Fun Fighters

tigerduck

Corsair: bent fuselage

Can anyone please help me with finishing the corsair?

My problem is that the airframe is bent so strong down I hardly can attach the cabin-cover on it .
My concern is now, how to get the right angle of attack between elevator and main wing - at the moment it looks like having this angle negative... I can`t imagine this is right!

So can anyone tell me approximately how much this angle should be and/or you how you solved this issue???
In the picture the negative angle doesn`t really look so, but you can see it on the gap between canopy and rear fuselage cover...
I hope I don`t have to send it back!

Thanks a lot for your help,
Christian

corsair side.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If it's EPO, you can try to tape stretch it (watch the paint!) back into the right shape and a little more and leave it like that overnight. I bent my Bixler's nose back like that.

earthsciteach

You can also use a hair dryer and carefully heat it up to bend the tail portion slightly upwards. Be careful not to get the hair dryer too close to the foam or it will get an "alligator skin" appearance. Won't hurt it, but doesn't look great.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Be careful not to get the hair dryer too close to the foam or it will get an "alligator skin" appearance. Won't hurt it, but doesn't look great.

Got that on the belly of my Bixler! I guess it must have been really good music, as good music makes your skin like that :)

tigerduck

Thanks to all of you for the responses and hints, i am gonna try...
But what i still need to know is the approximate angle between elevator and wing - maybe anybody knows this?
Or maybe i can see a pic?

Thx, chris

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
A bunch of guys have these planes in our club.
They take a beating and repair well.
My guess is other than some trim it's going to fly fine.
I keep meaning to get one of these.
Fast and a bunch of fun!

tigerduck

Ooooh yeah, believe me it is real fun!
I also got the rear-bear, first flight was a little freightening, from second on it got my fav plane!

I`ve seen some of these planes and i still think the rear-bear is the most rigid and fastest of them... try 4s and a 5x6 prop...;)
And thereby most fun as i think.
But still needs some reinforcement of the wing if you prefer flying corners instead of curves. and you will!
I have done the reinforcement by laying in two strings of aramid roving at the bottom of the wing, over the fuselage.

Now i also got the corsair because i`m bit of a nerd when i see this knucklewing!
It`s quite detailed and nicely done, except the fit of the canopy and all fuselage parts which are crap - and the spinner as on all funfighters.
And be aware, there is no carbon spar in the wing at the corsair. I`m still not sure how to stiffen this wing - maybe I also try it with the aramid roving...

Yeah... and as you write - I`m gonna throw it in the air as it is (reg. angle of attack) and see what happens! I will tell...

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Bringing an old thread back to life... I just took delivery on the Corsair FunFighter, and was surprised at how fast it is, even with a simple 3 cell 850. The weather wasn't good enough to risk the 4 cell, as orientation was hard enough with the 3S. The quality of the finish is a little less than expected, but as long as it's durable and doesn't fall apart in the sky I'm happy.

I issued a challenge to a friend with a larger (Park Zone?) Corsair to race. He doesn't know about the Fun Fighters and thinks my smaller plane will be an easy victory for him. The plan is to first fly against him with a 3 cell to give him a little taste of the speed, and then swap it to 4 cells to make his jaw drop. :cool:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I told him to bring his kids along so they could watch their dad cry, and he thinks I'm just trash-talking before the race. Hopefully one of my kids will tag along for the day to get some video for me. I haven't flown it yet on 4S and am pretty intimidated. Rates will have to be reduced and some more expo added to help keep me safe!

MrClean

get some flight time and dial in your cg and rates before the flight. Nothing more embarassing the dumping it on launch during a grudge match.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
CG I'm happy with, but rates need a little work. It's not too bad on launch, a little twitchy until it gains speed, but managable. The only day I've flown it so far was a little windy, and WOW did it get small fast!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
These fun fighters seem to be a blast and everyone that has one loves them.

If only we had some DTFB equivalent version.