Timmy's Thread

whackflyer

Master member
To add to what I said earlier, it for me personally it isn't about OTX being bad, it is just that I already know Spektrum and stick to it. The others might say that the Radiomasters and Jumpers aren't reliable, but that is only because they have experience with those systems failing. I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and that opinion is shaped by past experiences. People that have had good experiences with multiprotocol transmitters would probably like them, people who have had bad experiences wouldn't like them, and for me, with no experience with them, I don't know what to think so I stick to my known trusted option.
The whole issue is that most of them trashing Jumper/Radiomaster haven't tried it. I've found that proper setup is everything when going for a reliable system. I've had several planes with Spektrum in them crash, because of bad setup on my part. The same goes for my Jumper, but so far I haven't had a crash because of it even with questionable antenna placement. The truth is that 95% of the systems on the market are very reliable if they're set up right.

OliverW

Legendary member
The whole issue is that most of them trashing Jumper/Radiomaster haven't tried it. I've found that proper setup is everything when going for a reliable system. I've had several planes with Spektrum in them crash, because of bad setup on my part. The same goes for my Jumper, but so far I haven't had a crash because of it even with questionable antenna placement. The truth is that 95% of the systems on the market are very reliable if they're set up right.
I'm not trashing on it. It's new, and I just want to wait a few years before I consider getting one since it could be a risk for my aircraft, or it could be a good thing

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well said. I think all these ignorant kids (ehmmmmm @The Hangar @Samh and @SquirrelTail) would actually like OTX and the Jumper/Radiomaster ecosystem if they tried it. Sorry if I offended y'all... ;D
The people you tagged fly planes that are in the quadruple digits, whereas most the rest of you fly stuff in the double, maybe triple digits. Once you have so much money invested into something you start seeing things differently. Just sayin. :)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The people you tagged fly planes that are in the quadruple digits, whereas most the rest of you fly stuff in the double, maybe triple digits. Once you have so much money invested into something you start seeing things differently. Just sayin. :)
My balsa WOT trainer is around the £200 cost to replace ($275 to you), I have flown this and some of my other pre built foam models using the TX16s and had no reservations about its reliability. I have used Spektrum receivers so far which is my only concession.
However, as I explained in a previous post once I have fully tested and evaluated my Flysky and Radiomaster receivers in my foamboard models I will have no hesitation in using them in my more expensive planes.
My good frend fly's an Sbach worth significantly more than my WOT trainer, with his Radiomaster TX16s and also has no reservations.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have had both radiomaster and spektrum. Radiomaster is way more capable the spektrum in my opinion especially for the price. Spektrum is a lot simpler though.
Thats why a lot of these guy's on the forum like the Spektrum its Simple. Lets face it thats why they buy Spektrum, if you want a quality radio system that's reliable and proven you buy FRsky/Taranis. Its also pricey like Spektrum but the asthetics are good and components are better quality than Jumper and Radiomaster and funtionality is better than Spektrum.

Samh

Elite member
Thats why a lot of these guy's on the forum like the Spektrum its Simple. Lets face it thats why they buy Spektrum, if you want a quality radio system that's reliable and proven you buy FRsky/Taranis. Its also pricey like Spektrum but the asthetics are good and components are better quality than Jumper and Radiomaster and funtionality is better than Spektrum.
FrSky/Taranis is nowhere close to reliable. Functionality is not better than spektrum 100% guarantee. I have seen many planes go down because of FrSky

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
True. I would 100% trust my Jumper to a plane like that tho. It's not that I have anything against Spektrum, I had it and liked it. It just seems there's some prejudice here of people trashing anything other then Spektrum with no proof to back up their arguements. It all comes down to what you want, and I'd rather pay $170 for a transmitter with 2x the channels and way more functionality, then pay 350$ for a DX8 where you're locked into the Spektrum ecosystem. If you like Spektrum, great. I used to have it and it was fine, but it seems that Jumper is just as reliable for a third of the price, with more functionality, so I'll stick with Jumper for now. Sorry in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings.

