FTFC20 Bellanca Aircruiser C-27A by Matagami Designs

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
First, tails: On single prop planes of this era, I have one personal experience, the Folkerts SK3. Initial versions were made with everything true to scale. That was a mistake. I could BARELY control the lateral direction because the tail was too small - a common problem of planes of the early aviation era - coupled with the fact that the GIANT nose and forebody were effectively blanking it at sideslip angles. After scaling up the vertical by about 10% in AREA, it behaved better. It was still friggin' scary to hand-launch, but that's not because of the tail. :p

Looking at your pictures, your horizontal doesn't look too bad, but the vertical definitely looks undersized. I would start by increasing the vertical area by about 20%. I don't know all you dimensions off-hand, but it looks like you could probably just make the tail about an inch or two taller and start there. :)

Wings...

A "flying strut" like you have here is definitely not a trivial feature. @willsonman rightly points out the complicated airflow interactions between the "struts" and the main upper wing, but it's worse than an annular wing because at least with that you have circular-symmetry. Here you have basically a massive-dihedral "V-wing" biplane, where the lower wing has dihedral but the upper wing doesn't, and the lift of the lower wing is "sucking down" on the lift from the upper wing. I think this may be why most successful "normal" biplanes have the wings staggered, to reduce their interactive effects.

In looking at pictures of the real thing, it appears that the 'strut wings' are thinner relative to the main wing than you've made in your model. This could help because the thinner wing will make less lift, reducing the accelerated-flow effects Josh talked about. The lift-interactions should be less pronounced - more like his suggested flat plat wing than a highly-cambered airfoil.

If you reduce the thickness of the lower strut-wings it will also reduce the camber. This will reduce the lift they make, which should also reduce their effect on the upper wing.

You should also note the vertical struts on the original are not simple rods, they are "blades". This isn't for strength, it's for drag and clean airflow. A cylinder has 10-times the drag as a flat-plate of the same thickness and a few "diameters" long, simply due to turbulence. Try putting a blade of foamboard behind the dowels you have there. For best results, taper the blade to an edge.

Matagami Designs

Master member
First, tails: On single prop planes of this era, I have one personal experience, the Folkerts SK3. Initial versions were made with everything true to scale. That was a mistake. I could BARELY control the lateral direction because the tail was too small - a common problem of planes of the early aviation era - coupled with the fact that the GIANT nose and forebody were effectively blanking it at sideslip angles. After scaling up the vertical by about 10% in AREA, it behaved better. It was still friggin' scary to hand-launch, but that's not because of the tail. :p

Looking at your pictures, your horizontal doesn't look too bad, but the vertical definitely looks undersized. I would start by increasing the vertical area by about 20%. I don't know all you dimensions off-hand, but it looks like you could probably just make the tail about an inch or two taller and start there. :)

Wings...

A "flying strut" like you have here is definitely not a trivial feature. @willsonman rightly points out the complicated airflow interactions between the "struts" and the main upper wing, but it's worse than an annular wing because at least with that you have circular-symmetry. Here you have basically a massive-dihedral "V-wing" biplane, where the lower wing has dihedral but the upper wing doesn't, and the lift of the lower wing is "sucking down" on the lift from the upper wing. I think this may be why most successful "normal" biplanes have the wings staggered, to reduce their interactive effects.

In looking at pictures of the real thing, it appears that the 'strut wings' are thinner relative to the main wing than you've made in your model. This could help because the thinner wing will make less lift, reducing the accelerated-flow effects Josh talked about. The lift-interactions should be less pronounced - more like his suggested flat plat wing than a highly-cambered airfoil.

If you reduce the thickness of the lower strut-wings it will also reduce the camber. This will reduce the lift they make, which should also reduce their effect on the upper wing.

You should also note the vertical struts on the original are not simple rods, they are "blades". This isn't for strength, it's for drag and clean airflow. A cylinder has 10-times the drag as a flat-plate of the same thickness and a few "diameters" long, simply due to turbulence. Try putting a blade of foamboard behind the dowels you have there. For best results, taper the blade to an edge.

So all the dimensions are based off of plans from a balsa model I found on outerzone scalded to be a 55" wingspan. I did take some liberties with the vertical to shape it like the army air force C-27 version. On my initial build I was playing around with floats and had added stub rudders to the tail so maybe I will add these back on and start there. For the strut wings I do think my chord is a bit longer than the scale version at the connection between the two wings. I appreciate your observation regarding the vertical struts above the gear. In my 1st version these were 1/8" bamboo skewers and are currently 5/16" dowels. I will add the streamline like you have suggested for this build. It appears I can thin these up upon closer inspection for following versions.

I think I will do these few changes rebuild the nose and try to get someone else with more experience to fly it. @willsonman. Or crash it whichever.:)

Thanks for everyone's support on this build. I truly appreciate this great community.

