.

The 2200 battery will be fine. I have two FT spitfires and that is the battery I prefer. The spitfires are designed to have the battery attached underneath the pod. I use Velcro on the battery and underside of the pod to attach it. Mine ends up pretty far forward to get the center of gravity correct. That being said, if it fits inside the pod and you can get the plane to balance, you can put it there as well. It is a little less convenient inside the pod in my opinion.

Attachments

• Spitfire.JPG
    Spitfire.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15

Cscottb84

The 2200 battery will be fine. I have two FT spitfires and that is the battery I prefer. The spitfires are designed to have the battery attached underneath the pod. I use Velcro on the battery and underside of the pod to attach it. Mine ends up pretty far forward to get the center of gravity correct. That being said, if it fits inside the pod and you can get the plane to balance, you can put it there as well. It is a little less convenient inside the pod in my opinion.

I have to say WOW thats AWESOME looking! NICE job. After i posted to this, I kind of figured out that i need to place it under the pod for convenes. Thank you so much for your help! Im starting to build the 150% Spitfire. I just wish i started this hobby years ago! thanks again.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Nice build Desert Wings! Yeah 2200 under the powerpod. Need to take some pics of my new markings on the Spit. Looks even nicer now.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Nice build Desert Wings! Yeah 2200 under the powerpod. Need to take some pics of my new markings on the Spit. Looks even nicer now.

James,
That bird looks great! Where did you get the canopy, and what size is that prop?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Wow, James! That is one heck of a good looking DTFB build! Nicely done, sir!

Thanks man, means a lot. :)

Here is the Spitfire with the markings I have gotten round to putting on so far. I still need to do the underside roundels and some other details.

View attachment 37229

View attachment 37230

In reply to Jaxx, the canopy is from a Parkzone Spitfire MK 2 and the prop is a 10x5 Master Airscrew.

Last edited:

TheHuevos

Super Newb
Just finished reading all 10 pages of this thread. Amazing work JamesWhom. Keep posting threads like this. This is a truly inspiring post! Look forward to more work from you.