Jonny Gum

Elite member
Thanks for all the replies! I'm super happy that people are interested in this design. Here are some pictures of the first test skins going on. If you look on a real Stearman, you will see that a majority of the upper fuselage is made of metal. To recreate this detail, there will be separate upper and lower skins. While this does leave a seam, I think that it makes the plane look even better. For extra detail, you could add a layer of poster board or card-stock over the "metal" areas to add an awesome scale detail. Below is a super technical picture of where the metal parts on a Stearman are. This is interesting because the grey Stearman 552 that came up on google for "stearman fuselage" is actually the exact Stearman I've been flying in for years! Anyways, the other pictures are of the first fuselage test skins.
59A4D185-6BAE-4D80-B007-FDA735264D2E.jpeg
B02E5480-516A-404D-8938-46FC798F6A07.jpeg
54969117-D7A0-4A4D-833D-4F799F96A8BE.jpeg
6E50CAFA-D521-4D97-9D2B-82C3EF7C3AF9.jpeg

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Power pack B motor/esc and just about any servos up to 9g. I would recommend a 9x6 prop (wood if you can). I run a 1300-1550 mah 3s battery. I’m exited to see your build!

Ok, I have a B motor and ESC. Would a 2200 3s work? I don't have anything bigger than 1000mah and smaller than 2200mah.

Also, would you mind give me a link to a wood prop you like? I looked it up but there are too many to choose from.

Thank you,
Jeremy

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Ok, I have a B motor and ESC. Would a 2200 3s work? I don't have anything bigger than 1000mah and smaller than 2200mah.

Also, would you mind give me a link to a wood prop you like? I looked it up but there are too many to choose from.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Your 1000 would work, if you can get the CG. The 2200 is better, you can mount the battery on the bottom under the wing and the pod. More then double the flight time. I went a different route and went with the 2200 battery in the pod and the ESC underneath, but it took some strategic mods here and there to make it work.
20190810_171123.jpg

Here is a Scout that i built, moved the firewall forward by an inch or so. Brought the motor out for balance plus made more room for the battery, had to cut a notch in the wing as well. Had a removable turtle deck for battery changes too. In the pic it is on a balance stand so you can see how well it works, I have a thread on it here

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Your 1000 would work, if you can get the CG. The 2200 is better, you can mount the battery on the bottom under the wing and the pod. More then double the flight time. I went a different route and went with the 2200 battery in the pod and the ESC underneath, but it took some strategic mods here and there to make it work. View attachment 166756
Here is a Scout that i built, moved the firewall forward by an inch or so. Brought the motor out for balance plus made more room for the battery, had to cut a notch in the wing as well. Had a removable turtle deck for battery changes too. In the pic it is on a balance stand so you can see how well it works, I have a thread on it here

Great! Thank you for the info!

Jonny Gum

Elite member

Thank you,
Jeremy
Honestly it doesn’t matter the exact prop however I would recommend master airscrew beech 9x6. The material of the prop does not matter but the wood makes the stearman look amazing. Also yes, the 1000mah battery will work just fine. You will get plenty of flight time, as this plane does not require too much throttle. I don’t think you will be able to fit the 2200mah in the plane.

Prop Link: https://www.masterairscrew.com/products/wood-beech-9x6-propeller

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Honestly it doesn’t matter the exact prop however I would recommend master airscrew beech 9x6. The material of the prop does not matter but the wood makes the stearman look amazing. Also yes, the 1000mah battery will work just fine. You will get plenty of flight time, as this plane does not require too much throttle. I don’t think you will be able to fit the 2200mah in the plane.

Prop Link: https://www.masterairscrew.com/products/wood-beech-9x6-propeller

Thanks for the link! That's the exact prop I was looking at!

slowjo

Master member
Your 1000 would work, if you can get the CG. The 2200 is better, you can mount the battery on the bottom under the wing and the pod. More then double the flight time. I went a different route and went with the 2200 battery in the pod and the ESC underneath, but it took some strategic mods here and there to make it work. View attachment 166756
mine was all painted, adds a lot of wait to the tail, I made a new power pod 2'' longer and added ''cowl'' to cover up motor