PC 21 Scratch Build

Jackson T

Elite member
Well, I haven’t ever tried anything with retracts, but maybe if the load was pushing straight down the servo arm the load wouldn’t go into the servo. For example, when the gear is down, the servo arm and the wire that is connected to the gear are both aligned so that the force is directed straight down the center of the servo arm and none of it is used to turn the servo. Of course this would only work for small planes though, because if the plane is too big the servo arm would just break. Also, I know that this might be hard to visualize, I just don’t have any drawings now. Sorry about that.
Thanks for the idea! This bird is already overweight, so no retracts on this one. Maybe I should build a V2 of my Piper Arrow sometime with retracts, nav lights and other bells and whistles!

Jackson T

Elite member
Made some hollow ailerons out of 1/16th balsa top and bottom, and some 1/8th balsa on the hinge side. They weigh about 9 grams for the pair.
20200422_165626.jpg

Time to make some wingtips! These are cut out of 1/2 in. balsa.
20200420_184104.jpg

I'll glue them to the wing first, then I'll finish shaping them.

Jackson T

Elite member
What kind of hinges are you going to use?
Probably tape hinges.
@Jackson T : How heavy is a set of retracts for a plane this size?

By eg. Banggood here, they have 25g retracts that would take 2kg plane. (weight on each is 25g) https://www.banggood.com/Metal-Elec...tom-alsobought__8&ID=6288619&cur_warehouse=CN
They look pretty good! Maybe on another build. Are they the ones you used on your T38? I just saw it in your signature and checked it out, it's awesome!

Jackson T

Elite member
Looking good. I'll have to weigh parts before and after covering. 1/2 ounce for covering? Somehow that's more than I would've guessed.
I've been trying to weigh parts before and after covering myself, and so far the red hobbyking stuff adds a bit more than 2 g/dm2 (0.66 oz/sqft), while the see-through burnt orange stuff a bit less than 2 g/dm2. That's for a double sided surface like a wing or tail surface. What covering do you use?

TooJung2Die

Master member
What covering do you use?
I use a few different types of covering. I scored a box of assorted films from someone getting out of the hobby. Most of the balsa airplanes are covered with document laminating film. No idea how much weight that adds but it's probably considered light weight. I also used Hobby King film and recently tried Solarfilm. I have a few rolls of Monokote if the right airplane comes along.

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
I use a few different types of covering. I scored a box of assorted films from someone getting out of the hobby. Most of the balsa airplanes are covered with document laminating film. No idea how much weight that adds but it's probably considered light weight. I also used Hobby King film and recently tried Solarfilm. I have a few rolls of Monokote if the right airplane comes along.
I'm curious to see how much weight those options add, could you weigh a piece before and after covering on your next project?

Jackson T

Elite member
More covering!
1588721963520.png
1588721982186.png

I decided to frame around the servo arm at the tail, but I forgot to on the other side before covering :eek:. I've cut away the covering over the area, and I'm most of the way through gluing the framework in.
IMG20200506091110.jpg IMG20200506091124.jpg
I glued a piece of 1/8th square balsa with cross grain (super bendy) around the contour of the rear cockpit area, then sanded it using the TLAR method. This part helps to smoothly transition the lines from the rear turtledeck to the canopy.
1588722566328.png

The full scale PC 21 has a frame thing in the middle of the canopy. To make this, I laminated 3 strips of 1/16th balsa around a corroplast former. Then, I sanded it to shape.
1588722761511.png
1588722779629.png

I haven't glued it on yet, it's just taped there. I'll glue it in after I finish covering the fuselage.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I still don't quite understand the wing mounting. I know it goes above the bottom plate of the fuselage in the open area, but what then? A lot of lowwing planes at least that I know of have a built up wing bed where the topside of the wing goes.

How are you going to make the canopy? Vacuum former?

Jackson T

Elite member
I still don't quite understand the wing mounting. I know it goes above the bottom plate of the fuselage in the open area, but what then? A lot of lowwing planes at least that I know of have a built up wing bed where the topside of the wing goes.

How are you going to make the canopy? Vacuum former?
The wing mount is goofy, you'll see it when I get there. I didn't have any better ideas at the time. It should work though! Do you know of any good ideas for next time? I'm still figuring out the canopy. Stay tuned!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
The wing mount is goofy, you'll see it when I get there. I didn't have any better ideas at the time. It should work though! Do you know of any good ideas for next time? I'm still figuring out the canopy. Stay tuned!
I would just build the bottom part of the fuselage underneath the wing into the wing. Then, where the wing goes the fuselage is completely cut out and the fuselage can just sit onto the wing instead of the wing sliding into it.