Timmy's Thread

Timmy

Legendary member
Just down loaded the plans for the Otter and Scout, these are my next 2 builds. I can start joining the pages together over the Christmas holidays while I am in work. It will give me something to do, besides finish my FT Edge and paint my Bushwacker.
yay

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Kept meaning to paint the bushwacker for ages but couldn't decide in the best colour scheme, so kept putting it off. Finally decided I'm going for the green, grey and white colour scheme like the Hobby King Tundra .
Finally found the exact colour match in acrylics today (y).
1608233898363.png
1608233954780.png

Might even cut a bit of the nose off and design a decent removable cowl, so it looks more like the Tundra :unsure: and I can get better access to the motor .
1608234428833.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member
Kept meaning to paint the bushwacker for ages but couldn't decide in the best colour scheme, so kept putting it off. Finally decided I'm going for the green, grey and white colour scheme like the Hobby King Tundra .
Finally found the exact colour match in acrylics today (y).
View attachment 186495 View attachment 186496
Might even cut a bit of the nose off and design a decent removable cowl, so it looks more like the Tundra :unsure: and I can get better access to the motor .
View attachment 186497
You're one of those perfectionists aren't you?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
You're one of those perfectionists aren't you?
Nope, that will be my wife she is the perfectionist (that's why she married me lol :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:). But I do like my models to look decent, so put a bit more effort into the paint jobs.
As the quote says "Painting is such sweet sorrow"

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The tree slapper is a tidy looking plane, if that was a Flite Test model I would have built it by now. It just needs a bit of colour otherwise it will get lost in the grey sky and you could easily lose orientation ?
Something vibrant I would recommend, paricularly if you intend to fly it at any sort of distance or height (y)

Must admit I did the same with my Bushwacker flying it un-painted, only because I was too impatient and wanted see if it would fly. However, I did keep it close in for its maiden, as I could have easily lost orientation that day, as the sky was a greyish white colour and it blended in too well.

Timmy

Legendary member
The tree slapper is a tidy looking plane, if that was a Flite Test model I would have built it by now. It just needs a bit of colour otherwise it will get lost in the grey sky and you could easily lose orientation ?
Something vibrant I would recommend, paricularly if you intend to fly it at any sort of distance or height (y)

Must admit I did the same with my Bushwacker flying it un-painted, only because I was too impatient and wanted see if it would fly. However, I did keep it close in for its maiden, as I could have easily lost orientation that day, as the sky was a greyish white colour and it blended in too well.
It contrasted okay with the sky, it just looks diffirent in the video, I'm sill gonna give it some paint eventually.
Looks great! Seems like it handles nicely on the ground as well.
Ground handling was okay but i gotta make better landing gear.
The stalls were pretty stressful though.
Flaps were awesome, thanks @BATTLEAXE for the idea.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thanks but it stalls terribly, its not a very good plane in general hehe.
Try building a new wing, extend it by 3" each side but ensure the extensions incorporate undercamber in addition to any you already had. alternatively add a touch more dihedral that sometimes helps (y)

Timmy

Legendary member
Try building a new wing, extend it by 3" each side but ensure the extensions incorporate undercamber in addition to any you already had. alternatively add a touch more dihedral that sometimes helps (y)
Thanks. I'll do that when I get a new shipment of FB. I thought about dihederal but its a bush plane and bush planes look weird with dihederal in my opinion. I dunno. I always like dihederal on low-wing planes but it looks funny on high wing planes to me.

Last edited:

Timmy

Legendary member
Here is the Tree Slapper when I turned on the flaps for the first time. I didn't make them extend smoothly and they gave me so much lift I stalled. Skip to the end, the beginning is....bad in terms of footage.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thanks. I'll do that when I get a new shipment of FB. I thought about dihederal but its a bush plane and bush planes look weird with dihederal in my opinion. I dunno. I always like dihederal on low-wing planes but it looks funny on high wing planes to me.
I have a small amount of dihedral on my Bushwacker, it helps with the stability (y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Here is the Tree Slapper when I turned on the flaps for the first time. I didn't make them extend smoothly and they gave me so much lift I stalled. Skip to the end, the beginning is....bad in terms of footage.
Add some rudder in with your ailerons using your mixer, it will help. With some high wings you need co-ordinated turns (y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I finally got around to finishing the wings on my Thresher:

View attachment 186900
Great looking plane, interesting fins you have under the Hstab. I know these faster planes will like a bit more ventral or dorsal fin for yaw stability at higher speeds. These might act like more of a Vtail under the original... just thinking out loud here

Whens the maiden?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Great looking plane, interesting fins you have under the Hstab. I know these faster planes will like a bit more ventral or dorsal fin for yaw stability at higher speeds. These might act like more of a Vtail under the original... just thinking out loud here

Whens the maiden?
Used the iron to round off the edges of my Bushwacker wing, its a brilliant tip.I am planning to do the tail section and corners of my Fuz tonight, thanks made a big improvement to the finish (y)