AP Sperber Mini Sport Glider Swappable (800 mm | 31.50 in)

dgrigor02

Mine is mostly complete. Just have to glue the tail.

I don't know if its the plans or my printer but the widths for all the B folds gaps are a bit too tight for the Adams Foam Board. I had to cut apart the sides of B folds leaving the paper on the bottoms and glue them. It was too tight and couldn't get a 90degree fold witthout cutting them. Not a big deal, I have to do that often on resized plans anyhow so I'm used to it.

The wing cutouts are a bit tight as well and pulled apart the top of the fuselage a bit trying to force it in.

Not perfect but everything thus far has aligned up just fine.

Last edited:

Winglet

Don't think it is your printer. Did the same with mine. No big deal. Thanks for the heads up on the fuselage opening. I will make mine a bit larger.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
I'm happy that you like it!

Thank you for the advice with the B folds. My FoamBoard is only 3mm. Which thickness have your FoamBoards? Which thickness would you like for an updated build plan - 4 or 5 mm?

Winglet

Looks like this thread is picking up traction as the official build thread. (much more than the one I started) Lets' post as much as we can here?

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
A BETA-plan for foamboards with a thickness of 3/16" (Adams, Ross, ...) and some other changes is available here: DOWNLOADS deactivated

SPERBER_MSG_PLAN_V1_3.JPG

I ordered foamboards with a thickness of 5mm similar to 3/16" and i will test this plan, when the foamboards are there.:)

Last edited:

Winglet

Wing and new plan

Finished the wing and would like to complete the airplane using the new plan. I need to be able to print it in tile. Any chance you could put it in that format for me? I will finish it up and report in as to how the new plan works.

Thank you very much!
Mike

Attachments

• wing.JPG
    wing.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 2

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The wing looks good!

You are welcome! I added the BETA-plan in tiled letter format.

DOWNLOAD deactivated

The cutout for the wing of the new fuselage will not match the old wing. The new wing has different dimensions. Also the middle part of the new wing is somewhat wider (disappearing in the fuselage) than the old one. Also the new fuselage is wider.

I'm sorry, but the old wing and the new fuselage - this would not be easy!

Last edited:

Winglet

Thanks a lot. That was fast. I'm sure I can adapt the old wing to the new fuse. Now, back to the shop!

slyke

Removing paper

A BETA-plan for foamboards with a thickness of 3/16" (Adams, Ross, ...) and some other changes is available here:

SPERBER_MINI_SPORT_GLIDER_FULL_NOT_TESTED.pdf

I reformatted the plan to fit on 11 x 17" printer paper and I plan to build it on Dollar Tree foam board.

The fuselage has labels "Remove paper to reduce weight" - did you remove all the paper on the inside of the fuselage or just in the sections from the crease back to the tail?

Thanks for the plans
Stephen

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The label is only for the paper just in the sections from the crease back to the tail. I don't know how much the reduced weight is, but it would help to get the perfect center of gravity.

I placed the 950mAh 3S nano-tech lipo totally in the front of the power pod to have the perfect CG.

Thank you for building this plane! Please post a picture of the finished product.

Sperber in flight:
web_Sperber_in_flight.png

slyke

I just printed out the previous version last night. Are there changes from the 'not tested' version for 5mm foam board?
-Stephen

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Yes, there are a few small changes that can be applied to a printed previous version.

LEFT and RIGHT WING (parts 1 and 2): The shape of the cut-outs for the servos has been changed. You can customize this for your own servos.

OUTER SPAR (Part 3): This part is 1mm shorter on the short outside.

FUSELAGE (Part 6): The cut-out for the bottom flap has been extended up to the inner outer edge of the fuselage. At the end of the rear lower cover two 45° bevels were inserted. The cutout of the vertical stabilizer on the top cover for has been extended up to 1mm.

CANOPY FRONT MOUNT (Part 10) and stopper (Part 11): These parts were previously too narrow. Since I made the fuselage wider, even these parts had to be wider.

CONTROL HORN (Part 14): The form has been simplified to cut.

SEDCARD (part 18): The shape has been adapted to the shape of the airfoil.

Merrixs

I have printed the plans and have them taped together. (So exciting) Hopefully during the holidays I will have some time to get the pieces cut out and built.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Updated plan soon available (FOR FREE): The new Sperber!

800x500_sperber_001_i.jpg

The nose is 10mm longer, so the battery has more space for the perfect CG.
The wing, the elevator and the rudder are now rounded for a better look.

But the best is:
The all up weight is less than 250 g (8.82 oz). It is only 215 g (7.58 oz) with a 2S setup and only 240 g (8.47 oz) with a 3S setup. The FT Water-Resistant Foam Board made it possible. It is much lighter than my old european foam board. The wingspan is still 800 mm (31.50 in)!

Now it needs a good maiden flight and the build plan will be published.

By the way: You need only one sheet of Foam Board to build this plane. :cool:

Merrixs

I have not been on the forum for quite some time, but this thread was the first one that I came back to check on. Nice to see that you are still working with this design. I still have not built my own, but I still have the plans ready to go.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Updated plan soon available (FOR FREE): The new Sperber!

800x500_sperber_001_i.jpg

The nose is 10mm longer, so the battery has more space for the perfect CG.
The wing, the elevator and the rudder are now rounded for a better look.

But the best is:
The all up weight is less than 250 g (8.82 oz). It is only 215 g (7.58 oz) with a 2S setup and only 240 g (8.47 oz) with a 3S setup. The FT Water-Resistant Foam Board made it possible. It is much lighter than my old european foam board. The wingspan is still 800 mm (31.50 in)!

Now it needs a good maiden flight and the build plan will be published.

By the way: You need only one sheet of Foam Board to build this plane. :cool:

SWEET!!! is it powered of an A pack?