ImmersionRC Vortex build

jipp

I'm not sure what you mean.

you layered the other video footage on top of the gopro. so i was a little confused as your old videos did not have that.. thought maybe had to do with the new setup. i understand what im seeing now.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
you layered the other video footage on top of the gopro. so i was a little confused as your old videos did not have that.. thought maybe had to do with the new setup. i understand what im seeing now.

chris.

Oh, yeah. Sorry. That's the footage from the FPV camera that I recorded with a DVR layered on top of the GoPro footage. Just trying out something new and I thought some people might be interested in what the OSD looks like.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
4s packs for these copters are a rare comodity these days it seems... after stalking getfpv for 2 weeks I finally caught the 1800mah 75C 4s lumineers in stock... ordered 6 of them (1300mah 4s still showing as back ordered but I'd expect to see them pop up shortly. They won't be around long as that pack is one of the 2 recommended 1300's)

jipp

heck ill be happy if i ever catch hobby king with 3s 1300 40-90C they are always sold out.. and i do not think i want to pay what other places want.

chris.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Here's a quick video showing the different OSD options:

I've never used an OSD, so I didn't really know what to expect. I thought I would like AirRace the best, and I thought I would like HUD just because it looks cool. I didn't think I would like EzOSD at all. I was totally wrong. EzOSD is my favorite by far. I was a little overwhelmed when I first tried it, but after a little getting used to, I really like having all of the information available. AirRace is okay, but it left me guessing about how much battery I had left. I could barely even fly with HUD because of all of the stuff right in the middle of the screen. I didn't like it at all. I like the idea of Gamer a lot (maybe because I like to fly low), but I don't see myself using it if I'm just out flying. If there were multiple people using it so you could compare scores, it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

jipp

thanks for sharing that. im with you man.. hud has to much going on in the middle.. i think i would like a hud version 2 ( where it has your quads level flight and when you tip it left or right it drops in that direction with a simple single line with all the other data on the sides/top/bottom.. just one a single line so you have a clear view.. if that makes any sense. ) my guess hud will be for pilots who are use to looking at that stuff. but it just seems to ruin the experience of FPV when you have all that stuff right in your face.. you almost hit a tree in that mode too.

not sure how gamer mode works. but if it makes flying with other people other options to entertain.. more power to it.

im with you i liked the same mode you do..
chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Last time I got to do some FPV I finally gave in and tried without OSD since my first FPV flights.

Honestly I didn't notice a big difference :) I just kind of tune the OSD out usually anyway, I like having it there but very seldom do I even think to look at it while flying. I mainly use it for tweaking setups and because I like the stats at the end of flight time/speed/distance. (which I miss on the Brain...gotta look into if they're there and I just have them disabled or if I need to look into the code and try building them.)

I was really nervous about flying without it after doing 99% of my FPV flying with. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at how little I missed it given how I already knew I have to make an effort to read it while flying normally.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Until I flew the Vortex I'd never flown with an OSD. It was myself, Boris and a few others that asked for a simple version. All I care about is when I need to land. Concentrating on anything else only ends in hitting a tree for me. For me, a mini FPV racer is like driving a GoKart. You don't need all the fancy numbers, it's just you and what you can see what's in front of you.

I find the OSD really handy for all the non flying stuff but elementary for the actual flying.

Ocean

I agree with FGA, all I want for a mini quad is the voltage and a timer, the HK super simple does this for only 10 bucks or so.

Planes on the other hand... I want everything I can get.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
350 mW integrated video transmitter means no Vortex for me. :-(

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
it seems you could build your own votext with your own hardware if you were to buy the two crash kits that will be offerd.. carbon bits 55.00 plastic 13.00 or so..

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/588-vortex-crash-kit-no-2.html
http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/587-vortex-crash-kit-no-1.html

You still need the power distribution board though, which isn't yet for sale (and makes up the bottom part of the frame). I don't really see the point in trying to build your own unless you just like the form factor and don't like the internals... the main reason to purchase this copter is not having to build, and everything integrated in one package. When I build another it will most likely be a blackout.

You also need to consider that the current speed controls are proprietary, and fit inside the carbon tube arms... you'd play hell finding a solution that works that well and is as clean of a build.

jipp

yeah, i had no plans to do so.. but figure it was a option.. i do not see why you could not fit the stuff in between the rails. how thick is the vortext?

chris.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I'll put this here for no other reason than because I can. :)

I had a ball of an afternoon today flying with Anthony and Greg from ImmersionRC/Fatshark and got to test out the new test motors. When you keep the weight down the stock out of the box Vortex is very fast and I managed to have a good crash that proved it's durability after Anthony kept telling me to push it. It was a fun maiden. I Pulled it out of the box, attached the battery and D4r-II receiver out on the field and 5 minutes later I was airborne and racing my friends using Ummagawd's protune PID's for the 4s 5x4 setup. It really is impressive how simple this this is to get in the air. I also got given a stock production Vortex so I can get my own protune PID's up there for you guys. I couldn't do it earlier because my prototype Vortex ESC's had old FW that was having sync issues and I didn't want to post something that wasn't fully tested. Now I can do something about it and I have three different Vortex setups to compare against each other. I just need a lot more 1300 4s packs now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14