Twitchity mini hex build

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Love it! I've already chipped a good bit of paint off the ends of my painted quad arms with all the unexpected "landings" I've been suffering trying to work out the gremlins. May have to repaint it when I tear it down for new ESC's.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Thanks!

Yeah, I don't expect the paint job to look this good for long.

Yeah, just wait until there are lights and motors and all the exciting stuff on it!!!

Like a good football helmet, it isn't loved without a few 'stick marks' on it. :)

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
It will be a little while before I have the parts to complete this build. I did a quick assembly of the bottom plates and booms to get an idea what this hex will look like in the mean time.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Man that is sharp! Get some white heatshrink and use white Arduino wires for servo wires.

Whatever secondary color you use is gonna POP!

Twitchity

The hex looks even better now that it's together for that picture. Have you run into any problems/complaints about the frame yet, or does everything look good to you so far? This is the exact same design cranial has but in G10 and not CF so hopefully you won't experience any issues.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I love my G10 Twitchity Hex. I had to steal the Naze and a Sunnysky from it to re-build my WarpQuad and the Polakium hex.

New Sunnyskys on order and I will be replacing the Naze and restoring this copter to flight. I plan to leave it bare and not add the top cage to keep it < 400 grams.

Of course, now that I have seen the white, my purple and green is starting to look dated... :)

C0d3M0nk3y

The hex looks even better now that it's together for that picture. Have you run into any problems/complaints about the frame yet, or does everything look good to you so far? This is the exact same design cranial has but in G10 and not CF so hopefully you won't experience any issues.

Everything has been good so far.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
That white looks so awesome! That is such a cool advantage of G10 over CF :D

The white does look killer, I'm also sick of all black multis!

But...to be fair...CF can be painted. People just don't like to because that's kind of half the point of going CF on most of these designs - to get the "CF look". And even when it is a design that does take advantage of CF properly people don't tend to like painting over it because they paid for the CF and want to show off that it really is CF :D

And of course painting over black is a big pain to do well!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
The matte finish on my Twitchity Hex is beautiful. I thought about joking with Twitchity that I couldn't get the purple paint to stick to it, but that joke was just too far out there. :)

I mean, I didn't want to give the guy a coronary. :)

The original G10 that Twitchity made my first version from was a light color and was VERY easily painted over.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The light green, translucent G10 that comes from ePlasitcs (I believe that's where you got yours Twitchity, and I bought mine) also accepts epoxy very well if you scuff it a bit.

Twitchity

The matte finish on my Twitchity Hex is beautiful. I thought about joking with Twitchity that I couldn't get the purple paint to stick to it, but that joke was just too far out there. :)

I mean, I didn't want to give the guy a coronary. :)

The original G10 that Twitchity made my first version from was a light color and was VERY easily painted over.

You'd be reading about me in the morning paper the next day if you said you painted that CF! I'm not a big fan of CF, but that twill weave with a matte finish really grew on me the more I saw it, and once the hex was built I knew that was the finish I'll be sticking with. I don't like shiny objects (can't stand chrome... I'd rather have brushed aluminum) so the matte CF was perfect. I was actually tossing around the idea of screen printing a design on the top of the cage plate, or even doing custom designs. I'm just not sure what kind of paint to use, or how well it will stick to unsanded CF (although that matte finish has a slight papery texture feel to it).

If I didn't know better, I would think CodeMonkey had the natural G10 for his frame due to how well the paint covered the black. He is a master at the rattle can paint job, I can tell you that much!

And yes, my G10 comes from ePlastics. I have ordered from McMaster-Carr but the ePlastics product seems to be of a much higher quality.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
The paint job steps codemonkey used will be used on my next build. I love his results. I never considered sanding after I paint. I am going to have to try that out.

C0d3M0nk3y

The paint job steps codemonkey used will be used on my next build. I love his results. I never considered sanding after I paint. I am going to have to try that out.

Oh, you've got to try it. It gets rid of the feel of the paint. Mine feels just as smooth as unpainted G10.

Invid

Wow. That looks great CodeMonkey. I wish I had your patience when it comes to building. I just jump in and throw it together. I built mine in an afternoon the day after it came and only got a test hop in before my 5V BEC popped and grounded me (no spare, but a couple are on order).

That said, I did a temporary wiring loom to run the Naze and Rx from the 600mw IRC video transmitter's 5V output so that I could get a lipo through it. I plan to have a flight video to post from this upcoming weekend, but you shouldn't expect too much since the hex scares me! Just from hovering around this thing has a TON of power so I'll probably be a little tentative with the sticks at first.

Here's a quick shot from before I cleaned up the wiring some...I hope to have some more when my weekend hits since work has been crazy.

photo 1s.jpg photo 2s.jpg photo 4s.jpg

Twitchity

Your hex looks great Invid, especially with the anodized purple hardware. That GoPro looks gigantic on the hex, or the frame is just really that small (I can't tell yet). I noticed you have a second antenna coming out, is that one for your receiver? Would love to see some more closeup shots once you get the time.

If you don't mind saying, where did you purchase your aluminum hardware from? I was looking into Fastener Express, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Can't wait to hear how it performs and your opinion on the hex once you get some flight time in. I'm assuming you're flying it FPV since I can see the vtx antenna, how was the mounting of the FPV cam? Did you run into any issues with it?