mrjdstewart

Legendary member
SAGE airfield. it's out in the middle of nowhere Avra Valley. normal days for flying are Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. start around 7am and fly until 10.30 ish. if interested let me know and i can get you some more info and driving directions.

laters,

me :cool:

PoorManRC

Master member
I've heard of SAGE Airfield. Didn't realize it was so far NW.... I live far NE.
I'm definitely interested!!! I'm not quite ready for flying yet (still Building), but would like to check things out.

Headbang

Master member
@Headbang You'd never know the Thrust Angle was off....
That Flies GREAT!!! 👏👏👏👏👏👏🍻🍻 I've really got to get me one.
When I was at heavy throttle it took a lot of down elevator to keep it from climbing. It was fine on low throttle. It needs maybe 2-4deg down thrust from where it is at. Could be I just installed the power pod at an angle somehow. Build took less then an hour, and another 5mins of paint. So maybe I overlooked something.

PoorManRC

Master member
When I was at heavy throttle it took a lot of down elevator to keep it from climbing. It was fine on low throttle. It needs maybe 2-4deg down thrust from where it is at. Could be I just installed the power pod at an angle somehow. Build took less then an hour, and another 5mins of paint. So maybe I overlooked something.

Probably just some small adjustment.... ;)

basslord1124

Master member
Was checking my CG last night with my Long EZ...OMG, my 2 cell just isn't gonna work. Need lots of nose weight to balance it out. I originally thought of using this old 2S 800Mah that I have, BUT I think I'm better off with going with a 3 cell instead. And even with a 3 cell way up in the nose, I still may have to add some weight, but we'll see about that. I am using this motor here:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/d2826-6-2200kv-outrunner-motor.html

As I had it laying around not being used. Think it's part of the reason for the tail weight...plus all I had was 9g servos.

I also dialed in my reflex/up elevator settings as well as some starting points for high/low rates. Now just gotta get the weight/CG sorted out.

PoorManRC

Master member
I may have finally found the Plane that can handle my 3600 mAh 2S Lipo!!
I'm still really curious about doing this one...

Headbang

Master member
I have a 3s 800mAh stuffed as far forward as possible. It balanced about right and flew well like that. I did find my thrust angle issue. Somehow I had about 3deg up thrust causing my climb issue.

basslord1124

Master member
Well electronics aside, the Long EZ cost me $1.40. $1 for the foamboard and 40 cents in change (1 quarter and 3 nickels) to get it to balance right. I ended up using 9g servos and probably a little heavier motor (its all I had) than what others may use. Hope its chunky butt will fly lol.

basslord1124

Master member
Well I just attempted a maiden flight (video to come soon) and crash of my Long EZ. I think the fact that my arm was close to the prop for launching it made for a less than adequate hand launch (made me nervous). She was up for a few seconds and then skidded on the ground. It broke the front canards but it looks like they shouldn't be a big deal to fix. After that experience though, I kinda feel like launching was as bad as I envisioned...so maybe next time will be a better launch.

MooreRC

Well I just attempted a maiden flight (video to come soon) and crash of my Long EZ. I think the fact that my arm was close to the prop for launching it made for a less than adequate hand launch (made me nervous). She was up for a few seconds and then skidded on the ground. It broke the front canards but it looks like they shouldn't be a big deal to fix. After that experience though, I kinda feel like launching was as bad as I envisioned...so maybe next time will be a better launch.
The same thing happened to my LongEZ it crashed after it cut my dads hand during the launch. Haven't tried to fly it since.
Hope you get yours flying soon

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I build and fly a large number of rear engine designs including canards. If you fear prop strike there are a couple of simple methods to avoid even the possibility.

Use a bungee launcher, fit undercarriage and ground launch or launch the aircraft with ZERO throttle, (you may need to throw it a little harder than usual), and open the throttle once the plane is in its glide!

Have fun!

basslord1124

Master member
I like the underhand approach AND the launch at zero throttle then open up throttle. I may try the underhand thing first. Someone else mentioned a wingtip launch which I know is more common for flying wings.