FTFC20 Bellanca Aircruiser C-27A by Matagami Designs

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Sneak- Peek :sneaky:

Paint 1.jpg

Sheriff

I would keep all the part exactly the same, but hold the wheel/pants assembly with a rubber band going over the strut. The accentuated V shape will hold everything in the right place and lets it move if the landing is too rough.

For the floats, glue them to a second pair of pants without the wheel and attach to the strut with the same rubber band scheme.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I think you underestimate just how LIGHT this model is. If you watch the video where I flew this airplane, landing on the ground is not an issue. It flopped right over due to the grass surface and even the rotation and inertia of all the weight landing on the rudder/v-stab when it flipped over, there was not a scratch of damage. As-designed, and I've built a lot of heavy models in the 15-pound + range, I would not change a single thing.

Sheriff

We agree, no need to change anything for the land version of this Aircruiser. If the wheel/pants should ever come loose, it means the rest of the plane is probably also badly damaged due to a major facebuster.

However, floats will be like strapping skies to your feet; there needs to be a fail-safe point or your ankles are doomed.
Simply a wrong move while carrying the aircraft could rip/tear the wheel pants if the bond is too stiff.

Last edited:

Matagami Designs

Master member
So here is my first attempt at making a float. I decided to go with a V-hull design for the aesthetics but it takes a bit of patience to build out.
1569986568534.png

20191001_220025.jpg
20191001_221617.jpg
20191001_232004.jpg
20191001_231731.jpg

It looks good to me but not sure how to make sure it is water tight/proof. Anyways I've not come up with a mechanism to make them swappable for V2 yet and i don't plan on flying off of floats anytime soon since i am still no good at flying off land. :ROFLMAO:

Sheriff

Looking at my diagram it would appear that thrust will also create a slight nose down moment. This also seems to indicate that negative incidence on the horizontal stabilizer may be warranted.

!! The floats look awesome !!

With the maiden flight confirming that the vertical distance between the engine (thrust) and the wing (drag) creates a nose-up moment, how many degrees of down-thrust have you added to your V2 ?

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Looks Great @Aviator08.(y) What motor/prop combo are you planning on running?

I will use the FT power pack C motor with a 3cell 2200mAh battery. I have used this same combination on a lot of my designs and it works well. As for the prop, I found the three blade shown in the photos and will see how that works. ( very scientific I know :geek: )

Matagami Designs

Master member
Matagami Designs ; How do you access the receiver / battery after completion?

Just like @willsonman said. load the battery via the nose, install the power pod, then make the connections to your Rx through the opening at the windshield. If your watching the build guide you can see at 7:08 the bamboo skewer that connects the left and right sides of the windshield which will help provide the friction fit once the wing is glued down.

Do you think you will have it flying this weekend? :)

Sheriff

I hope to fly it Sunday morning if the wind holds off.

Tell me where you live and I will tell you the winds on Sunday via the Super-Powers of www.Windy.com

As en exemple, next sunday, around Québec city, it will get more and more windy as day progress. Saturday Morning would be much better.

Good luck with your first flight !

Attachments

• Saturday.PNG
    Saturday.PNG
    776.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Sunday.PNG
    Sunday.PNG
    802.4 KB · Views: 0