800 Series | nnSpitfire

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 13.36.23.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 13.37.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 13.37.16.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 13.36.13.png

I thought I'd drop some shots of my finished nnSpitfire onto this thread for all to see. For anyone in doubt about building this one - just do it - the results are fantastic. It's a well overdue update of the FT Spitifire, one that I built a long time ago. There are a lot of improvements and additions that should help this thing last and keep going strong; one key feature is the battery hatch.

IMG_0101.jpg
(My old FT Spitfire in flight - this one looks a lot more worse for ware nowadays after 2 years of flight)

Now all that remains is to see how the new nnSpitfire flys! I will let you know soon.

Nice build James. Looks clean. I braved the wind today and the spit handled it well. I ended up getting dead stick a min short of my usual timer which resulted in a bit of a down/crosswind tip stally landing after barely missing some trees but the plane took it like a champion. It's really strong!

Amiromaan

Finally, I got it flying and it flies great! It feels so solid in the air. I'm using a 6x4 prop on 2200kv and the climb is almost limitless. I had some problems with the COG being to far back, so I moved the battery more to the front. Still kind of pitch sensitive though, although it flies nice and straight.

I find it much more difficult to launch this size of plane then the larger chipmunk etc. So in the end I launched and this popsicle stick (that holds the power pod) fell out the nose, I panicked and crashed it. :) Third time breaking the nose off. I'll glue it back together and start painting it.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I can't find the infomation on where the CG should be. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what it is? I know I've seen it before somewhere!

Oh dear. I always have just extentions coming out of the wing then I can either put them straight into the Rx or Y-harness at my own discretion. I couldn't find the cg (didn't look) but it's written at the top not the instructions. I just have my battery as far forward as I can.

Where do you fly James? I'm in south Cumbria and managed to get out with 3 planes including the spot today. Not bad considering the forecast last Tuesday said 60mph winds!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Finally, I got it flying and it flies great! It feels so solid in the air. I'm using a 6x4 prop on 2200kv and the climb is almost limitless. I had some problems with the COG being to far back, so I moved the battery more to the front. Still kind of pitch sensitive though, although it flies nice and straight.

I find it much more difficult to launch this size of plane then the larger chipmunk etc. So in the end I launched and this popsicle stick (that holds the power pod) fell out the nose, I panicked and crashed it. :) Third time breaking the nose off. I'll glue it back together and start painting it.

Did you find that CG as marked in the plans was too tail heavy? Or did you just have it balanced tail heavy unknowingly?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I can't find the infomation on where the CG should be. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what it is? I know I've seen it before somewhere!

James,

There is a CG hole in the wing here on the plans:

cg.JPG

I also include the CG measurement in the build notes at 4.2cm from leading edge.

Amiromaan

Did you find that CG as marked in the plans was too tail heavy? Or did you just have it balanced tail heavy unknowingly?

Actually I didn't look at the plans for the CG, I just figured it would be somewhere at the front of the wing, about where it usually is. Testing didn't feel really tail heavy, so I figured it was ok. I had to cut away some stuff to able to put the batteries more forward, but now it's much better.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Okay cool. I got to fly mine again this weekend. Really love how well it handles for its size. It was super windy but I barely felt it!