Fun Fighters

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
These fun fighters seem to be a blast and everyone that has one loves them.

If only we had some DTFB equivalent version.

A nod to your P-39? :)

Hobby King sells the motors for the Fun Fighters as a replacement part, so maybe somebody with some design skills needs to apply some creativity to the problem and create a 4S Swappable Speed Freak!

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
In my opinion it's not worth buying the Funfighter motor to use on other planes. The first problem is that it uses a proprietary collet on the rotor that is a pain to mount props on without using the clunky giant Funfighter spinner, because there is a non-threaded section at the base of the collet that relies on the spinner baseplate to span it. So if you're not using the spinner, then when you're mounting the prop, you run out of threads before the prop is tightened down. Without the spinner, you have to make a spacer of some sort (and make sure it's perfectly centered and balanced). The second problem is that the screws that attach the motor to the motor mount are also a funky proprietary affair, with two of them bigger diameter than the other two. Lose one or both of those screws and you are, well...screwed. And the third problem is that the HK replacement Funfighter motor doesn't come with any screws at all, or a mount of any kind for that matter, or even the nut and washer to secure the prop! (contrary to the photo that they show of the motor on the web site, which has the nut and washer) So I guess they expect you to only use that motor as a replacement for a Funfighter motor that you burnt out and to re-use the hardware from the burnt out motor.

And the bottom line is that there is a better motor to use if you're just using 3S. Here is is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24239

That motor with a 6x4 prop gives better speed, and much better thrust than the stock Funfighter motor and prop on 3S. I use it on the Corsair Funfighter because the Corsair is not much faster on 4S than 3S with the stock motor anyway...it's too draggy of an airframe. If you want the most speed on 4S, go with the Rare Bear not the Corsair. But I still like the Corsair better than the Rare Bear, because it flies better and has no bad habits. The Rare Bear is a little less stable, and a little prone to tip stall...so you have to be on your toes a little more and it is less relaxing to fly than the Corsair.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
The Funfighter motor is worth getting in my opinion. I have built many 67% size FT planes modified for speed. Yes unfortunately the motor doesn't come with a mount. But a simple #28 mount fits just fine and screws are cheap. On the wash and nut.. i dont know what happen there but mine came with them. And i just got one last friday. The props are very easy to mount, some brans need drilling but that common. The motor you recommanded is a great alternative for a speed setup. But ill have no problem keeping up with it and better running a 5.25x 6.25apc prop on 4s. Now if that motor can handle that prop. Then its a winner. Guess ill have to get one and try it out. But over all building one in my opinion is a great idea. Ive had a blast with all of mine. And theres many other motor options out there. From slow parkflyer setup to 135mph. In these little birds. So if its a idea to scratch build one then do it. Youll love them there fast, And easy to fly, well for me

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Re:
The props are very easy to mount, some brans need drilling but that common.

OK I guess I didn't explain very well. Let me try again.

The first problem I mentioned was not referring to the simple fit of the prop on the collet with respect to the diameter of the prop hole. The problem is the fore-aft size of a prop hub with respect to the fore-aft length of the unthreaded portion of the collet. See photos below. The fore-aft thickness of a typical, suitable-size APC prop hub is shorter than the unthreaded base of the collet shaft. So you put the prop on the shaft, and you can not tighten the nut down to meet it. Does that explain what I am talking about better? See photos below. The unthreaded portion of the shaft is about 7.7mm, and an APC 6x4 prop hub is about 6.1mm thick. Proprietary motors that are meant to be used with proprietary spinners often have this problem. For example, I had the exact same problem with my FMS 1400mm Zero when I wanted to use an APC prop on it.

In one photo below, I have both the HK replacement Funfighter motor on the left, and an original-equipment Funfigher motor where I have tried to deal with that problem by fashioning a spacer. It's not an ideal solution though, and it was a pain in the butt to find a suitable piece of hardware and adapt it to make the spacer.

