Timmy's Thread

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
"AMA's Safety Code include the requirement to see and avoid manned aircraft and maintain model aircraft operations within visual line of sight and below 400ft AGL"-Direct quote from AMA. You can get hefty fines if you are flying beyond your visual LOS
In the UK we too have the same 400ft limitation and only a complete retard would fly anything beyond their line of sight.
I wasn't making the point about distance per say from R9M or crossfire, more the technology advancements and the fact its a broader operating band and less conjested than the 2.4ghz band width used by Spektrum. I was also trying to point out in directly that the R9M system was introduced by FRsky. Plus advancement in open source software has helped Open Tx to become so popular.

I watch a of lot of You tube and chat on other forums and its very apparent to me. That FRsky is a very popular operating system across the world.
In fact until you pointed out the issues your club members have been experiencing, with FRsky equipment and crashes I had never heard anyone before having issues with FRsky or there system :unsure:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I’ve flown a buddy’s jumper and it kept having signal issues with the plane we were flying. He also had an LOS with his quad causing a crash that broke it. So yeah, I’ve had experience with one and I’m not overly impressed. Never once had one of those issues with any of my 5 Spektrum radios.
Maybe he should have completed a range check prior to flying ? I do that before I fly every model each time I visit the field religiously.
You didn't mention which receivers he was using either or his antenna placement or positioning.
I have never had a loss of signal with my Radiomaster and have flown 10 different models with different receiver set-ups. I keep getting low RSSI and telemetry lost with my Spektrum receivers. But the in built telemetry, only has a small range anyway so only suitable for fly by's. The reception of the receiver is good though for 300ft+. I never usually fly much further than 300ft anyway unless flying bigger models or gliding then I am restricted by the CAA to 400ft anyway.
Think you just had a bad experience with the jumper :unsure:
The only plane I lost signal with, was while flying with my DX6i and it wasn't the transmitter at fault. The receive was a fake Spektrum AR6210 receiver.
I have had 2 crashes both with my Bixler 3, but using 2 different Spektrum DX6i transmitters. The fault was eventually diagnosed as a faulty ESC which kept overheating causing a brown out.

whackflyer

Master member
Maybe he should have completed a range check prior to flying ? I do that before I fly every model each time I visit the field religiously.
You didn't mention which receivers he was using either or his antenna placement or positioning.
I have never had a loss of signal with my Radiomaster and have flown 10 different models with different receiver set-ups. I keep getting low RSSI and telemetry lost with my Spektrum receivers. But the in built telemetry, only has a small range anyway so only suitable for fly by's. The reception of the receiver is good though for 300ft+. I never usually fly much further than 300ft anyway unless flying bigger models or gliding then I am restricted by the CAA to 400ft anyway.
Think you just had a bad experience with the jumper :unsure:
The only plane I lost signal with, was while flying with my DX6i and it wasn't the transmitter at fault. The receive was a fake Spektrum AR6210 receiver.
I have had 2 crashes both with my Bixler 3, but using 2 different Spektrum DX6i transmitters. The fault was eventually diagnosed as a faulty ESC which kept overheating causing a brown out.
Some receivers also have to be frequency matched to get the best range. Antenna placement and range checking are crucial.

Timmy

Legendary member
Wings have been dry fitted and it looks awesome. I need to put on the last couple of struts
P1140680.JPG
, glue everything, put on the landing gear and then FLY!
P1140679.JPG