PC 21 Scratch Build

Jackson T

Elite member
I got the front half of the canopy done today!
1592133811226.png
I've pulled it all off now to work on attaching the tail surfaces. After that, all I have to do is glue on the canopy support frame, re-install the canopy, and hook up some pushrods!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Nice work indeed! Just trimming a preformed canopy frustrates the heck out of me and you made one that looks that good from scratch! (y)

Joe

Jackson T

Elite member
I had to cut a small recess into the rear of the fuselage for the BBQ skewer.
1592730678047.png

It turns out we have some red poster paint that's a pretty close colour match to the covering film, so I decided to brush paint the recess.
1592731385714.png

The control horns will be cut out of fibreglass sheet. The fibreglass is made of 5 layers of ~100g/m2 (3 oz/ft2) cloth. It has a total thickness of between 0.5 and 1mm (0.02-0.04 in.). The fibreglass is transparent, so getting the pattern onto the glass was very easy.
1592732021776.png

JeromeAu

I'm making the instrument panel thingy out of cardboard. View attachment 169744
Next I made the actual instrument panel with cardboard, spray paint, and some random pictures of avionics displays printed off from google. The PC 21 has a "glass cockpit". It's not a very accurate re-creation, but it should give some sort of cockpit feel. View attachment 169745
Then, I painted the whole cockpit area black with brush-on poster paint. View attachment 169746
Next up will be the canopy, but I'll have to wait a little while until I can get to the shops and get a fizzy bottle. Does anyone have any tricks to share on heat forming canopies? I have a plan B, but if I can heat form it that would be ideal. l experimented with heat forming plastic canopies a little while ago, but it didn't really work properly.

If you like and able to print with a 3D printer? i can send you the files to print the instrument panel i designed!!
PC-21Cockpit.png

JeromeAu

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks! I don't have a 3D printer, but I'll be visiting some friends that live far away that have a 3D printer in a few weeks. Can you scale your drawing reasonably easily to get it to the right size?
Yes I can do that for you.Just need the size in mm plz (Aussie Here) and I send it t yousee image below on what needed. your able to sand it down to make a perfect fit
sizing.png

This is one i did for my PC-9

PC-9-Cockpit-Photos-11.png

Jackson T

Elite member
WOOHOO!!! IT FLIES!!!
It needed a fair bit of right aileron trim on the first attempt, so I just tried to bring it around and land. I stalled it and it spun into the ground from about 10-15m (33-50ft) while trying to bring it in, but thankfully only one little balsa piece in the nose broke. I added some right trim, some expo, and shifted the battery forward a touch, and had another go. It flew much better! It doesn't have much stability in the roll axis, but as long as I'm paying attention I should stay out of trouble.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
WOOHOO!!! IT FLIES!!!
It needed a fair bit of right aileron trim on the first attempt, so I just tried to bring it around and land. I stalled it and it spun into the ground from about 10-15m (33-50ft) while trying to bring it in, but thankfully only one little balsa piece in the nose broke. I added some right trim, some expo, and shifted the battery forward a touch, and had another go. It flew much better! It doesn't have much stability in the roll axis, but as long as I'm paying attention I should stay out of trouble.
Just saw the vid on Youtube! Nice Job! it looks amazing!

Jackson T

Elite member
Just saw the vid on Youtube! Nice Job! it looks amazing!
Thanks! I'll get a post out a bit later on the last bits of the build. I've been away for 3 weeks doing work experience ( at two different places), which is why I haven't been able to work on it in ages.