1603847350678.png

1603847399490.png

chris398mx

Master member
Didn't your earlier version fly a lot better? (if my memory serves me correctly) It sounds like you should take the comments from @willsonman and @Mid7night for sure, but I am thinking a lot of the problems must be due to the significant increase in weight. I think you should concentrate on taking as much weight out as possible and incorporating their suggestions as best you can and see where that gets you. Just my 2 cents although I don't have the experience and clout these gentlemen have. This is a great looking plane and I think you can get it to be a good flyer as well.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Didn't your earlier version fly a lot better? (if my memory serves me correctly) It sounds like you should take the comments from @willsonman and @Mid7night for sure, but I am thinking a lot of the problems must be due to the significant increase in weight. I think you should concentrate on taking as much weight out as possible and incorporating their suggestions as best you can and see where that gets you. Just my 2 cents although I don't have the experience and clout these gentlemen have. This is a great looking plane and I think you can get it to be a good flyer as well.

Yeah I was able to fly my initial build quite comfortably once the CG was corrected and things were dialed in with help from @willsonman. Hopefully he can work some magic again. I am going to take a break to finish my mighty mini nemesis but then I am hoping to have it rebuilt in time for our fry and fly next Saturday.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Rebuilt the nose and added a touch of color. :D

View attachment 142089

For the CG i have it balance at 2" from the LE on a 7.5" chord this is @ 26% of the chord . The scout balances at 2.25" on a 9" chord that is 25% of the chord. Since i basically took the dimensions from the scout for this airfoil and then scaled it slightly it should be at the same location along the chord correct? That is unless the flying strut beneath is doing something weird? I'm guessing the balance is OK and it was mainly pilot error although i will move the battery forward slightly next flight to confirm. I was throwing it right handed o_O and having to transition to my controls much quicker than the left handed toss i should have been doing. Also i will take the scout with me next time to help knock some rust off and get me ready.

I was also pondering making the tail 10-15% larger or something in the neighborhood to help it track straight and provide me extra stability. Any other thoughts about how else to give it trainer flight characteristics?

I have my linkages set at the lowest hole on the control arm and at furthest for the surface control horns. Not really sure what expo i had but my DXE was running low rates. I guess i will have to hook up my phone and mess with the settings.(I despise the DXE) What do you recommend to start @FoamyDM ?
this could be the best looking civilian type aircraft I've ever seen hands down an absolutely amazing job

Matagami Designs

Master member
@willsonman took the aircruiser up today and is evidently a much better pilot than I am. He was able to keep things under control for the most part. It definitely still has some weird flight characteristics. All was going pretty well but still ended up stalling it into a spin. It landed in the one spot with tall grass and didn't really take any damage.

Not sure what all to change for v4 but definitely planning on returning to the FT style wing. Although the aesthetic aren't the greatest it definitely didn't have as bad stalling issues and it's much easier to build that way.

20201107_131909.jpg

Tench745

Master member
I'm curious how the flight characteristics would change if you simply removed the lower surface of the wing outboard of the ailerons. That little bit of undercamber should help improve the stall/spin characteristics.

Matagami Designs

Master member
I'm curious how the flight characteristics would change if you simply removed the lower surface of the wing outboard of the ailerons. That little bit of undercamber should help improve the stall/spin characteristics.

I have thought about doing this, just cut away that outer panel and see if that helps. That is the biggest difference having the outer wing under cambered rather than flat.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Well now that I have been flying the Aircruiser a bit more comfortably I am feeling inclined to make V4.:)

20210623_173433.jpg

My goal for this time around is to combine simplicity in the build by eliminating the speed wing (no time spent chamfering and sanding) as well as to keep weight to a minimum. In the previous designs I doubled up on the plates for the tail to create an airfoil shape. I want to eliminate this for the weight and again as well as the time spent chamfering and sanding to get the right shape. I will just need to be sure to reinforce the H stab properly. Furthermore I plan on increasing the size of the the tail feathers as well. It occurs to me in V1 when making the wing I made the wing scale in length but not in chord. I plan to scale the horizontal up to be at least 20% the wing area. Does this same 20/25% area rule apply to the vertical stab as well? I'm not sure if I want to incorporate the dummy engine/cowling I made for V3 as I still have trouble landing and not nosing over and 3d printed parts are fragile and id like to keep it looking good as long as possible (It will likely wreck on the maiden who am I kidding...) I think the foam cowling looks fine for the most part. But as far as the wheel pants I'm leaning towards 3D printing due to the compound curves and rigidity required. Maybe some bigger better wheels to help with the landings?

Any other ideas on for this build? other tips to save some weight?

Here is a screen grab of the current progress:

1624500942375.png