Yes, an X-mount with suitable hole-spacing is not so hard to find...but they should still give you either that, or some other kind of mounting hardware (like the Funfighter motor mount for example). Even ultra-cheap motors come with some kind of mount. I think this is the only motor I've ever bought that came with nothing.

As far as the screws that hold the motor to the X-mount, the problem is not that they are expensive (I didn't say that), but that it uses two different sizes, one of which is an oddball size not usually seen on motors of this size (the smaller size if I recall correctly). That was, and is, my complaint. So exactly WHERE can you get suitable screws to fit this motor? Please tell me.

Attachments

• motorSpan1.jpg
    motorSpan1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 14
  • motorSpan2.jpg
    motorSpan2.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Herk the problem really is the motor comes from hobbyking. When they tell you replacement motor thats all you get a replacement. They expect that your putting the motor back in that aircraft. So you should allready have the parts to install it. Really they suck when it comes to listed parts and info.
Ok the easiest fix i found to use as a spacer if needed with these motors is if you have say some 10inch apc props (others might work) use one or two of the supplied prop adapter washers that comes with the props. They make great spacers and are a nice size for backing.
For the screws i dont remember the part number for them ill check when i get home( i use all avation hardware on my planes. Just cause i can get it from work and its free.) But when i get the PN for them i look up where you can buy them. Or you have the more technical way and thats pulling the motor apart then drill and tapping new holes

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Herk the problem really is the motor comes from hobbyking. When they tell you replacement motor thats all you get a replacement. They expect that your putting the motor back in that aircraft. So you should allready have the parts to install it.

Exactly -- it's a replacement-part motor for a particular line of planes only, and again, that's why I recommended against it for anybody thinking of using it as a motor for another plane. Because now you have to go through the time, aggravation and possibly trial-and-error expense or compromises to get what you need to securely attach the motor to your plane, and the prop to your motor. I'd rather just buy a different motor that is just as good or better, and that comes with everything you normally expect from a new motor. There are tons of motor choices out there, so why settle for some wonky proprietary square peg like the Funfighter motor? For example, here is a motor of exactly the same weight (60g) and nearly the same KV (2000, vs. 1950) that I just put into one of my newest planes last week: http://www.rcdude.com/Cobra-C-2213-12-Brushless-Motor-p/c-2213-12.htm Yes it's a more expensive motor, but there are lots of budget options out there too (like the one I mentioned uptopic).

Using spare prop centering rings for a spacer is a good idea. I would prefer something of a little larger diameter to provide a broader, more secure backing for the prop hub though...which is why I said that my own spacer concoction is less than ideal -- it too is kind of small diameter (about the same diameter as the centering rings).

Last edited:

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
It's thicker - 6.7mm, so with the retaining washer thickness added (if you got one with your motor and didn't lose it), it doesn't have the issue. Without the washer, it does have the issue. The 6x4 is close with the washer (but I wouldn't trust it without an additional spacer). I've had an extra spacer in place on my Rare Bear for years...because the spinner broke early on and I didn't want to worry about whether a prop would or would not be secure if I swapped to a different kind. Those clunky bulbous Funfighter spinners break easily if you aren't careful when assembling and tightening...but I never liked the look of them anyway, and they block cooling air to the motor.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
This thread has given me an idea for something else to try with my trusty old Rare Bear. I had a spinner in a parts box that is not as cartoonishly gargantuan as the stock Funfighter spinner, so it could be a nice way to dress up the old plane and replace the function of the collet spacer, without totally blocking out cooling air -- and even blocking some of the prop airscrew -- like the clunky oversize stock spinner does. Photo attached, with the 'new' spinner holding a 5.25x6.25 prop, and a stock Funfighter motor and spinner off to the right for comparison.

Attachments

• Rudolf1.jpg
    Rudolf1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Corsair funfighter arrived today. This thing is a blast. Gone through 5 - 850mAh 3s cells so far today. Never flown anything with this much power that's so stable.