Samh

Elite member
True. I would 100% trust my Jumper to a plane like that tho. It's not that I have anything against Spektrum, I had it and liked it. It just seems there's some prejudice here of people trashing anything other then Spektrum with no proof to back up their arguements. It all comes down to what you want, and I'd rather pay $170 for a transmitter with 2x the channels and way more functionality, then pay 350$ for a DX8 where you're locked into the Spektrum ecosystem. If you like Spektrum, great. I used to have it and it was fine, but it seems that Jumper is just as reliable for a third of the price, with more functionality, so I'll stick with Jumper for now. Sorry in advance if I hurt anyone's feelings.
There is no reason to get a 16 channel transmitter when you only maybe use 6 lol

whackflyer

Master member
There is no reason to get a 16 channel transmitter when you only maybe use 6 lol
But why not have more channels and more capability with the same reliability for a third the price? I mean, good attempt at an argument;). Sorry for trashing your thread @Timmy :cool:

whackflyer

Master member
FrSky/Taranis is nowhere close to reliable. Functionality is not better than spektrum 100% guarantee. I have seen many planes go down because of FrSky
I beg to differ. I really hate arguing with other respected forum members, but just look it up. 90% of the articles I saw on the debate say FrSky is the same or better as far as range or reliability.

I'm done now... :)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am leaving this post now, as this particular threads has dragged on too long. but before I do go let me make one last point.

Its very loyal of you guys to stand by Spektrum as loyal customers. Yet your very quick to criticise or condem multi protocol systems, but let me ask this how many of you have actually used one ?
Those of us who support multi protocol radios are doing so through valid arguments. We have used both Spektrum and Open Tx radios and are therefore in a better situation to formulate an honest opinion.

My son as a little boy use to refuse to eat certain foods, I use to ask him "why" as he hadn't even tried them ? his answer was because it was something new or he didn't like the look of it.
So one day we did a blindfold experiment with food. It was suprising how many of the mystery foods that he tasted, he actually liked. More interesting still is the fact that most of the food he tasted, he had previously refused to eat.

Its okay to be scared of the unknown or hesitant about something new. But dont just dismiss something because its different to the norm.
You never know, you may grow to like it :p just like the enlightend ones.

Samh

Elite member
Are you familliar with R9M (900mhz) or Crossfire long range systems ? If so, then surely you must appreciate how limited Spekrum's 2.4 ghz system is in comparison.
Naaa no need to be familiar. If are a true hobbyist you would be familiar with the AMA and FAA and you would know that that flying beyond your LOS is illegal. Spektrums range has far more range than you can see the plane so there is no need for a Crossfire

Samh

Elite member
"AMA's Safety Code include the requirement to see and avoid manned aircraft and maintain model aircraft operations within visual line of sight and below 400ft AGL"-Direct quote from AMA. You can get hefty fines if you are flying beyond your visual LOS

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am leaving this post now, as this particular threads has dragged on too long. but before I do go let me make one last point.

Its very loyal of you guys to stand by Spektrum as loyal customers. Yet your very quick to criticise or condem multi protocol systems, but let me ask this how many of you have actually used one ?
Those of us who support multi protocol radios are doing so through valid arguments. We have used both Spektrum and Open Tx radios and are therefore in a better situation to formulate an honest opinion.

My son as a little boy use to refuse to eat certain foods, I use to ask him "why" as he hadn't even tried them ? his answer was because it was something new or he didn't like the look of it.
So one day we did a blindfold experiment with food. It was suprising how many of the mystery foods that he tasted, he actually liked. More interesting still is the fact that most of the food he tasted, he had previously refused to eat.

Its okay to be scared of the unknown or hesitant about something new. But dont just dismiss something because its different to the norm.
You never know, you may grow to like it :p just like the enlightend ones.
I’ve flown a buddy’s jumper and it kept having signal issues with the plane we were flying. He also had an LOS with his quad causing a crash that broke it. So yeah, I’ve had experience with one and I’m not overly impressed. Never once had one of those issues with any of my 5 Spektrum radios.