ImpulseRC Alien build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Invid is right. The Alien kit has a fantastic, 1/4" thick rubber lipo pad with an adhesive backing that perfectly fits the top plate. Use rubberized straps like the RGs or Lumenier and the lipo isn't going far.

This is one of the little reasons why Alien is the top of the line.

Topdawg

Sounds great. Thanks everyone for the heads up. I do use the rubberized straps just use velcro instead of the rubber. I like the look of the rubber a littler bit better though.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
I go into angle mode and bring her in about 5 meters away, pop up my goggles and land LOS. Awesome flying and builds gentlemen :cool:

Invid

I go into Horizon mode for landings.
I go into angle mode and bring her in about 5 meters away, pop up my goggles and land LOS. Awesome flying and builds gentlemen :cool:

Ha. This didn't even occur to me until after I got home! I usually just fly under the goggles from takeoff until landing. I'd set up horizon mode, but only so that I'd have something to recover with in the event of a video failure...never even occurred to me to use it to land!

All in all, it was pretty sloppy, but my "excuse" is that it was a true maiden...before this I'd never flown it except a LOS hover inside to be sure everything worked. :p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
About what I do. It's easy if you are looking at something you know, like yourself. It gives you perspective. Get close and drop it. You get the hang of it in a few.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I've decided to decommission my 6" quad and build a second 5" quad so I'll have primary and backup 5" Aliens. I picked up a seconds 5" frame a couple weeks ago.

Most of the carbon parts have very minor scuffs like this:

As Paul said in his video on the seconds Aliens, your first landing will likely scuff the carbon worse than this.

Here are the carbon pieces I'm using:

One of the things I like about the Alien kits is that all of the hardware is separated out so that all of the hardware for a common task is together.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm going to try out the FrSky XSR receiver for this build. This is what it looks like out of the box.

Here it is compared to two X4R-SBs -- one in the case, and one bare.

It's noticeably smaller and the antennas are shorter.

Last edited: