OliverW

Legendary member
The whole FT forums crew be like:
626_215047.jpg

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Here you go!!! Technically its Monday, but lets just act like its Sunday. Thank you all for your patience. The design is not perfect, but I hope that you have a good time building and flying it. Make a memory! This is a more advanced build, and I highly recommend that you have experience with foam board before attempting to build this. I do not go into a lot of detail in the video, as it is just a basic guide. Enjoy the Stearman! Please post your builds and give feedback.

Build Video:

Plans: (Use tiled for regular printer paper and match the cross-hairs in the corners of the pages)

Attachments

• Sheet 1 Full Size.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 1 tiled.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 2 Full Size.pdf
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 2 Tiled.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 3 Full Size.pdf
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 3 Tiled.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 4 Full Size.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheet 4 Tiled.pdf
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Struts..pdf
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Windshields..pdf
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Landing Gear and Strut TEMPLATE..pdf
    2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
Here go!!! Technically its Monday, but lets just act like its Sunday. Thank you all for your patience. The design is not perfect, but I hope that you have a good time building and flying it. Make a memory! This is a more advanced build, and I highly recommend that you have experience with foam board before attempting to build this. I do not go into a lot of detail in the video, as it is just a basic guide. Enjoy the Stearman! Please post your builds and give feedback.

Build Video:

Plans: (Use tiled for regular printer paper and match the cross-hairs in the corners of the pages)
I'll build this right after my sea otter!

Rhaps

Elite member
Here you go!!! Technically its Monday, but lets just act like its Sunday. Thank you all for your patience. The design is not perfect, but I hope that you have a good time building and flying it. Make a memory! This is a more advanced build, and I highly recommend that you have experience with foam board before attempting to build this. I do not go into a lot of detail in the video, as it is just a basic guide. Enjoy the Stearman! Please post your builds and give feedback.

Build Video:

Thanks Johnny! What would be a better way to spend summer vacation than to hole up in basement (dining room in my case) with hot glue gun :)
1595987792398.png
Had to make an investment for landing gear though
1595987973816.png

PoorManRC

Master member
(GO TO PAGE 11 FOR PLANS AND BUILD VIDEO)

So I have always been around the real Stearman because my grandfather restores and flies them. I decided to make the Stearman because I had a balsa wood kit lying around for a rubber band powered model. I took the plans to Staples and got them scaled up to a 40 inch wingspan and built it. The fuselage uses a box surrounded by formers and outer skin to make a beautiful (completely foam board) fuselage. The wings use a new wingtip technique to make more realistic wingtips, and inside the wing is a box spar. This version only has ailerons on the bottom wing, just like the original, but still has plenty of aileron control. The paint scheme on the plane matches my grandfathers stearman- even the numbers on the side. All my plans are hand drawn but if anyone knows how to make online plans I would love to post them for everyone to use!

Note- I will bring this to Flite Fest Ohio 2019- See ya there!

Flight- This thing flies on rails! It flies amazing in calm weather, but gets bumped around a lot in the wind due to the second wing.

Specs- Power Pack B or C recommended, 40 inch wingspan, 4-5 sheets of foam to build, 9x6 wood prop is my favorite prop.
View attachment 134220
View attachment 134221
View attachment 134222
View attachment 134225
Like has been said at least 100 times...
That thing is BEAUTIFUL!! 💯👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
The Stearman is one of my favorite Planes - my favorite Bipe!!

I tried making one from someone else's plans... But my FAT arthritic Fingers failed me only a third of the way through. 😢😭😖
I've even got a 3D Printed Stearman Engine, to fit over the C Pack Motor.

I would love it if I could get someone to cut one for me.

Jonny Gum

Elite member

I tried making one from someone else's plans... But my FAT arthritic Fingers failed me only a third of the way through. 😢😭😖

Thanks so much! Is there anyone in your area that could help you cut?

Quinnyperks

Legendary member

Where are you located?