BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What are some other good wood props to get? If I'm getting a 9x6, I might as well get some others to get free shipping. What are the most common for different airplanes.
You like the fast flying and if you have gone to 4s then having stuff a little larger and a little bigger. 9x6 was always my go to prop and the prop collection wraps around that. You could go with some larger props for the slower flying stuff like the Bushwhacker, Cub or the Storch with 10x5's and the faster planes like the pusher prop jets or wings you could use 8x8 on 4s. I don't know if i would use a wooden prop on those planes though. Either way its alays good to keep a stash of a few different size and pitch of props hanging around

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You like the fast flying and if you have gone to 4s then having stuff a little larger and a little bigger. 9x6 was always my go to prop and the prop collection wraps around that. You could go with some larger props for the slower flying stuff like the Bushwhacker, Cub or the Storch with 10x5's and the faster planes like the pusher prop jets or wings you could use 8x8 on 4s. I don't know if i would use a wooden prop on those planes though. Either way its alays good to keep a stash of a few different size and pitch of props hanging around

Thank you for replying! So wood is a good choice for Bushwhacker, Cub or the Storch, PT-17 etc?

Also, whats the difference between a regular prop and a "slow fly" prop?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

A slow fly prop is the more delicate of any other prop models, its light weight, usually has wider blades. A Sport prop would be the beefier prop, takes hits better but also weighs more. An electric only is somewhere in between. If you have a light wing loading slow flyer like a Nutball the slow fly props are great because you can put a bigger prop on a smaller motor, less rpm with wide lofty blades is more efficient, especially on lighter batteries like 2 or even 3s 1000mah

Jonny Gum

Elite member
Thank you for replying! So wood is a good choice for Bushwhacker, Cub or the Storch, PT-17 etc?

Wood has no advantage besides being lightweight and looking good. They do break relatively easy, but nothing looks as cool in my opinion.

Jonny Gum

Elite member
I have rethought the fuse skin panels. Each side will have a skin that connects seamlessly over the aft top side. These two will connect with a seam running longways down the bottom of the fuse. The “metal” parts will have their own panels.
E9FAD01F-9FF5-40D4-9273-5818EE14DD27.jpeg
A1BA11E1-295B-4B55-BC5F-4AFF5DF5BCD9.jpeg
E700F382-B61D-4C8A-AF7A-72F7AC39F864.jpeg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A slow fly prop is the more delicate of any other prop models, its light weight, usually has wider blades. A Sport prop would be the beefier prop, takes hits better but also weighs more. An electric only is somewhere in between. If you have a light wing loading slow flyer like a Nutball the slow fly props are great because you can put a bigger prop on a smaller motor, less rpm with wide lofty blades is more efficient, especially on lighter batteries like 2 or even 3s 1000mah
I’ll add that I’ve found the slow fly props out out the most thrust. But it does come at a cost - they break pretty easily. I mist say I was pretty unimpressed with the 9x6 sport prop I have though - for some applications (like a cub where you’re flying slow, or maybe even the stearman) it’s fine, but on something like the bushwacker it just doesn’t cut it. I bumped it up to 4s and was still underwhelmed at the power produced, but when I put the 10x5 it worked awesome. APC 10x5 thin electric is my go-to prop these days. They are very durable but still produce a lot of thrust.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
In my shopping cart I have a 10x10 prop for 3s and a 9x9 prop for 4s. I also am going to get a 12x14 prop that I’ll trim to down to a 9x14 and that’s what I’ll use on @Grifflyer ‘s hotliner! 4s of course! It should be getting over 150 mph! :devilish::devilish:

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I’ll add that I’ve found the slow fly props out out the most thrust. But it does come at a cost - they break pretty easily. I mist say I was pretty unimpressed with the 9x6 sport prop I have though - for some applications (like a cub where you’re flying slow, or maybe even the stearman) it’s fine, but on something like the bushwacker it just doesn’t cut it. I bumped it up to 4s and was still underwhelmed at the power produced, but when I put the 10x5 it worked awesome. APC 10x5 thin electric is my go-to prop these days. They are very durable but still produce a lot of thrust.

Thanks for your input!

How do I tell the difference between sport and slow fly props? I have a couple 9x6's but I don't know what kind they are.

Sorry @Jonny Gum, we kinda hijacked your thread!:oops:

Captain Jay

Elite member

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_1414173.jpg
    IMG_20190825_1414173.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • modelImage.png
    modelImage.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 0