I really need to get a few 4 cell batteries. The speed is addicting.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Heading out in a few minutes to sucker-punch a buddy and his Corsair in a race. Assuming he shows up... 4S is charged and ready!

Corbarrad

Maybe it's because I'm old, maybe I just don't get to fly enough but the 3s speeds i get out of my fun fighters are plenty fast for me and my dumb thumbs.

Also, I fear for my esc, which is good and warm after a 3s batteries worth of tearing up the grass...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Guess who won? :) Heck, it wasn't even close when I ran the 3S, as his bird is much more scale in flight. In fact, it flies extremely nicely, even with an old Spektrum stock radio without expo or dual rates. He was amazed at the speed of the Fun Fighter as we both cruised around the sky together. It is also kind of funny that both planes have the same design scheme.

And then I asked him to stay on the ground while I tried a "different" battery (the 4S).... :cool:

This was my first time flying with the 4S, and WOW it moves! I dialed the low rates back a bit before flying it, as even with 3S the ailerons have a lot of authority at speed. The 4S flight was 4 minutes of high-speed passes followed by coasting to bleed off speed. This is by far the fastest plane I've ever flown, and it was certainly fun sucker-punching a buddy with it!

IMG_2406.JPG

hyperjet_engine_status_ludicrous_speed_plaid_tees-r6732f348d664469c88963ad6ac3b9b77_f33wv_1024.jpg

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I hinted at a new series a while back and I was able to do some beta testing and community revealing at FF15.

I will be doing a 'fun fighter' type series called the Sonic Series and here is my nnP-39.

GvbIAv7.jpg

It's 650mm wing span and runs off the mighty mini setup all the way to the HK fun fighter 4s setup. I tested the fun fighter setup and it RIPS! It looks to be going about 120mph at full throttle and is whisper quiet. I'll be working on finalizing the plans and shooting content shortly.

I didn't have a way to get it home on the plane with me so our very own Crafty Dan is the proud new owner of my prototype.

iBnUdCq.jpg

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
I look forward to building and flying one of these. I saw your prototype when you announced it at a pilot meeting at FF15. This is one of my favorite size/type of planes. I've got five or six different motors available in my spare motor bin of appropriate size/kv to try on it, starting with this one for a setup on the lightweight side, but still with loads of punch. (that's the motor that was in my HobbyKing Parkjet, which fell victim to a receiver lockout at FF15, and augered in from 200 feet up, RIP).

I think 120 mph might be a little on the optimistic side for a setup with a Funfighter motor. The fastest of the Funfighters is the Rare Bear, and I dopplered my Rare Bear at 108 mph with the stock motor and a 5.25x6.25 prop.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah 120 might be wishful thinking but don't worry, I'll be getting it on radar for an official reading for the release video. Keep in mind though that the weight and build quality will not be the same between a FF and my Sonic Series. Ideally mine will be better and hopefully allow for higher speeds, but we'll see :)

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
BTW: one thing about the Skyangel Funfighters (and the Skyangel minijet series planes too for that matter) is that there's a big difference between the different models as far as how hard they are to hand-launch successfully, and what type of launch technique is more likely to be successful. For me the model that was hands-down the hardest to launch was the Funfighter P-39 Airacobra model. It was so hard to get a successful launch on that darn thing that I gave up on it and scrapped it for that reason alone, after fewer than a dozen successful flights (and I'm not the only one who gave up on it for that reason). It flew just fine once you got it on step, but getting it there was too frustrating. I think the reason it was so hard to launch was because of the way the motor sits up high on that upcurved nose made the model top-heavy, and it wanted to roll inverted to a canopy-down position right after launch, like a pendulum. I actually found that I could launch it from inverted with a better success rate than launching it right side up!...but both were a royal pain.

Just something to consider when beta-testing new models of this type...particularly when wing-loading is high due to heavy high-power setups.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the tip. I don't have any torque roll issues with my P-39 on launch. It wants to dive a little but it's actually really easy to launch.