Ready to fly, it has silly big 9g servos because it is all we had, hoping to fly tonight even though it is way too windy for a maiden.
0916181746.jpg
0916181746_HDR.jpg

It flies! Really well actually. It was blowing about 10mph but we flew it anyhow. What a little missile, and the rate of roll is unlike anything I have ever flown. It must easily roll at over 720 deg per second if not more. Flew 3 packs before the daylight ran out and my son lost orientation and lawn darted it into a tree :) M
0916182019_HDR.jpg
ost of the damage is from getting it out of the tree by throwing logs at it. We will rebuild! As tempting as it is to just glue it back together I think we will just start over . Happy building!

w1lp33

Moved the cg forward just a little bit from the plans, and with about 1mm of reflex she glides long and straight, I love it :)

w1lp33

Also don't forgo the bbq skewer along the canard. I forgot it initially and after 3-4 test tosses I'd already almost ripped one off. Solid as a rock with the skewer on there.

After some great success yesterday with both the glider and the powered version today I decided I wanted to make it bigger. I have been wanting to try scaling a set of plans and this seemed like a logical choice for a first try since the parts count is relatively small. As you can imagine it is not as simple as just scaling the plans since all of the tabs and slots also grow while the foam thickness is of course a constant. I settled on 140 pct since that is the biggest I could go while still having the parts fit on a sheet without any seams. Now it takes two sheets to cut one out rather than just one. The parts came out great, and it is actually quite easy to assemble the larger version. Overall the design lends it self to changing the size due to the way the parts fit together.
0917181404b.jpg
I hope to get it in the air by this weekend.
0917181404.jpg
0917181404.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
want to be able to see it. it is ready to fly, just needs to dry and then do canopy in black, maybe some stripes? :unsure: i have a 5x4x3 and a 6x4.5 prop to try. want the 3 blade to win but guess i will eventually end up with the 6".
20180918_175330.jpg

saturday promises to be fun, maybe 4 diff maidens... (y)

laters,

me :cool:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It flies! Really well actually. It was blowing about 10mph but we flew it anyhow. What a little missile, and the rate of roll is unlike anything I have ever flown. It must easily roll at over 720 deg per second if not more. Flew 3 packs before the daylight ran out and my son lost orientation and lawn darted it into a tree :) M View attachment 114904 ost of the damage is from getting it out of the tree by throwing logs at it. We will rebuild! As tempting as it is to just glue it back together I think we will just start over . Happy building!
Mine looked pretty much like yours after its maiden....waaay too windy for it, I shouldn't have flown it. 😁😁

Got my pieces together and about to start gluing here soon. I noticed this, what's the reflex gauge for?
I Think of reflex as trim in a way. In this case it is the amount of up eleven that the plane needs to obtain neutral flight. Think of it as the plane always needing a little bit of up elevon to obtain straight and level flight. The gauge that comes with the plans is to help you set the control surfaces before your first flight. For what it is worth I found out that I did not need the full amount indicated by the gauge in this case. Happy building!

basslord1124

Master member
I Think of reflex as trim in a way. In this case it is the amount of up eleven that the plane needs to obtain neutral flight. Think of it as the plane always needing a little bit of up elevon to obtain straight and level flight. The gauge that comes with the plans is to help you set the control surfaces before your first flight. For what it is worth I found out that I did not need the full amount indicated by the gauge in this case. Happy building!

Ah gotcha. Thanks!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
servo failed today. I could tell something was wrong and was bringing in on final when it just nosed straight down.

20180929_145057.jpg

It is a fun flyer, rolls are crazy, but on 2S w 6.45r it couldn't loop. I wanted to try 3S but never got chance.

next one(s) w be prototypes of Rasterize's new skins. just waiting on his email.

stay tuned..

servo failed today. I could tell something was wrong and was bringing in on final when it just nosed straight down.

View attachment 115699

It is a fun flyer, rolls are crazy, but on 2S w 6.45r it couldn't loop. I wanted to try 3S but never got chance.

next one(s) w be prototypes of Rasterize's new skins. just waiting on his email.

stay tuned..

3s is the way to go! First I have heard of the skins.....interesting.

basslord1124

Master member
Getting there. Have to put it on hold until servos come in. I have all the other electronics actually.

One of my sloppier builds in my opinion, but it should still be ok.

Attachments

• 0930181133.jpg
    0930181133.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0