Jonny Gum

Elite member
Maiden flight was succesfull, unfortunately no video, it needed 100gr. weight in the nose, it flew great and scale, I had to use a lot of rudder, otherwise it didn't turn, I am very satisfied, great looking and flying plane.
I'm very happy to hear. Yes, the rudder is very important because this design only has ailerons on the lower wing, just like the real Stearman. I'm thinking of making a 'Super Stearman' that will be bigger, more powerful, and have ailerons on both top and bottom. It would also include more scale features most likely. Would anyone be interested in this?

Bifi.baarlo

I'm very happy to hear. Yes, the rudder is very important because this design only has ailerons on the lower wing, just like the real Stearman. I'm thinking of making a 'Super Stearman' that will be bigger, more powerful, and have ailerons on both top and bottom. It would also include more scale features most likely. Would anyone be interested in this?
Maybe I'll build the super version too, but I allready have almost 100 planes, If you have the plans ready and i crash a plane, it is possible.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Just tickling this thread with my puny attempt. Thank you, Jonny Gum, for the plans and the build video. I appreciate your willingness to share. Seems plenty nose heavy with a 2200 3C battery. I added some foam to the wing supports, as I only had some thin basswood to use. I'll try to clean up the joints, paint it, and maiden it soon. Maybe even get a fancy wooden prop!

Attachments

• 20210610_095305.jpg
    20210610_095305.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210610_095314.jpg
    20210610_095314.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just tickling this thread with my puny attempt. Thank you, Jonny Gum, for the plans and the build video. I appreciate your willingness to share. Seems plenty nose heavy with a 2200 3C battery. I added some foam to the wing supports, as I only had some thin basswood to use. I'll try to clean up the joints, paint it, and maiden it soon. Maybe even get a fancy wooden prop!
Beautiful work!

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Beautiful!

cyclone3350

Master member
(GO TO PAGE 11 FOR PLANS AND BUILD VIDEO)

So I have always been around the real Stearman because my grandfather restores and flies them. I decided to make the Stearman because I had a balsa wood kit lying around for a rubber band powered model. I took the plans to Staples and got them scaled up to a 40 inch wingspan and built it. The fuselage uses a box surrounded by formers and outer skin to make a beautiful (completely foam board) fuselage. The wings use a new wingtip technique to make more realistic wingtips, and inside the wing is a box spar. This version only has ailerons on the bottom wing, just like the original, but still has plenty of aileron control. The paint scheme on the plane matches my grandfathers stearman- even the numbers on the side. All my plans are hand drawn but if anyone knows how to make online plans I would love to post them for everyone to use!

Note- I will bring this to Flite Fest Ohio 2019- See ya there!

Flight- This thing flies on rails! It flies amazing in calm weather, but gets bumped around a lot in the wind due to the second wing.

Specs- Power Pack B or C recommended, 40 inch wingspan, 4-5 sheets of foam to build, 9x6 wood prop is my favorite prop.
View attachment 134220
View attachment 134221
View attachment 134222
View attachment 134225
Absolutely stunning. That gets U (y)(y)(y).(y)(y)X10/10th. Three point two likes times ten to the tenth power.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A couple of glamour shots now that she is painted and ready to maiden. Unfortunately, now the weather has decided not to cooperate- I'll see if I can dodge a raindrop or two and report back soon with a flight report.

Attachments

• 20210611_070311.jpg
    20210611_070311.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210611_070435.jpg
    20210611_070435.jpg
    970.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210611_070350.jpg
    20210611_070350.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 0

Filbert650

Finished my Stearman today. I don't think it will ever look this clean again. I might be too afraid to take it out. I will be flying with a Lemon RC stabilized receiver so I am hoping that will help me keep it in one piece. Can someone confirm the CG is the leading edge of the lower wing?

Construction wise, I followed the plans and video, so a great big thanks to Johnny Gum. Almost everything lined up perfectly. I varied from the norm by pre-covering the foam board with colored packing tape in the technique of Experimental Airlines on You Tube. I think that it adds some strength and durability. It also helps to hide some of the flaws. The landing struts will go on when I am certain I don't need to adjust the bend of the gear.

IMG-0944.JPG
IMG-0946.JPG

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Finished my Stearman today. I don't think it will ever look this clean again. I might be too afraid to take it out. I will be flying with a Lemon RC stabilized receiver so I am hoping that will help me keep it in one piece. Can someone confirm the CG is the leading edge of the lower wing?

Construction wise, I followed the plans and video, so a great big thanks to Johnny Gum. Almost everything lined up perfectly. I varied from the norm by pre-covering the foam board with colored packing tape in the technique of Experimental Airlines on You Tube. I think that it adds some strength and durability. It also helps to hide some of the flaws. The landing struts will go on when I am certain I don't need to adjust the bend of the gear.

View attachment 201908 View attachment 201909
lovely

Jonny Gum

Elite member

View attachment 201908 View attachment 201909
Awesome!